Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2005 11:40pm

Style: ppc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crap

What a load of Crap. If you read the resume of this guy you would think he is James bond. Chris Bisset did a couple of unpaid seminars for the RCMP. Everything else is a bunch of bull when it comes to it. As far as his instructors being ex RCMP, I find that suspect. When it said that the guy in Winnipeg was a training instructor for the Law enforcement Academy!!! To my knowledge it's a private school and has nothing to do with the police. Also Canadian Citizens don't do security at embasys in Ottawa no two ways about it.

Chris has served overseas as a Driver/Bodyguard with the Saudi-Arabian and Japanese Embassies in Ottawa". This statement does not even make sense .
    Why does it not say where he got his BB or through what association.

I'm not saying the guy does not know his stuff with Jui jitsu . Let's just be real.

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jishin Ryu Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chris Bissett

OldGuy:

Chris Bissett was not a civilian during his time in Ottawa, as far as I am aware. He was a captain with the Canadian Airforce, and currently owns the Bissett Protection Group.

Manuel Ruiz is the chief self defense instructor for the Law Enforcement and Security Training Academey of Canada. He's also been the primary self defense instructor for many of the Band(reserves) Police Agencies in Manitoba.

Ole Frederikson is another black belt at the Winnipeg club. Ole is currently in the Canadian Airforce, where he instructs Survival, Evasion, and Resistance to Interrogation.

We also have more then a few members of the Winnipeg Police Service in our club, as well as many from the different factions of the military.

If you have any doubts about the authenticity of our members, feel free to pay us a visit.

Bird:
    I've been going to the Winnipeg club since 1999. It's an excellent club, with many knowledgable instructors and students. The all the popularity of MMA, there's a bit more grappling instruction going on then there used to be, but it's still a self defense school first and foremost.

If you go down, you can take advantage of a free first class. If you have trouble paying the monthly fee, you can feel free to talk to Sensei Manuel, who's more then reasonable. When I was still in High School, I paid for my classes by sweeping the mats and doing odd jobs for him.

It's a little hard to find the club at the moment. It's currently out of a renovated old Church on Maryland Avenue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 2:23pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bird, Seen some of the Bissett stuff, different people have different takes on it, some are just, as above, personality things with Chris Bissett. There was a BJJ black belt teaching there not too long ago, don't know if that is still the case though. Anything in particular you are looking for? There's a lot of good stuff in Winnipeg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 4:19pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Green
    Bird, Seen some of the Bissett stuff, different people have different takes on it, some are just, as above, personality things with Chris Bissett. There was a BJJ black belt teaching there not too long ago, don't know if that is still the case though. Anything in particular you are looking for? There's a lot of good stuff in Winnipeg.
    I took kyokushin last year which was great, killer workouts, but didn't have time once school started up and the baby arrived :) . I was planning on going back to kyokushin, but are there any schools for MMA, or other disciplines, you'd recommend looking at? Thanks for the replies guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 4:23pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAY
    OldGuy:

Bird:
    I've been going to the Winnipeg club since 1999. It's an excellent club, with many knowledgable instructors and students. The all the popularity of MMA, there's a bit more grappling instruction going on then there used to be, but it's still a self defense school first and foremost.

If you go down, you can take advantage of a free first class. If you have trouble paying the monthly fee, you can feel free to talk to Sensei Manuel, who's more then reasonable. When I was still in High School, I paid for my classes by sweeping the mats and doing odd jobs for him.

It's a little hard to find the club at the moment. It's currently out of a renovated old Church on Maryland Avenue.
    Thanks for the info. That school is a little bit of a pain to get to from here, damn buses. But if I get a chance I'll check it out.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jishin Ryu Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA

<quote>I took kyokushin last year which was great, killer workouts, but didn't have time once school started up and the baby arrived :) . I was planning on going back to kyokushin, but are there any schools for MMA, or other disciplines, you'd recommend looking at? Thanks for the replies guys.</quote>

I checked out Munduruca Martial Arts today at the request of a buddy of mine. It seems to be a pretty good school. I attended a traditional Brazillian Jiu Jitsu class, which proved to be an excellent workout. The instructors there all really seemed to know what they are doing, and I know Rodrigo Munduruca has a very solid reputation.

I'm going to go back for a few more classes, and check out their No Gi and MMA classes and see what I think.

It's a lot different from the Bissett School.

A good break down of the Bissett School is about:

80% Close Quarters stand up grappling, focusing on clinches, teardowns, kickbacks, hipthrows, wristlocks, etc.

10% Stand up striking, which is mostly elbow strikes and knee's. There's usually kicking drills at the start of each class, but they don't feature predominately in the actual techniques you learn.

10% Ground grappling, You don't learn even a fraction of the moves you'd learn in a BJJ school, but there's more dirty tricks. For example, downward elbows to the head or other sensitive areas are fine. So are trachea chokes, eye gouges, open handed chokes, and pressure points. (Obviously, we don't hardcore gauge someone's eyes in class, but we learn how, and practice with slow, gradual pressure.)

The Munduruca Class I went down to today was 100% grappling, but there was a lot to it. Even this first class I learned a few moves I didn't know, and their teaching style is excellent. It's also different from the Groundwork in Bissett, because there is so much more variety. Where in Bissett, you'll learn only the most basic sweeps/reversals; in Munduruca you learn many, many different ways to counter from the different positions.

I also like the way they instruct, because they show you a few moves, let you practice for a few moments, and then you actually roll with a couple of people and try to work in what you've just practiced. It really helps things stick with your memory.

They do, however, frown upon the more damaging techniques. After failing to get a rear naked choke on someone, I instead slipped on a rear, forearm trachea choke and the instructor was not impressed.
    ------------------------

I won't say which school I think is better, because a) I've only been to ONE of Munduruca's classes, and b) they are both very different in theory and in practice, and a fair comparison isn't possible. They are both very good at the way they choose to teach.

If you're more interested in MMA, I'd probably suggest you check out Munduruca Martial Arts. You'll get a lot more out of it, and since a lot of MMA fighters actually train there, you'll get some more expert advice.

Bissett, which is Jishin Ryu Jiu Jitsu, is more self defense, streetfight oriented.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bissett has two majors from the RMC. In history andmusic I believe, as well as being a Canadian forces pilot. If you wanna start searching, here's where you should start.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 8:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Bissett Jiu-Jitsu in the early to mid 90's in Portage La Prairie, MB. I believe that was the original location and was not for profit. So if the training seemed too tough, you stepped up. Not everyone received their belt after a test. Just because you paid for the grading, it was up to you to train and think! Which is the reason people left...and others joined. No McDojo here. It was very solid and honest training with a variety of people from all walks of life like most clubs. But we did have a large number of RCMP and military personnel participate so it did stratify into different levels of intensity within the club, which was fine. Bissett expanded with commercial clubs in western Canada. But as with 'making people happy or I won't rejoin' clubs, the intensity may have been tempered some. Or maybe not as I do not see any Bissett clubs west of Portage except Kelowna. The original Portage club was referred to as 'Dinosaur Jiu-Jitsu', even by it's commercial clubs at M.A. seminars because members carried that energy level to those events. Portage conditioning then, was plain superior. Bissett introduced Taijitsu and personal security elements to those more involved and seemed to impress all including other professionals, military or civillian. A good number of Bissett instructors have other M.A. backgrounds. As for the 'James Bond' remark from OldGuy, well, Bissett was never into adding things to his name at the time I knew him. People and organizations offered, probably for their own gain, but he didn't take. I attended a good number of national seminars with Bissett, not just one or two freebies, and he did impress. I believe he was asked to tone down some demos by the sponsor eastern Jiu-Jitsu den...best not steal someone's thunder being better (read - more effective). Of course OldGuy, you are entitled to your own opinion. Hopefully the remaining clubs offer the things I remember and if you choose Bissett, train and think! Enjoy.

Freakdaddy D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 7:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu JItsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a former student of Chris Bissett.
    My instructors were Many Ruiz, Eric Marciniack and in the begining Steve Prince. I assure you none of these gentlemen paid for their belts, they earn them the old fashion way.
    Your comments regarding Chris Bissett are desrespectful, arrogant, ignorant and if you were anywhere near me, I would show you how affective Bissett Jiu Jitsu is. You my friend are an idiot.

Let me ask you this. What do you know about the man to question is back ground? Have you ever met him? Have you ever attended a class?
    Not that Chris Bissett needs me to defend him, but if you want to know were he got his 7th degree, it was awarded by the late Moses Powell, do you even know who master Powel was?

Chris BIssett couldn't care less how many stripes he had on his belt, but if anyone holds a black belt in Bissett Jiu Jitsu, I assure you, that person worked for it and it took you several years to earn it.

I attended many seminars conducted by Chris Bissett, and if you seen the man in action you would soon realize that unlike most so called Masters, Chris Bissett can walk the walk and talk the talk. The man is well known in the martial arts community, by well known and well respected instructors in Canada and the U.S.
    George Kirby ( you being such an idiot, probably have no idea who he is) trained Chris Bissett back in the day, and he speaks very highly of him. The late Moses Powel, flew to Canada to test Chris Bissett for his 7th degree.

I also witness many seminars conducted by Chris Bissett for the WPG Police and the ARmed Forces, I highly dought that they would hire him he if was a fraud.

So now that you heard from a former student of Chris Bissett, don't you feel like a complete ass?

I leave you with a quote by Chris bissett when he tested me for my brown belt.

" When you think you know everything about Jiu Jtsu, let me know, I can arrange for you to meet with someone who will show you that you know very little"

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 8:17am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very old thread that was let die. Now lets open a can of whoop ass on it.

Thank you for reminding us of this, we will now research your instructor and find out everything he has done wrong in the world. Every single person that has gone banckrupt in Calgary because of buying a Bissett franchise will come out of the woodwork and start talking about their bad experiences.

So, what have you accomplished by resurecting this thread? You have brought the rath of the Bullshido deamons down upon you. I shall be the first to throw a few stones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinto
    but if you want to know were he got his 7th degree, it was awarded by the late Moses Powell, do you even know who master Powel was?
    So Chris Bissett should have a black belt in Sanuces-Ryu? That being Powel's self created style. There are many questions about Powel on the net as well, to begin with that:
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-4280.html
    And this:
    Sanuces Ryu Creed (Which Must Be Memorized By Every Student)

ďA man or woman of the Martial Arts, is one who thinks at all times, They possess speed, form, power, techniques and gracefulness. They move like the roar of thunder, and strike like the speed of lighting. Thatís what a man or woman of the Martial Arts is, Sir!Ē
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanuces_Ryu

You know what, I think I may even have a business card that Chris Bissett used to hand out. On the back it listed the government institutions and departments that he claimed to have taught. Now that you tinto have reminded me of its existence I think I will now look around for that card.

So tinto, do you feel better now? Congrats on the thread resurection, it is usually considered bad form.
    Last edited by Askari; 11/05/2006 8:20am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast