Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think about situations in Iraq right now.

I would suspect that many instances that soldiers deal with is an escalating use of force in more of a police action role. Sure they are in gunfights. But more often they are probably in a heated argument with a civilian that they have to control, detain, or move. In short, much of the work done in Iraq is police work. And obviously shooting everyone in every situtation is not an option.

So in terms of practical applicability I would say that MMA style training would prepare them better than standard BS.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that MA training probably does more to develop a warrior mentality than shooting. However, in a combat zone I'd rather be confident in my ability to consistently hit my target at 200 meters, than my ability to apply a JUJI GATAME.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never underestimate the power of juji gatame.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I agree that MA training probably does more to develop a warrior mentality than shooting. However, in a combat zone I'd rather be confident in my ability to consistently hit my target at 200 meters, than my ability to apply a JUJI GATAME.

No one is replacing shooting skills.

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:36pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The current military doctrine is to use overwhelming technology (better weapons with greater range/accuracy) to destroy the enemy. But the military isn't stupid, and recognizes that you're occasionally going to end up fighting hand-to-hand, and also has always recognized the value of "alive" training.

Hence, why MMA-based cirriculum is appealing. The more you fight, the better you get at it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But they get an XP bonus modifier for being in Iraq depending on MOS.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand marksmanship is not being replaced. My point is that if the army is looking for ways to improve the effectiveness of its soldiers, I think there are much better ways than putting them through 20 or 30 hrs. of MMA training. I would begin by attempting to raise the marksmanship skill of the average soldier to that of the average Marine.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 12:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if it were something other than an abbreviated course in hand-to-hand, I'd think it were awesome.

If it were something required to be undertaken by every member in a combat capacity for the entire term of enlistment, so as to become a part of the military culture, I'd think it were a great development.

But, I guess they have to start somewhere.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, I'm not sure how much I understand this. I've been doing MA for a much longer amount of time than the length of this Army program, but I'd feel pretty helpless going unarmed against someone with an AK 47 or RPK. I mean, unless the RPK man is going to be stupid enough to walk up to me when he could just as easily hose me down from 25 feet away, the martial arts background is still kind of a moot point. Like, if you had Soviet machine gun with a big drum of ammunition, and your enemy was unarmed, why would you take a single step towards your enemy when you could just shoot him from a distance?
    Wounded Ronin, I think you're pretty cool, but you're also missing the point, which is this:
    What if your enemy DOESN'T have a machine gun, and neither do you?

Also, the Army is actually trying to take steps to increase the troops' ability as riflemen at the moment as well. For instance, new recruits are now required to learn to strip and care for an M16 or M4 much earlier in the program and from then on carry the rifle with them for most of the day (maybe all.) They load the rifles with blanks so that negligent discharges will be loud and obvious, then dare the recruits to carry these rifles safely. That's a HUGE improvement.
    (No, I don't know much about the military, but I know enough about guns. Forcing people to ingrain safe practices into their daily routine is a fantastic idea.)

Posted On:
    6/07/2005 6:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I would begin by attempting to raise the marksmanship skill of the average soldier to that of the average Marine.

***ears perk up***
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast