Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 11:45am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bored at work? Quit your job or DIE!

Without seeing the original study, one must take MSN's interpretation of the results with a grain of salt. But it is an interesting read, especially if you need a little more urging to quit your job or go back to school, accumulate more debt, and hope for a better job.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8122651/
    "Dull, low-level jobs linked to heart risk
    Study: Little control over tasks could lead to cardiovascular disease
    Updated: 9:45 a.m. ET June 7, 2005WASHINGTON - Dull, steady, unexciting jobs may make the heart beat in an unchanging, rapid rhythm — which in turn could lead to heart disease, British researchers reported.

They found that men with “low-grade jobs,” meaning they had little control over daily tasks, and men in low social positions had faster and less-variable heart rates.

“This finding helps explain why men with low-paying jobs and less education have a higher risk for heart disease, a trend that has been evident for the last 30 years,” said Dr. Harry Hemingway, of University College London Medical School, who led the study.

“The heart doesn’t, or shouldn’t, beat like a metronome,” Hemingway said in a statement.

A healthy heart rate varies, he said.

His team studied 2,197 men aged 45 to 68 who worked for the British government, and talked to them about friends and family, education and lifestyle.

Job control was rated on a 15-item scale.

Steadier, faster heart rates were consistently seen in the men with lower social positions, less job control and higher depression.

Writing in the journal Circulation, Hemingway and colleagues said they found that heart rates of men in low-level positions were an average 3.2 beats per minute faster than men in top-level positions.

“Arteries behave as if they know how much a person makes and how much education they have had,” Hemingway said.

The effect was clear even after taking into account factors such as smoking, poor diet and lack of exercise — all of which also can adversely affect heart rate, Hemingway said.

It may be possible to help prevent heart disease by changing workplace conditions, Hemingway said.

“We hope this information provides insight into the mechanisms at work so that there is a possibility for interventions that will change this outcome,” he said."

Or you could just do crank every once and awhile at work to change that heart rate. Plus your boss would think you were a great worker.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AIEEEEE! I´m quiting right now!

**** you math class

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I use this for school too?

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 6:38pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Can I use this for school too?

Sure. I think it could be expanded to include any endeavor that takes up a large portion of your day. I only wish this study would have came out when I was still married...

"Hey honey, you are so damn boring that my heart rate is always the same. Since I would rather live a long time then to die early, and since being married to you is definitely going to kill me according to this new study, I must move on. BTW, most of the time we had sex I faked it so I could go to sleep and dream about eating pizza."