Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 12:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do not give history lessons.
    Ah! That explains why Robson doesn't know who gave him his BB!

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 12:25pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really your sounding jealous, to me it sound like marcos gave him his bb and he was born and rasied in brazil. just because he doesnt have a red stripe and sound off about who he got his bb from ever other line on his site doesnt make him a fraud.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ.org is incomplete. I study under a fellow named Brad Gumm ( http://www.gummbjj.com/ ) who is a brown belt under Machado BB David Ruiz ( http://coloradobjj.com/bjj.html ). David is listed on Bjj.org but Brad is not.

Now this may or may not have anything to do with this Robson guy but it is something to be aware of.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, lots of people have already acknowledged it.

to me it sound like marcos gave him his bb and he was born and rasied in brazil.
    How come no one seems to know who he or his instructor are then?

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    really your sounding jealous, to me it sound like marcos gave him his bb and he was born and rasied in brazil. just because he doesnt have a red stripe and sound off about who he got his bb from ever other line on his site doesnt make him a fraud.
    I'm satisfied now that the red sleeve business is a non-issue and should not be pressed any further. But why does he specifically state that he studied under Sakata and Aurelio and not just come out and say that he got his black belt from one or the other? You see what I'm getting at? "I have a BB and I studied under so-and-so." Yes, he might have a BB and and he might have studied under so-and-so--but so-and-so might not have given him the BB!

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 1:50pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one has said BJJ.org was a complete list, just that it was a nice quick reference. And the face this guy will not tell where he got his black belt from is fishy to say the least. The BJJ community is too small to not have someone nobody knows grading people to black belt. In Allegory's example maybe people don't know who his teacher is, or even who David Ruiz is, but they damn sure know who the Machados are and that's a reference point to start from. There is nothing wrong in questioning someone about who gave them their black belt.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/08/2005 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Yrkoon9 again.

Posted On:
    6/09/2005 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegory
    BJJ.org is incomplete. I study under a fellow named Brad Gumm ( http://www.gummbjj.com/ ) who is a brown belt under Machado BB David Ruiz ( http://coloradobjj.com/bjj.html ). David is listed on Bjj.org but Brad is not.

Now this may or may not have anything to do with this Robson guy but it is something to be aware of.
    Email the links for Gumm and Ruiz to the webmaster at bjj.org, letting him know that you'd like to see your instructor listed and that the webmaster is welcome to contact Ruiz to verify Gumm's rank.

Anderson Leal, a BB under Murilo Bustamante, wasn't listed either until I sent his link to the webmaster.

The bjj.org webmaster does not have a crystal ball that magically lights up and lets him know whenever there is a promotion and who has been promoted to what; people have to send this information in.

By the way, I saw this quote on Ruiz's site: "David Ruiz is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt under Professor Rigan Machado." Pretty clear, isn't it? Now let's say that Joe Blow gets a BB from a McDojo or a Crackerjack box, takes a few months of training under Rigan, and then answers a want ad for a BJJ instructor. At the interview, he states that he has trained under Rigan Machado and that he has a BB. Although both statements are perfectly true, he is misleadingly suggesting that he got his BB from Rigan.

If it turns out that Robson is legit, I'll be more than happy to get the info to bjj.org.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast