Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. Pwned.

Assumptions and posturing! Dude, you ARE tough!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 2:52pm

Style: Kendo-Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    LOL. Pwned.

Assumptions and posturing! Dude, you ARE tough!

Why, thank you. fool. Dooh, there I go again, arguing with one.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 2:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And then the insults!

Please sir, no more. I can't take it! Your verbal lashings are causing me much discomfort and angst.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 3:24pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirioroshi
    Some martial artists do not train with the intent of looking for fights.
    Yes, some people look at me strange when I walk into a bar with a sword, but then they also stay the hell away from me unless they are a master of Ching Ching Pow and happen to be carrying a gun.
    Or they are a cop, and happen to know "Laws against illegal knives fu".

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, he was clearly kidding, but if I may be ridiculously serious for a moment. . . are you SURE his sword would be illegal in California?

They don't have a length limit on fixed-blade knives as long as they are carried openly (so he couldn't legally do a Duncan Macleod) which is usually taken to mean that at least an inch of the knife is showing. Jim March had at least one custom sheath made (for his "Outsider") in such a fashion that it would show an inch of the pommel at the bottom of his favorite jacket for just that reason.

So unless California specifically bans the carrying of the type of sword Kiririochirioichichi would carry to the bar, it might be perfectly legal.

Or it might not. But you CAN clearly carry a bowie with a 12" blade in California if you want, as long as you don't completely conceal it.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it's possible to openly carry any legally ownable weapon that isn't concealed, you might get pegged for disturbing the peace.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are laws against weapons in places that serve alcohol. Or at least there have been in the states I have lived in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 4:34pm

Style: Kendo-Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In some states, there are also laws against "Brandishing weapons" which can cover a large area that is left open by concealment laws. While you can clearly carry a gun un concealed, you can still get arrested if ya got too much swagger. More than likely, the DA will kick it, but then ya gots to get yer gun back from da sherrif, and he dont always play nice.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 5:38pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Okay, he was clearly kidding, but if I may be ridiculously serious for a moment. . . are you SURE his sword would be illegal in California?

They don't have a length limit on fixed-blade knives as long as they are carried openly (so he couldn't legally do a Duncan Macleod) which is usually taken to mean that at least an inch of the knife is showing. Jim March had at least one custom sheath made (for his "Outsider") in such a fashion that it would show an inch of the pommel at the bottom of his favorite jacket for just that reason.

So unless California specifically bans the carrying of the type of sword Kiririochirioichichi would carry to the bar, it might be perfectly legal.

Or it might not. But you CAN clearly carry a bowie with a 12" blade in California if you want, as long as you don't completely conceal it.
    That's crazy. I mean, we're weapon crazy here in Texas and I've had to explain to cops what I was doing going to the dojo with my swords in the back seat of my SUV. I talked to one of them and he told me that larger fixed blades like swords, even unconcealed, were considered illegal knives and we couldn't carry them except to and from training or display. This goes for anything with a fixed blade over 5 inches (blade length, not total length), concealed or unconcealed.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 5:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you have to understand is that kiroichiishi lives in the 1880's, in a lawless town full of bars and vengefull sheriffs. In this environment it is perfectly acceptable to carry weapons around town in full sight. Unfortunately the saying, Don't bring a knife to a gunfight hasn't reached him yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast