Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look douche bags a middle age karateka with some chub isn't a bad thing but when you are 20~40 carrying around a spare tire and claiming to be a MASTER then that is obviously bad. Its that simple. Oyama as he got older starting carrying more and more weight but that was due to aging not siting on his ass and he would STILL sparr younger students. What we tend to make fun of is the 30 yr old guy looking like FAT BASTARD who claims to whip ass but doesn't sparr and would probably die if forced to walk a flight of stair. That, and Phil, are our main targets.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 1:37pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA
    Does having a six pack REALLY make you a better fighter?

I have heard so many people dis on martial artists because they were a little chubby and didnt have perfect bodies. People said they suck and are a joke and in no way could be good at fighting.

I am sure having nice abs helps you in fighting but is it really necessary?

And keep in mind I am not defending super fat 500 lb obese guys at all. I am just saying guys who are reletively in good shape but dont have a six pack at all and have a gut somewhat. What do you think?

To answer your orginal question of "Does having a six pack REALLY make you a better fighter?".

OF COURSE NOT. DUH!
    **BITCH SLAPS YOU**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 2:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're referring to visible abs, then no, that's just a measure of body fat. But it definitely helps to have a nice thick layer of strong muscle tissue between someone's attack and your vital organs. More muscle is pretty much more padding, far as I know. But that's just my take on it.

- SkinnyNinja.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only 6 pack I need to be a fighter comes with a plactic ring to choke seaturtles.

:evil6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 2:20pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosai
    And he is definetly in shape or I would assume considering he's managed to get onto the police force recently.
    Hahahhahaha... Sorry, i couldn't help laughing. Have you SEEN the physical requirements to make it into the police force?

All i have to say is google it and laugh. It's quite pathetic. It varies from police dept to police dept but i think the standard req's are something like 18 pushups in a minute, 15 minute mile and a half, and some other ridiculously easy req's.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly not neccessary. But desirable? Yes. Why? A well conditioned and healthy body produces superior results on average.

I do not have a 6 pack. I have low body fat that makes my abs show a little bit. But compare it to bodybuilders, whose abdominals are bloated beyond belief and you see we are built for two totally different purposes. One if for show, one is for go.

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 3:50pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    If you're working your ass off in the gym, odds are you're not gonna be a fat guy. Maybe a bit chubby at worst, but you'll be i shape. You should not look like Phil Elmore.

i agree while you might not be a flex wheeler, you most likely be in pretty good shape.

ive seen people come in the gym a lil chubby and over time lose a little wieght.
    Last edited by Bizzaro Root; 6/09/2005 3:53pm at .
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you need a six-pack to be a good fighter. That's why I'm such an amazingly fantastic fighter, because I have a six-pack. [flexes] hell yeah, look at that, you could grate cheese on that!
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 4:10pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someday people are going to realize that performance does not equal health (e.g. body composition). All of our lineman that I coach have pretty big belly's but they can run all day long not to mention beng able to clean and squat a house.

Fitness and performance = the ability to perform tasks, wellness = health and disease prevention. They are not the same thing.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as they're strong underneath, that's all that matters. If you're looking like Buddha, you should get your ass running but other than that if they're strong and relatively fat-free, that's all you need.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast