Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 10:28am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

knee on belly escape

yestarday when I was rolling with my partner (in bjj class )the following happened
    he went to knee on belly position
    I retracted my elbows to my body so that I could push his knee down with the forearm by turning towards his side.
    But he grabbed my forearms with his hands and pressed them against my chest
    so his weight was being supported by his hands and knee over me
    With all this weight upon me and my hands stuck it was impossible for me to move

So have anyone doing bjj been in this situation if so what method did you employ to escape

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 10:57am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knee on the belly is a tricky situation at times. You often have to be carefull about how you move, or else you'll give your opponent alot of opportunities to submit you.

First, are you doing gi or no gi?

Personally, one of the easiest escapes is simply putting your opponents leg in your half guard. Basically you grab their ankle with your corresponding arm and shove it inside your legs. This works well if your opponent is inexperienced and doesnt have a good knee on the belly.

Another thing to take into account if your opponent is inexperienced- head positioning is important when doing knee on the belly (i.e. if I have knee on belly on you, MY head positioning is important). If I have a left knee in the belly, I have to be sure that my head doesnt cross your midline (if you imagine a square formed by your head and shoulder, thats roughly where my head should be above). If I cross that midline, my weight will be off balanced and you stand a good chance of simply rolling me to that side.

As natrual as it may seem, pushing the knee thats on your belly is not a very good option- theres a simple basic armbar counter to that.

As far as someone simply grabbing your arms and trying to pin you from that position, start moving your hips (elbow escaping/shrimping). Its difficult to control knee in the belly from the top position if you're unable to use your hands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 11:04am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am doing no gi and thanx for the reply

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hip escape. Always hip escape. Laying flat on your back and having someone ride you with knee on belly is punishing.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, I have the worst time trying to get out of knee on belly. Whenever I do manage to hip escape, the guy just spins around or some **** and gets back on top. :(

PL

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    God, I have the worst time trying to get out of knee on belly. Whenever I do manage to hip escape, the guy just spins around or some **** and gets back on top. :(

PL
    That's the point. :tongue5:

If you're rolling with whitebelts it is doubtful they're going to have a truly crushing knee on stomach (I however make people tap from there :thefinger ). Given that, your main options are hip escaping and pulling them to half guard as mentioned. If it isn't a really crushing knee on stomach, one thing I like to do is let them rest there and put them back to guard on the other side and then shove the leg like gumby mentioned (great comment about the head btw).

If they know how to use the position you're already fucked.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far only the blue belts have used knee on belly. And I'm fucked when rolling against a blue belt anyway. :(

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's rather mean

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    As far as someone simply grabbing your arms and trying to pin you from that position, start moving your hips (elbow escaping/shrimping). Its difficult to control knee in the belly from the top position if you're unable to use your hands.
    Rereading the initial post this is probably the best comment.
    Seems like you ought to be able to unbalance him pretty easily if he's locked down over your chest.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hip escape, get to all fours ASAP.

Or,

Make space between his foot and you ribs. Reach in that hole and up. Grab his belt or the skirt of his gi. Reach up with you foot and place it in the elbow pit of the arm controlling your legs (he is holding your legs right?!?! If not, hip escape should be so fucking easy) Now simply kick out and pull down. He will fall on his butt and you come up on top.

Or,

If he is holding your arms waiting for an armbar you can fake it. Sorta give it to him, but pull that sucker back ASAP. Use it like bait. He goes for it, you snatch that arm real quick and come up as he tries to sit back.

Or,

Toughen up. Just sit there and laugh at his pathetic knee on belly as your abdominal muscles and ribs are impervious to pain. When he becomes demoralized and goes back to side control or mount you can start breathing again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast