225315 Bullies, 4385 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I've been aware of the "explosive grip" thing for a long time, but my personal opinion is that it's a dangerous practice. Everyone knows that we fight how we train, and the problem I always saw with that technique was that imperfect timing=broken hand. That coupled with my opinion that any increase in power would be negligible at best, makes that a habit I would not want. Do you believe that there is any real significant increase in power with that technique?
    Personally I occasionally notice a small difference, but it's pretty hard to say exactly unless I actually had one of those punching things that would say how hard I was hitting. Dempsey was a big advocate of it, and he did a good bit of streetfighting on his own, so if you master it more than likely it's bound to have some good effects. I'm still working on it myself, but it's not a priority.

The only thing in the article that I don't completely agree with is the resistance training aspect. I love strength training and have always done alot of it. I believe it has greatly improved my grappling game. I do not believe it has ever done much for my striking power, and at times I think it might have actually hurt it. In my opinion, striking power is simply speed+technique. I believe that a certain level of muscular strength is required, but once that level is reached, anything more is not beneficial (with the possible exception of core strength). In fact, I believe that in many cases, too much muscular size (a direct effect of increasing strength) might actually reduce striking power by slowing down the strike.
    The way how I see it is the stronger your muscles are, the more efficient your fibers will be, which include fast-twitch muscles. If they're more efficient, they're going to go faster. Some of the most savage punchers of the day did resistance training. I respect your point of view though, no harm no foul :thumbsup:

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 9:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Maybe if you train isometricaly your hooks (as example) in the position your arm would be in the moment of the impact, it would have a benefit.
    That's basically what you want to do with them. I first got interested in them a few years ago when I bought How to Be an Ass-Whipping Boxer by Champ Thomas. He credited a lot of his power to isometric exercises, so I started doing them and noticed a good increase in my punching power. Some Chinese martial arts do these kind of exercises as well, and Bruce Lee loved them, and he was quite the powerful striker.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    The only thing in the article that I don't completely agree with is the resistance training aspect. I love strength training and have always done alot of it. I believe it has greatly improved my grappling game. I do not believe it has ever done much for my striking power, and at times I think it might have actually hurt it. In my opinion, striking power is simply speed+technique. I believe that a certain level of muscular strength is required, but once that level is reached, anything more is not beneficial (with the possible exception of core strength). In fact, I believe that in many cases, too much muscular size (a direct effect of increasing strength) might actually reduce striking power by slowing down the strike.
    Months ago I gained about 4-6 lbs of muscle (estimated) in a single month due to strenght training. It added power to my punches (and kicks), but I gassed out quicker and my speed suffered a little bit.

Now Im carefully trying to bulk slower and focus in adapting my "new" muscle to my technique.

I think it depends on how can you translate your gained muscle to your technique.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 9:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    I think it depends on how can you translate your gained muscle to your technique.
    That's a good way of putting it.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    That's a good way of putting it.
    Really? Then Ill elaborate a little bit more. This is my guess.

Work on the heavy bag to get the correct technique now that you are (probably) heavier.

Paos and focus mits will help you regain your speed and timming.

Spar to make all things work together.

And before you ask, no, I cant be more obvious. :happy3:

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article. Thanks for posting it. While I am familiar with much of the technique, I found the history and anecdotes very interesting.
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 10:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu
    Great article. Thanks for posting it. While I am familiar with much of the technique, I found the history and anecdotes very interesting.
    The whip one that Carpentier used was a new one to me, but I like that analogy a lot. It makes a helluva lot of sense.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input, comments, and rep guys. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 8:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "whip" is one of the most common form of power generation found in norhtern CMA.
    The falling step + the "grab" is the main "secret" to Baji style hitting. I was a little bit surprised to see the "grab" spelled out in a boxing context. There's not hardly any details I can think of that you missed and the one's I can think of are maybe a bit esoteric to be be easily taken seriously. It's a common thing in CMA to be taught to "grab the ground with your toes" as you hit. You also didn't go into any of the breathing techniques to boost power.

Pretty comprehensive though.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I was also thinking....there's different schools of thought on the foot work. Experts do not agree. Some say lift the heel for greater reach and follow through. Some say plant it for better "drive". I've watched old tapes and noticed the pros use both. IMO the "heavy hitters" tend to plant but this is not an absolute rule. There's other variations but I think they almost deserve their own article.

The other thing that got me thinking was that the "whip" kind of interferes with some of the other stuff. I used to have really elastic whippy punches and since getting into Baji I've had to kind of train my self out of that habit. I think it's a good learning metaphore but once you've kind of engained it then you need to "internalise" that aspect and make the movements smaller and more controlled. Like you kind of have that feeling going through your body but if you go overboard with it you end up with a lot of wasted motion and you tend to sacrifice some structural integrety at impact. I think over time you (I) need less whip and more grab + falling step.

"reciprocal power" for lack of a better term was left out. Putting more energy into pulling the other hand back or in some cases, like with Baji, even putting some energy in to "striking" backwards with your back, rear leg, shoulders etc as your "primary" attack goes out forward. . . . .but that's getting really out there and hard to explain.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast