Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 7:40pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chris Bissett Jiu-Jitsu

If anyone can give me some info on Chris Bissett and his style of Jiu-Jitsu, there's a school in town that teaches that style, I'd appreciate it.

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 8:11pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://combatjiujitsunorth.tripod.com/frontpage.html
    http://www.combatjiujitsu.com/

looks like a traditional jiu jitsu thats gone new age and added the m.m.a. curriclum. overall its doesnt seem to bullshido, and doesnt seem bad. check it out and tell us how the first class is.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going try and get there this weekend and try it out, if this damn cold clears up. I don't know much about Jiu-Jitsu, so I've been all over the internet on this one. I've only got a bit of Aikido training to go on.

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 8:30pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just go with an open mind, then come back and give us a write up on exactly what you did.
    like if you spared, how was the warm up, what moves did you practice etc....
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anybody else notice that the combatjiujitsu site has a picture of two guys doing the WC Chi Sau exercise in the top right corner ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 7:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Did anybody else notice that the combatjiujitsu site has a picture of two guys doing the WC Chi Sau exercise in the top right corner ?
    What does that mean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2005 7:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...... nevermind.... I figured it out.....But as far as I know the guy on the left in the pic was a guest the school brought in, but I'm not 100%. I'll definitlely ask about it when I check out a class.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bird, what town do you live in? I train in a Bissett school and have been for four years, although we've changed the name.

Each school goes its own way to a good degree, Chris Bissett doesn't teach at any of them anymore. Most of the instructors are military guys or ex-RCMP. All the schools are very well rounded with a lot of cross training.

The info that they have posted of Bissett is the real deal, actually, those pages barely scrape the surface. You wouldn't believe half the stories I've heard about Chris Bissett. here's another link about his resume. http://www.escape.ca/~rwilliam/headof.html
    I'm sure a lot of this stuff could be verified if one was ambitious enough to track it down. Last I heard he was living in Honduras though. Most of the instructors have BB's in other systems, such as TKD, Arnis, JKD. At my school there is a lot of cross training. If self-defence is your thing, this is the most straight forward way to do it, IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2005 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Winnipeg, I talked to the instructor but I didn't get up there yet. But I did find a couple places that are much closer. One is Kyoshukin, and the other is BJJ taught by Rodrigo Munduruca, they seem to compete a lot and have had one fighter get to the UFC. I still have to give the BJJ class a try. I think it'll be a tough choice between the two.
    Last edited by Bird; 6/17/2005 6:50pm at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/19/2005 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the instructor in Winnipeg is called Manny (Manuel)? He's got a lot of experience, bouncing and training law enforcement and that kind of thing. My head instructor was his training partner, we hear a lot of stories about them back in Winnipeg. He's got a BB in Arnis, and I think TKD, as well as JJ. The bissett club will give you the most rounded training, but of course that's my very biased opinion :D
Page 1 of 27 1 234511 ... LastLast