Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 1:39am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Additional training

Next spring I'll be leaving Austin for Waco, TX, for law school. Sadly, this means I will also have to leave my current dojo, which I enjoy very much.

Fortunately, there is a Bujinkan dojo in Waco, taught by an instructor recommended to me by my own instructor. The only downside is that he only holds class once a week, far too little for my tastes. So while I will be continuing my Bujinkan training under a new sensei, I want to supplement my martial training with another art.

Since Waco is piss-poor as far as martial arts schools goes (given what I can find on the web), I was wondering if some knowledgable people on here could help me out. Ideally, I would like to choose an art I can begin training in here in Austin prior to moving, so that I don't have to start as a total beginner in Waco.

Baylor has several student clubs, which I would most likely be joining for monetary reasons (one of the downsides to law school is that students are prohibited from working at a part time job their first year). They are:

Yoseikan aikido
    Seven-star praying mantis kung fu
    Shotokan karate

I can start my training in either kung fu or Yoseikan here in Austin, but I do not know the quality of those schools here, though both seem to be under the same lineage. Shotokan karate is only taught through a club at UT, and as a recent graduate I can't train there.

So, if anyone knows anything about either the Austin or Waco branches of these schools, or any good, relatively cheap schools in the Waco area, let me know. And if anyone has any knowledge of either Yoseikan aikido/praying mantis kung fu in general, I'd appreciate it.

Of course, I could always train here:

http://www.tmahof.com/

:)

It appears they also have a "samurai sword" class...

http://www.tmahof.com/PSD/swordclass/swordclass.html

The pictures say it all. And they say "oh dear god make it stop."

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 1:59am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god that's shocking. That is REALLY, REALLY shocking. For the reason that just about everything that you've listed is incredibly dubious, I'd say go with the Shotokan. At least there's some form of quality control in that you'll still be learning useful things like the few kicks and punches that are actually useful. I'm not familiar with mantis kung fu, but I'd really do some serious research on it and the instructor before joining. And Aikido can be fun, but it really, really depends a whole lot on the club. Some clubs are great, a whole lot are just **** and run by fat hippies.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 2:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go here instead: http://www.austinbjj.com/index.php *

*I've never actually been there, I'm just assuming a Machado BB is better than ninjutsu.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 2:30am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of satellite BJJ schools between Austin and Dallas.

rawr

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say find a boxing gym.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Nobones
    I'd say find a boxing gym.
    None. I looked. There is supposedly one, called the "Ironhorse Gym", but its description online was lacking... something about never patching up holes where cars drove through.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Lots of satellite BJJ schools between Austin and Dallas.
    Yeah, but none actually in Waco that I could find, except for a Baylor club site that didn't list an instructor or appear to have been maintained.

This is going to be an occasion where I can't afford to drive too far from campus due to the workload and the fact that I'll be living off what my girlfriend earns.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beka
    Go here instead: http://www.austinbjj.com/index.php *

*I've never actually been there, I'm just assuming a Machado BB is better than ninjutsu.
    That'd be something I'd consider (not going instead of training in taijutsu, but just going to cross-train) if I weren't about to leave and I could continue training once I got to Waco.

If I were able to stay in Austin, I'd have no trouble finding decent places to train.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Oh god that's shocking. That is REALLY, REALLY shocking. For the reason that just about everything that you've listed is incredibly dubious, I'd say go with the Shotokan. At least there's some form of quality control in that you'll still be learning useful things like the few kicks and punches that are actually useful. I'm not familiar with mantis kung fu, but I'd really do some serious research on it and the instructor before joining. And Aikido can be fun, but it really, really depends a whole lot on the club. Some clubs are great, a whole lot are just **** and run by fat hippies.
    This isn't your "normal" aikido dojo, from what I gather. I once took aikido for a few weeks until I realized that I was throwing myself rather than getting thrown. Yoseikan aikido is supposedly an older, pre-WWII version of aikido, combined with techniques from judo and kobudo. It wasn't developed by Ueshiba, but by some other guy who only took elements from Ueshiba's aikido.

http://www3.baylor.edu/Aikido/pictur...ques/index.htm

There's some pictures from the class.

The Mantis people have a school in Austin, http://www.ctkfe.com

I checked it out and it smells a little fishy to me -- high dues, black belt club, and having to travel and pay for gradings.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/11/2005 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    None. I looked. There is supposedly one, called the "Ironhorse Gym", but its description online was lacking... something about never patching up holes where cars drove through.
    The boxing gyms that are a bit rundown are probably the best ones out there. That shows that they're getting some good hard use and that they train hard. I hate going into yuppie gyms that have brand-new bags and Ab-Jabs and the big fitness balls with mirrors all around and with cardio machines in the back. The kind with blood still on the ring floor, duct tape on the heavy bags, and salty old coaches who carry around bottles full of dipspit and look uglier than a Wookie may not look pretty, but I guarantee you'll get some good hard training.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast