232535 Bullies, 3959 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overeem vs. Werdum - a reckless summation

The HW mma landscape is...well...tangled. Tonight, it unravels a little bit, as Overeem vs Werdum (and Barnett vs Rogers) closes out the first round of the Strikforce HW tourney.

Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem, the only man in combat sports to hold a K1 and major mma title simultaneously, and quite possibly the most imposing physical specimen in mma at 256 lbs of horsemeat and asswhup, will tonight face Fabricio Werdum (who beat Bigfoot Silva, the great Fedor - who then subsequently lost to Silva), and even Overeem himself 6 years ago, but who lost to fellow top-ten Junior Dos Santos in the UFC, causing his release from that promo).

This same night, heavy-handed Bret "Grim" Rogers (lost to Fedor and Overeem after beating Arlovski), will face off against Josh Barnett, who last lost in 2006 (to big Nog). This will close out the opening round of the Strikeforce HW tourney.

The Brazilian submission master, Werdum, shocked the mma world, when he locked in the triangle-heard-round-the-int3rnets, and tapped Russian sambo/mma great Fedor, who'd not dropped an mma match in (other than a technicality) in 10 years and who left a broken pile of mma's who's-who in his wake. Werdum comes into this fight having subbed a very different incarnation of "The Demolition Man", years prior, via a comeback kimura from-the-bottom.

Since that time, Overeem has packed on a serious amount of muscle. Along the way, he's mashed many poor souls...and now holds the Strikeforce HW belt, the DREAM interim HW belt, and why not...he went ahead and beat some of the best kick boxers in the world, to capture the K1 belt. Never has a man held this kind of beltage in mma and kickboxing simultaneously. He has his eyes on the UFC, and whomever holds their HW belt...but that path lies through this tourney.

Werdum vs Overeem, it could be argued, involves the best HW grappler vs. the best HW striker on the planet. Since their last matchup, Werdum has developed his striking considerably, and Overeem has cartooned out, and carries all the practical weight his massive frame can hold, not to mention perfected his big man kickboxing with world famous Golden Glory Gym in his native Lolland. Overeem is also quite the submission artist, with one of mma's most dangerous guillotines (long limbs, and good instincts).

So bullies, depending on who wins...what does this now mean, as far as how we rank the HW's? Oh and UFC lovers, you don't have to climb off the Zuffa balls, as they recently bought whatever balls the rest of us, were riding. Let's all enjoy this fight for the EPIC matchup it is.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 6/18/2011 5:48pm at .

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't get the see the fights as they happened, but I just saw the Barnett v. Rogers fight on YouTube. It was interesting to see Barnett given his recent issues. I was expecting a harder time for him, but he showed a lot of ability, at least on the ground. I'm surprised Rogers couldn't do more, actually. Given Barnett's background I would have expected more preparation in that area.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would seem like a good idea to let the GP winner get an immediate UFC title shot. Afterwards we can all circle jerk about the rankings.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

:)

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel Oxide View Post
    I didn't get the see the fights as they happened, but I just saw the Barnett v. Rogers fight on YouTube. It was interesting to see Barnett given his recent issues. I was expecting a harder time for him, but he showed a lot of ability, at least on the ground. I'm surprised Rogers couldn't do more, actually. Given Barnett's background I would have expected more preparation in that area.
    Barnett, roid issues aside, is one of the very best heavyweights, and IMO possibly the smartest (in the cage/ring), or one of...

He made his fight with Rogers look like a training session. I'd love to see him in the UFC. A lot of the top UFC guys would have a real tough time with Josh.

I call Overeem over Silva, but not by much. I think Barnett will be too much for Karitonov, who is badass, but there's only so much striking you can do from your back, and Barnett knows how to takedown...as good as anyone in the game.

If that does come about...I'm going to go out on a limb, and call Barnett. I think he has the specific tools to beat Overeem, although I think he's the only one, in the mix, that I'd pick over the giant from Lolland.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 3:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How to fix HW MMA:

• Install Cruiser Weight class - between MW and LHW. Jones and Rua are NOT even remotely the same body type.
    • Install a Super Heavyweight class, for the Lesnars, Sapps, and Nelsons. Also, Werdum, trimmed down, is a LHW, like Fedor, the Nogs, or virtually ANYBODY who dominated the division in the last ten years. LOL at Randy Couture for being the "Heavyweight champ".
    • Fix judging, rules, and refereeing: Werdum against the Reem was just so bad because the rules don't reward aggression, because the judges seem skullfucked, and because the referee didn't do his job. The same goes for Griggs against Old Reem, BTW: Wolverine was fisting the back of Valentin's head so hard, if it was a ****, it would have squirted. And that, right in front of the referee, direct POV angle.

:)

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    How to fix HW MMA:

• Install Cruiser Weight class - between MW and LHW. Jones and Rua are NOT even remotely the same body type.
    • Install a Super Heavyweight class, for the Lesnars, Sapps, and Nelsons. Also, Werdum, trimmed down, is a LHW, like Fedor, the Nogs, or virtually ANYBODY who dominated the division in the last ten years. LOL at Randy Couture for being the "Heavyweight champ".
    • Fix judging, rules, and refereeing: Werdum against the Reem was just so bad because the rules don't reward aggression, because the judges seem skullfucked, and because the referee didn't do his job. The same goes for Griggs against Old Reem, BTW: Wolverine was fisting the back of Valentin's head so hard, if it was a c***, it would have squirted. And that, right in front of the referee, direct POV angle.
    alternately:

• 205-230 and a 231-265 bracket. IMO a +265 bracket would be too sparsely populated.
    • give warnings and take points for stalling (sitting on butt motioning to 'get in my guard' is lame the 5th time, and stupid the 10th time).

IMO, Werdum is far too big to cut to 205 with any good results. Same for some of the others. 230 is a good line, where no one needs to get fat, or pee blood from dehydration in the manner of a young A. Overeem.