Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 2:28pm

Style: Shaolin Hung Gar Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does anybody use pro-hormones?

Two summers ago I was in the best shape of my life. I started working out with a good friend who knew a ton about fitness, and I managed to go from 148 lbs with about 12% body fat to 175 with no more than 7% in 2 months of working out 5 days a week. I got back to school after the summer and none of my friends even recognized me.
    During that summer, I was using a legal pro-steroid called Mag-10. It was expensive, but it gave me the energy I needed to power through work-outs for 2 hours each day. Now that I'm back into Kung Fu, I'd like to use something similar to bulk up in preparation for a tournament in August. (before you ask, yes, I know for a fact that they do not test) Unfortunately, I found out to my dismay that Mag-10 has been banned, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm currently 6'1", 165 lbs. with no known allergies. Both my doctor and the personal trainers I've spoken to about this have no knowledge about using these supplements at all.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steroids and performan enhnacers are a crutch.
    Don't use them, you'll be dependant on them both pysically and psychologically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 2:45pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two words: small balls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 4:06pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck having kids or producing your own testosterone for that matter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of the time I brought up Kung Fu in a room full of Magic: The Gathering players and got dozens of informed opinions about it based entirely upon their repeat viewings of Jackie Chan movies.

I'll spare you the details of why the two posters above me sound remarkably ignorant. Suffice it to say that the stuff you shoot into your leg that completely fucks your hormone production up and makes you sterile and the stuff you buy from nutrition stores are NOT the same thing, and confusing the effects of the two is a ridiculous juxtaposition to anyone who knows what he's talking about.

Darth_Ronin- thanks for your input.

Now if anyone can actually answer my question, it would be really really cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 4:55pm

Style: Wrestling, Camarillo BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Darth_Ronin said, don't get hooked on performance enhancers like that, sure it's alot easier to get really good results but you won't have the same satisfaction as if you did it all on your own. If I were you and I really wanted supplements just use Creatine and Whey Protein supplements, those are all you really need.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 5:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got another question for you. Why is Whey Protein considered "better" than, say, egg or soy protein?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 5:06pm

Style: Wrestling, Camarillo BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it's the fastest absorbing protein there is, so if you take it right after you lift, your body will absorb it quicker than egg or soy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 6:07pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suffice it to say that the stuff you shoot into your leg that completely fucks your hormone production up and makes you sterile and the stuff you buy from nutrition stores are NOT the same thing, and confusing the effects of the two is a ridiculous juxtaposition to anyone who knows what he's talking about.
    This is true.
    The former actually works, but has significant risks.
    The latter is largely ineffective, but only costs you money.

The problem is that there really is no middle ground. A substance either adjusts hormone levels or it doesn't. Prohormone supplementation is based on the flawed notion that the body will crank out a given hormone so long as it has a big pile of what-could-eventually-be-said-hormone. It is akin to saying that consuming protein will cause growth of muscle tissue since muscle tissue is made from protein. The body is still controlling the rate of production.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 6:19pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin
    Got another question for you. Why is Whey Protein considered "better" than, say, egg or soy protein?
    The bioavailability argument was already brought up.

Egg protein is a very good protein, but the big issue is that preparing, cooking, and digesting solid eggs takes longer than an already powdered whey shake.

Another reason is that whey protein powders usually have casein in them too. As explained here ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi16.htm ), casein is a slowly digested protein that helps control catabolism (muscle breakdown), especially in the case of sleep.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast