233304 Bullies, 3600 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Well, Fitzsimons is one of those names important in what we may call "the development of modern boxing". Very important in the development ot fotwork and angle attack lines, if Im correct.

He also has one kill.

Record.

EDIT: Just for the record, note that I dont think Dempsey needed to cheat or cheated himself. Its just that some "cheating" was a common thing those days, and there is a chance of Dempsey doing so. Still, due to his power, skill and braveness, I really doubt he felt he needed to cheat.

Still there is a little controversy in his fight with Firpo. Dempsey got knocked out out of the ring in round 1, and despite the rulse forbidding so, he got help to get into the ring, and was down (out of the ring) more than the preceptive ten count.
    And fighting Jack Johnson with only one arm takes huge ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:34am

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Omar!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:50pm

Style: _詠_春

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The article is good, the advice in increasing bodyweight in strike is good, the physics is bullshit. Take it out. I gave you a formula if you want to deal in that stuff (and I can provide the derivation on request). If you don't like how difficult it really is don't go there. It's not a simplification, it's just plain wrong.

BTW Poops:
    The force is the rate-of-change of momentum, not the momentum as you know. Saying you increase the momentum to do damage still isn't right. If I get shot by a bullet in a bullet proof vest and the bullet lodges in the vest, all of the momentum is transferred into *me*. But I don't get hurt at all.

If the kinetic energy was transferred to me I would then be wounded.

EDIT:

This looks like a guide to rodent sexual assult.
    Last edited by Physics_Nazi; 6/13/2005 12:20am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/12/2005 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto, you are still using the term "force" incorrectly.

PL

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of physics, Omar summed it up best:
    More weight = Good
    More speed = Good
    More strength = Good.

Anything more is overkill and can be debated till your ass falls off.

Here is a little something I posted a while back:

Compete Against The Computer.(computerized boxing bag)(Brief Article)
    Current Science, Sept 22, 2000, by Rene S. Ebersole
    U.S. flyweight boxer Jose Navarro, 18, packs a powerful punch in his 112-pound body. And he knows just how powerful because, while training for the Sydney Olympics, he hit a computerized boxing bag that measures the force, or push, of his punch.
    On the outside, the bag looks like any ordinary punching bag. But encased in the bag are two accelerometers--instruments that measure acceleration. Acceleration is the change in a moving object's velocity (speed).
    The whole principle of the bag owes a debt to Isaac Newton, the English physicist and mathematician. One of Newton's claims to fame is his Second Law of Motion. This law holds that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. Multiplying the bag's mass, or weight, by the acceleration of the punched bag yields the force of a boxer's punch.
    Wires from the heavy bag and a video camera plug into a computer, allowing coaches to watch real-time videos of boxers punching the bag side by side with a graph that shows the force of their punches. One important piece of information coaches can read from the screen is the impulse of each punch. That's arrived at by multiplying the force of the punch by the length of time it's in contact with the bag. The most powerful blows have a high impulse rating.
    At 165 pounds, Jeff Lacey is the hardest hitter on the U.S. boxing team. Lacey's opponents get hit with the force of a 1,067-pound impulse! That's like running into a brick wall!

U.S. boxing coach Tom Mustin can't help but be surprised every time his team goes up against the bag. Before this technology came along, he said, coaches could only guess at an athlete's power. "Now, the computer heavy bag lets you make [positioning] adjustments to increase power."
    Jose Navarro agrees. "The coaches go over what you're doing wrong, and that helps a lot," he said. "If I correct my mistakes, I'll be more effective."
    COPYRIGHT 2000 Weekly Reader Corp.COPYRIGHT 2001 Gale Group

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome stuff, Ronin :thumbsup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 9:42pm

Style: _詠_春

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    In terms of physics, Omar summed it up best:
    More weight = Good
    More speed = Good
    More strength = Good.

Anything more is overkill and can be debated till your ass falls off.
    Bingo

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I was saying, but I worded it badly. Can we sticky this or something? I'm tired of people posting F = MA and "how to punch hard" all the time.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 11:35pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    As for the footwork in hitting, Ive noticed that people who hit hard (in boxing) tend to stay flat feeted, at least when theyre throwing hard punches. Ive noticed that my punches are harder when Im flat feeted too. Maybe it has soemthign to do with balance.

I dont think it is strange that some styles have the same principles for punching. After centuries of development, it seems that there are just a couple of ways to punch with the most efficency. Which is the point of Kotos article, if Im correct.
    Yeah I agree, Len Harvey an old time champion boxer said balance is the key to successful fighting. From a CMA perspective power comes from the legs, its like being rooted to the ground in order to knock someone off their balance.

Everything in the article fits with the WC training I have had and that's a real positive. Actually some years ago I read a great book on WC by Dr. Joseph Wayne Smith. In it he discusses similarities in power punching theories from the old time barenuckled boxing greats and WC that backs this article up very well.
    Last edited by Lefty; 6/13/2005 11:48pm at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 7:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Link failed

Link To the article doesn't work !

Cheers
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast