Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see a copy of that magazine, but putting Phat Phil on the cover kills all their credibility...

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 7:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Oh I think Phil Elmore knows that mental preparation is important for self-defense. I just question whether he is actually preparing. Much of Elmore's stuff portrays him as having a rather bizzarre attitude toward fighting in general and I can't say that I think he would handle a real confrontation or attack "well".

He can't even handle confrontation on his forum! If you bother to ask him any question he does not like he just deletes the post, emails his loyal following who call him by his alter ego "Sharp Phil" and they hang aroung the thread and giggle like 13 year old girls or grown men with considerable social limitations.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *giggles*

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not taking away anything from you on that. Good idea if you ask me. But I think saying Phil is one who 'just wants to be prepared' is a bit of an understatement.
    This and the observation about these peoples' gear fetish are very funny and totally on the mark.

You ever notice how the gear items are usually phallic in shape? I think it's more than just the fact that impact weapons tend to be phallic. I think it's the other way around. And then they have these long "everyday carry" threads of all the black leathery objects (usually phallic) that they carry in their pockets.

I do think Phil has a point, that BJJ isn't the greatest thing for the old-style battlefield.

But then again, he may be missing the point that modern armies are involved in many more "operations other than war" which require kidnap operations, restraint of unarmed people, "gentle" handling of civilians et cetera.

I suspect that probably a lot of the guys who hold MMA in contempt do so out of sour grapes, they know they're out of shape and they want something to hold onto (ie combatives) in the belief that combatives will act like a magic bullet of some kind in the absence of physical fitness or even training at all.

After all, they think, how much training does it take to throw a chinjab?

They neglect to remember the fact that army personnel tend to be in extremely good shape and tend to have the commitment and attitude of aggression that's one of the reasons MMA-style training is good for civilians.

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 9:36am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golok
    I suspect that probably a lot of the guys who hold MMA in contempt do so out of sour grapes, they know they're out of shape and they want something to hold onto (ie combatives) in the belief that combatives will act like a magic bullet of some kind in the absence of physical fitness or even training at all.

After all, they think, how much training does it take to throw a chinjab?

They neglect to remember the fact that army personnel tend to be in extremely good shape and tend to have the commitment and attitude of aggression that's one of the reasons MMA-style training is good for civilians.
    You've nailed it. It's the "too deadly" fallacy. The combative proponents bleat that there are no rules on the street; this is true, but there are always rules in training, and the rules they suggest lead to learning choreography instead of combat skills. The feedback loop is missing through compliance.

MMA's not a perfect self defence system either by any means, but it's done a pretty good job of showing what works in unarmed fighting. If you're going to bring in weapons and multiple opponents, you need to copy the same methodology and work up to forms of sparring that include these. Some of these do already exist; there's Karl Tanswell's live-trained STAB program and some of the Dog Brothers' stuff for weapons (I'm sure there are others I could name here), and I know of at least one art which has two-on-one kickboxing sparring in which the aim is simple survival. It's just a shame that so much of the "self-defence" community is still living in the sort of blissful ignorance that many empty hand only arts were in before the advent of Vale Tudo style testing.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a damn good summary Sophist.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:30pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Ryan stated - quite explicitly - that he used a RNC to break an enemy neck whilst in the Gulf. Now whilst the geography of his journey was challenged, this fact was notNothing like a little real-world endorsement of grappling - and as the SAS are THE elite unit it makes Phil look like a bit of an (lard)ass

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    Chris Ryan stated - quite explicitly - that he used a RNC to break an enemy neck whilst in the Gulf. Now whilst the geography of his journey was challenged, this fact was notNothing like a little real-world endorsement of grappling - and as the SAS are THE elite unit it makes Phil look like a bit of an (lard)ass

He broke a neck with a choke?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:42pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    He broke a neck with a choke?
    Apparently - locked it in, applied body scissors and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d down with his legs and up with his chest/arms. POP!
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021