Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    The boxing gyms that are a bit rundown are probably the best ones out there. That shows that they're getting some good hard use and that they train hard. I hate going into yuppie gyms that have brand-new bags and Ab-Jabs and the big fitness balls with mirrors all around and with cardio machines in the back. The kind with blood still on the ring floor, duct tape on the heavy bags, and salty old coaches who carry around bottles full of dipspit and look uglier than a Wookie may not look pretty, but I guarantee you'll get some good hard training.
    Absolutely!!! By the way, I feel the same way about weight rooms.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about jumping the gun, because until you actually check out any of these schools yourself, there's no way of knowing which one is better for you. Personally I would go with boxing, or if you can find a school close enough, BJJ. Maybe that's just personal bias, but there's some logic behind it as well.

Boxing is usually relatively inexpensive and will greatly improve your hand striking skills. Also, at a boxing gym you can usually spar as much or little as you like. You can also usually make your own training schedule which can be of great benefit when your a 1L. Your first year you will be spending a lot of time in the library with your nose buried in books. I'm not sure how active you are, but before I started law school, I spent very little time sitting on my ass. All those hours in the library were uncomfortable enough, but being all banged up made it even worse. So with boxing, you'll be able to regulate your sparring according to your academic schedule.

As for BJJ, well what can I say. It rocks. The logic though is that it's typically too expensive, thus difficult to justify if not working.

I would recommend judo because it would probably be affordable, but in my opinion, the risk of injury is too high to bear during your 1st yr. of law school.

Also, off topic. Not working during 1L is probably a good idea, but I would recommend working that 1st summer and as much as your grades will allow for the remainder of school. It'll give you good practical experience that you won't get in school, but most of all it will help keep your loans down (assuming you're borrowing). Do anything you can to keep those loans down.
    Last edited by lawdog; 6/11/2005 7:11pm at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must say out of obligation look for a Kyokushin dojo. ha ha ha !!

Anyway. Good to see you found a decent Bujinkan dojo. If you wish to continue doing bujinkan - go for it. Even if its only once per week. As for the martial arts schools you listed. I would cross of mantis kung fu and AIkido. The only one that looks reputable is SHotokan But check them all out. See how intense their training is. How much sparring they do - is the instructor a dickhead or easy to get along with and so forth.

But DO NOT choose out of desparation. If a dojo is crap do not train their because thats the only thing avilable.

So to summarise. If you like Bujinkan, train there. Once per week will keep your skills up. For the rest of your time train at another martial arts place whick is worth while. If you can't get it, lift weights and run.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 3:58am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Absolutely!!! By the way, I feel the same way about weight rooms.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about jumping the gun, because until you actually check out any of these schools yourself, there's no way of knowing which one is better for you. Personally I would go with boxing, or if you can find a school close enough, BJJ. Maybe that's just personal bias, but there's some logic behind it as well.

Boxing is usually relatively inexpensive and will greatly improve your hand striking skills. Also, at a boxing gym you can usually spar as much or little as you like. You can also usually make your own training schedule which can be of great benefit when your a 1L. Your first year you will be spending a lot of time in the library with your nose buried in books. I'm not sure how active you are, but before I started law school, I spent very little time sitting on my ass. All those hours in the library were uncomfortable enough, but being all banged up made it even worse. So with boxing, you'll be able to regulate your sparring according to your academic schedule.

As for BJJ, well what can I say. It rocks. The logic though is that it's typically too expensive, thus difficult to justify if not working.

I would recommend judo because it would probably be affordable, but in my opinion, the risk of injury is too high to bear during your 1st yr. of law school.

Also, off topic. Not working during 1L is probably a good idea, but I would recommend working that 1st summer and as much as your grades will allow for the remainder of school. It'll give you good practical experience that you won't get in school, but most of all it will help keep your loans down (assuming you're borrowing). Do anything you can to keep those loans down.
    Well, Baylor doesn't allow 1Ls to work, and thankfully my grandfather put away lots of savings for my education before he passed away, so between that and my girlfriend's job I ought to make it out OK. I can't find any BJJ or judo in Waco. They were the first things I looked for.

Thanks for the advice.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 4:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I must say out of obligation look for a Kyokushin dojo. ha ha ha !!

Anyway. Good to see you found a decent Bujinkan dojo. If you wish to continue doing bujinkan - go for it. Even if its only once per week. As for the martial arts schools you listed. I would cross of mantis kung fu and AIkido. The only one that looks reputable is SHotokan But check them all out. See how intense their training is. How much sparring they do - is the instructor a dickhead or easy to get along with and so forth.

But DO NOT choose out of desparation. If a dojo is crap do not train their because thats the only thing avilable.

So to summarise. If you like Bujinkan, train there. Once per week will keep your skills up. For the rest of your time train at another martial arts place whick is worth while. If you can't get it, lift weights and run.
    Lifting weights and running (I have a Gold's membership) is already part of my daily routine, so I'll keep that up. Mostly, I want a place with bags and mats where I can practice my taijutsu and mix it with whatever else I find useful. The problem with so many Bujinkan dojo in the US and other places is that things get too political, and sensei start to care more about "only train with me" rather than "train with who is best for you." My teacher recommended this sensei to me, and after a brief e-mail conversation, I can say he's probably a good guy. He charges $5 a class to cover the cost of utilities and is only admitting me as a student based on the recommendation of my current teacher, so that he can keep class sizes small. His lineage is pretty impressive (started in 1984 under Bud Malmstrom), and my teacher says that he is fairly easy going and not a dickhead at all.

No word yet as to whether he allows sparring or whatnot.

My only reservation about the Shotokan guys (it's a college club, so the dues will be low and the instructor probably not a dick) is that their punching and kicking is so radically different from the punches and kicks in taijutsu. I'd hate to have to go in with a few years of taijutsu training and have to unlearn all of that for the Shotokan.

I pretty much ruled out the mantis kung fu, simply because I think that it would be "too foreign" that what I already know. I may still drop by the Yoseikan guys to see if they are any good or not. If I can use my taijutsu to throw around their higher ranked students, I think I'll pass on training there.

I may try to get in touch with the people who maintained the BJJ club's site, but I'm not optimistic. They have updates and stuff on there only up to 2001.

If nothing else, maybe there will be some punching bags in the gym where I can just work out.

As a side note, I think I may take up JKD and vale tudo in Austin before I leave, and just enjoy all the schools here while I can. At the very least, that would give me some routines and additional techniques to work on even if I can't find anywhere else.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 4:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work on what I need to work on 2 hours a day.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 5:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ara.

You are correct. Most Bujinkan dojos are political. Before I started training in Kyokushin Karate, I was doing Bujinkan. My Bujinkan instructor was a great guy.Really nice and had an easy going personality. He didn't give a **** about any of his students training in other martial arts apart from Bujinkan. In fact if they did he asked them to come into class and test it out on him. He was by far one of the best fighters I have ever met.

But its not just the Bujinkan guys who are political. Most martial arts are. Kyokushin I find is ver,very political. You get " Oh, Mas Oyama believed in this he wouldn't want us to change" then some other guys says different. Who cares ? The politics of the school do not matter just as long as they are offering decent quality training.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Like I said if your happy doing doing Bujinkan, keep on doing it even if its only once per week. Keep up lifting weights too. But Shotokan can help. You won't have to unlearn anything. Shotokan won't harm your Bujinakn training. If anything you'll learn a greater varity of kicks, do pad work and get some sparring practice. How is that a bad thing ?

But like I said check out the Shotokan place first. If they don't do any hard sparring/pad work and the classes are **** then don't go back there. Just stick to Bujinkan and weights. But if the SHotokan place is run by a good instructor, train there.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    My only reservation about the Shotokan guys (it's a college club, so the dues will be low and the instructor probably not a dick) is that their punching and kicking is so radically different from the punches and kicks in taijutsu. I'd hate to have to go in with a few years of taijutsu training and have to unlearn all of that for the Shotokan.
    It'll only make you better, trust me. I recently just started taking Kyokushin Karate and still continue in the Bujinkan, and it is different but it will only help. There was a variety of strikes different from what we use (the hand positions are a bit more complicated, and sanchin is difficult to get used to again as you're pigeon-toed) but it's worthwhile, trust me.

Hannibal's advice is also surprisingly good: even if it is just once a week, find a friend out there and start training with him. Soke said that individual training is the best way to learn taijutsu as then you figure out what works for you :thumbsup:

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 9:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto. Your training in Kyokushin now ?

How do you find it ?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto. Your training in Kyokushin now ?

How do you find it ?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24694

This is basically the gist of it.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ara.

You are correct. Most Bujinkan dojos are political. Before I started training in Kyokushin Karate, I was doing Bujinkan. My Bujinkan instructor was a great guy.Really nice and had an easy going personality. He didn't give a **** about any of his students training in other martial arts apart from Bujinkan. In fact if they did he asked them to come into class and test it out on him. He was by far one of the best fighters I have ever met.

But its not just the Bujinkan guys who are political. Most martial arts are. Kyokushin I find is ver,very political. You get " Oh, Mas Oyama believed in this he wouldn't want us to change" then some other guys says different. Who cares ? The politics of the school do not matter just as long as they are offering decent quality training.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Like I said if your happy doing doing Bujinkan, keep on doing it even if its only once per week. Keep up lifting weights too. But Shotokan can help. You won't have to unlearn anything. Shotokan won't harm your Bujinakn training. If anything you'll learn a greater varity of kicks, do pad work and get some sparring practice. How is that a bad thing ?

But like I said check out the Shotokan place first. If they don't do any hard sparring/pad work and the classes are **** then don't go back there. Just stick to Bujinkan and weights. But if the SHotokan place is run by a good instructor, train there.
    Yeah, I spent a few hours looking for a Kyokushin dojo in Waco... no dice. So I'll drop in on the Shotokan guys when I get up there, and maybe see if I can't find a Kyokushin or Shotokan place here in Austin (all there is is Goju ryu I think) see if I can't get in some training before I leave.

The Shotokan webpage (http://www3.baylor.edu/BUKarate/) says that they sometimes cross-train with the Yoseikan guys. That ought to be fun. :)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast