Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 3:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What qualifies people to make their own style?

I would say a blackbelt/certificate etc in a certain style would be sufficient plus applying the simpler techniques one has used from a certain style in real life. Even verifiable streetfighting experience would be good (as in Marc Macyoung.

To be fair to people like Jerry Peterson and Phil Elmore, Jerry Peterson uses techniques from lowlevel kung fu which is SOMETHING. Phil Elmore has some experience in Wing Chun, but I feel Phil has not yet reached a level of proficiency in Wing Chun to go making his own style (although he PWNS Kungfoolss, which is of course commendable :icon_tong )

I personally would like to publish a manual on wrestling and self defence for people with mobility impairments similar to mine (because the lack of training opportunities around here is driving me bugshit) but I'm the first to say that I'm not experienced enough.

Debate, please.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 5:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There really is no need to 'make' or create another style of martial arts.

Everything that can be done in martial arts HAS been done, be it striking or grappling,groundfighting,standup. Its all been thought of. **** its no secret. At the end of the day we've all got 2 arms and 2 legs.

There are only so many different ways to punch and kick someone.
    There are only so many different ways to pick up and throw someone.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal versus Angry_Spastic

Discuss.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 5:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal

Everything that can be done in martial arts HAS been done, be it striking or grappling,groundfighting,standup. Its all been thought of. **** its no secret. At the end of the day we've all got 2 arms and 2 legs.

Very true.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 5:55am

Style: Bujinkan Budô Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal

true, yet people still do that. makes you wonder why...

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 5:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mcfu don't be a ****. I was just commenting on what AS said, thats all.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 6:20am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal does have a point. Any new innovations in martial arts are going to be philosophical revisions rather than fighting revolutions. There was a thread on the Dog Brothers steering towards FMA entry into MMA competition. That would be interesting, but at the end of the day the biggest differences you'll probably find are in the way people think about fights or train for competition rather than something weird like finding a new use for your thighs or something.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 6:31am

Style: MMA/SDF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the answer is somewhere in the middle here...

YES.... there is a lot of information and knowledge out there so you should question whether there is a need for new systems at all.

BUT..... as variables change so should the concepts and techniques... they very often dont in existing training programmes and as a result some people see the need to create their own schools for the purposes of development and discovery.

If the old schools are unable to drop what is obsolete or accept the requirements of a new society then there is a need to break-free from that mentality. ALL well run organisations with an interest in developing human skills seek new information and new perspectives.

In reference to Hannibals point.. it takes a LOT of traning to get from the point where you believe that a kick is just a kick.. through the stage of realising that is isn't... BACK to the point where it just becomes a kick again.

In reference to AS's point about a black belt being enough.... NOPE... I have a couple of Dan grades in TMA's and they are to me the equivalent of knowing the alphabet in a writing class. They allow me to understand the basis and building blocks of the art and provide the platform for real learning to begin.

That's my long way of saying... it depends... it depends on the motivation, skill level and the individual. If they have talent and something to say then let them go and either take on-board their findings in their new system or consign them to the bin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 7:01am

Style: Bujinkan Budô Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    as variables change so should the concepts and techniques... they very often dont in existing training programmes and as a result some people see the need to create their own schools for the purposes of development and discovery.
    ...and then there are the assholes who do it for money...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 7:22am

Style: MMA/SDF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep... absolutely. That's why I mentioned motivation in my last paragraph.

In the US particularly it seems to be the assholes looking for financial gain or ego masturbation which are in the majority when it comes to launching their own schools or systems. To a large extent it all turned to **** when people realised there was money to be made in MA's.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast