Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,841
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Phil at the forum for Ayn Rand fans

    Wow, Phil Elmore actually belongs to a forum for Ayn Rand fans.

    His profile: http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index.php?showuser=330

    A funny post:

    Also, be extremely careful when using Wikipedia for martial arts research. There are political feuds between several opposed martial groups whose supporters constantly edit and re-edit (sometimes incompetently) each other's entries.
    Aha, of course:

    I used to suffer from what one doctor called "generalized anxiety" and what many would call OCD. I had severe hypochondria and used to engage in a number of rituals (the rationality of which varied) to prevent [often unspecified] "germs" from "getting on me." This could be as mild as refusing to touch door handles with my bare hands, to moderate examples like overusing antibacterial lotion, to extreme problems like obsessing during waking hours over bizarre scenarios in which I might have contracted some fatal (or permanent but non-life-threatening) illness through casual contact with othe people and objects.

    I knew, even as it was explained to me, that my fears were irrational, and I knew the explanations were themselves perfectly reasonable. This did not change anything about how I used to obsess and worry and be afraid.

    One day... it went away. I made a conscious decision to touch a doorhandle with my bare hand -- and I went from there. I attribute my release from hypochondria and related obsessions to training in the martial arts, to becoming more confident and more assertive. I honestly do not know to what else I could attribute the abrupt cessation of my obsessions. Is there some precedent for this type of "cure?" Does my experience stop short of actual OCD?

    Phil's cutting edge take on the role of the UN:

    That is a sculpture outside the United Nations. The UN actively promotes disarmament and the eradication of "small arms" throughout the world -- which means that it opposes your Constitutionally protected right to own a firearm. Opposed as I am to their goals I could not resist getting my picture with the sculpture.

    Interestingly, the sculpture was very popular with all the other tourists; I had to wait my turn and then hurry to get the shot.
    Thank you, Phil, for apparently siding with the militia groups and their fear of the UN on the grounds of disarmament. If you knew anything about politics you'd know that disarmament as it applies to the international arena really dosen't have much to do with small arms in the US, but rather has more to do with the proliferation of conflicts in the developing world.

    http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index...ult_type=posts

    EDIT: Here's the martial arts thread: http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index.php?showtopic=1230
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 6/11/2005 7:23pm at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, those people have $ instead of shurijkeins (wait! we don´t have ´em no more!)

  3. #3
    BSDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    2,024
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No wonder he hates grappling and would never try it.

    My good friend has a similar problem being close proximity to other people who are sweaty (other than her boyfriend) without becoming extremely disgusted. It eliminates the possibility of her training in a grappling art with other partners. The thought of doing it makes her sick, I had to explain to her that grappling is really enjoyable and that with good hygiene and a clean dojo there is nothing disgusting about it. Phil on the other hand seems to have decided to take his OCD onto a whole new level, where he is crusading against grappling saying how “dangerous” it is, and discouraging others from practicing it.

    I have lived with people who have been diagnosed with OCD. They see something that needs to be changed in order to remove a danger or contamination, and they relentlessly do what it takes to try and effect that change. My moms ex boyfriend would pick up every piece of trash he would see... he would even float by trash in his boat and pick it out of a lake. My step brother would polish clean the steel ball water faucet handles every day and take 5 showers a day.

    You live around this kind of behavior and you try to find reasons why it happens. The neurophysiology of OCD is that there is heightened activity in the cingulate gyrus region of the brain. This gives a person the feeling that something is going wrong, as if their brain is stuck repeating “oops, oops, oops”, so they keep doing it, and they can never wash, clean, check, organize, or collect enough to satisfy that problem in their brain. Severe cases call for a cingulotomy brain surgery where the cingulate gyrus is lacerated in order to reduce the high activity levels.

  4. #4
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    No wonder he hates grappling and would never try it.
    And his irrational fixation on avoiding the homeless.

    Maybe we should arrange for "our Phil" to meet Dr. Phil.

  5. #5
    Lampa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funniest part is that he's not the biggest loser when amongst Ayn Rand fans. I once wrote a page on the biggest **** I ever took that was more subtle and artful than The Fountainhead.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sunny Hawaii
    Posts
    4,972
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin

    Aha, of course:

    "I used to suffer from what one doctor called "generalized anxiety" and what many would call OCD. I had severe hypochondria and used to engage in a number of rituals (the rationality of which varied) to prevent [often unspecified] "germs" from "getting on me." This could be as mild as refusing to touch door handles with my bare hands, to moderate examples like overusing antibacterial lotion, to extreme problems like obsessing during waking hours over bizarre scenarios in which I might have contracted some fatal (or permanent but non-life-threatening) illness through casual contact with othe people and objects.

    I knew, even as it was explained to me, that my fears were irrational, and I knew the explanations were themselves perfectly reasonable. This did not change anything about how I used to obsess and worry and be afraid.

    One day... it went away. I made a conscious decision to touch a doorhandle with my bare hand -- and I went from there. I attribute my release from hypochondria and related obsessions to training in the martial arts, to becoming more confident and more assertive. I honestly do not know to what else I could attribute the abrupt cessation of my obsessions. Is there some precedent for this type of "cure?" Does my experience stop short of actual OCD?
    Why am I not surprised? What a basketcase.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sunny Hawaii
    Posts
    4,972
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    And his irrational fixation on avoiding the homeless.

    Maybe we should arrange for "our Phil" to meet Dr. Phil.
    I wonder what would happen if I sneezed on my hand and wiped it off on phil's face, he'd probably have a seizer. :icon_pira
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

  8. #8
    Robot Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    431
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa
    The funniest part is that he's not the biggest loser when amongst Ayn Rand fans. I once wrote a page on the biggest **** I ever took that was more subtle and artful than The Fountainhead.
    What are you talking about, the Fountainhead was incredibly well written, if philosophically flawed.

    Suddenly Phil is making a lot more sense

    “this work is similar enough to mine that anyone who reads it will be an asshole for at least a month afterwards.- Ann Rand” taken from the back of America the book
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...818978-2363816

  9. #9
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MEGA JESUS-SAN vs Robot Jesus.

    Who will win?

    PL

  10. #10
    Lampa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus
    What are you talking about, the Fountainhead was incredibly well written, if philosophically flawed.

    You'd think that a female lead being such a one-dimentional symbol rather than an actual character would be a throw back to a literary tradition of Herman Mellville and other American authors of the previous era. However, this is not the case. Rand was just such an unfeeling bitch that her ability to understand the woman's part in a relationship was on par with that of stuffy old men from the 19th and 20th century who didn't give a **** if women even had names.

    I'd start to list my other problems with the writing but, with any luck on the side of literature, you would have been killed by being sucked into the void where your good taste should be by the time I finished typing. If not, perfaps you would enjoy the tasteful and non-repetitive Demon Lord.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO