Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow you guys are nuts. Update for those who waste there time on these forums (like me). Paul Thomas was promoted to black belt this past Sunday by Vinicius "Draculino" Magalhaes (Gracie Barra BH) Paul's original BJJ master. Alvis Solis (Machado BB) was present for the promotion. Paul's academy is extraordinary, and if you're ever in the area please stop by, you are personally invited by me (Paul's wife). You can check out pics of the school and bios (not up to date since Sunday, but I know how you guys love bios & pics). www.katyjiujitsu.com If you have any question as to whether Paul or his academy are the REAL DEAL please stop by, call or email Draculino or Alvis! They would be glad to set you straight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dam0011
    Wow you guys are nuts. Update for those who waste there time on these forums (like me). Paul Thomas was promoted to black belt this past Sunday by Vinicius "Draculino" Magalhaes (Gracie Barra BH) Paul's original BJJ master. Alvis Solis (Machado BB) was present for the promotion. Paul's academy is extraordinary, and if you're ever in the area please stop by, you are personally invited by me (Paul's wife). You can check out pics of the school and bios (not up to date since Sunday, but I know how you guys love bios & pics). www.katyjiujitsu.com If you have any question as to whether Paul or his academy are the REAL DEAL please stop by, call or email Draculino or Alvis! They would be glad to set you straight.
    Tell him congratulations.

It still shows him as a Brown Belt under his Bio. Notice, it was a misunderstanding from 2 years ago. People thought he was the Green belt that was mentioned in the original post.

It has now been cleared up.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no worries.

I'll tell him.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats to Paul.
    Couldnt have happend to a better guy!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap. Nice facility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    When a judo blackbelt stopped counting for grappling was the tournament where BJ Penn won a judo tournament over all the black belts as a BJJ white belt. Most judo players don't have a lot of ground game. Now that I've dissed judo I will say I study it too along with wrestling for non groundwork.

Then slack.
    just to clarify on thing....

if i recall correctly, BJ was a BJJ black belt who entered wearing a white belt since it was a judo tournament and he holds no rank in judo.

but perhaps i'm wrong...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 5:40pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Thomas's bio in 2005 lists him as a third dan in Judo (scroll down linked page).

http://web.archive.org/web/200502080...structors.html

A later bio lists Paul Thomas as a sixth dan in Judo with 20 years experience.

http://www.jademountain.org/paul.html

Now 3rd Dan to 6th Dan in a couple of years = Impossible

6th Dan in twenty years impossible (under any credible federation)

Basically he might be a decent brown belt in BJJ but there is no way on this earth he is a legitimate 6th Dan in Judo. That is a seriously high grade. The only people of Paul Thomas's age I've seen with 6th dans upwards in the UK are former world champions and olympiads like Neil Adams and Graham Randall.

Basically Paul's bios are Bullshido
    :new_2guns
    Last edited by BomberH; 10/23/2007 5:45pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the average time it takes to be a judo king?
    Just curious!
    Look im sure that all these questions have legit answers.
    You should call Paul and ask him. His wife even offered for you to come by.
    If you dont want to call Paul Call Karl Geis not Karel Giess at http://www.karlgeis.com/ 713-468-4879 He should be able to clear this up.
    Here is what I think the problem is. Some fukin tard on the Jade Mtn site is writing whatever he wants. Paul would never have allowed them to misspell Karl's name. Makes me think PT never saw the page. Lets just stop complaining about a site that is clearly wrought with errors. I dont think its fair to PT. If I were PT I'd have a lawyer call Jade Mtn and tell em to pull the page but thats just me.

Am I getting better at this?

-James Burke
    Last edited by jpatburke; 10/24/2007 1:29am at .

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karl Geis gave Paul a Rokudan (6th) if you want to come by and see the certificate or call Geis then please do it, but your incessant talking **** is pathetic without researching your facts. This is the last time I am responding to this studip thread. Unless you have visited the academy or trained w/ Paul then shut the **** up. Just b/c you have a blue or purple belt in BJJ doesn't make you the expert on fucking everything! The only reason I have responded to this BS is b/c someone fowarded me this thread. I know it is easier to HATE and talk **** then to train and do something meaningfull. So go on and hate you spiritual vampires.
    Last edited by dam0011; 10/24/2007 10:08am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must be a regional thing. My school (http://www.precisionkarate.com) does yellow, orange, and green belts (white with 1, 2, or 3 stripes respectively). Adults and kids, doesn't matter. It's the same over at Travis Tooke's gym (http://www.teamtooke.com/), which is where my instructors train (they have brown belt & purple belts in bjj). Even seen some grappling tournaments that broke the beginner gi divisions down by those belt colors.

I was told it was more of a retention thing for the adults (kids get stripes, but no blue belts). People were getting burned out on their way to getting a blue belt, and this solution seems to have worked out for them. Belt promotions are still based on proficiency & competition.

This place is about 15 minutes from me. If I get time this weekend I'll check out their grappling class and bring back some opinions.
    Last edited by indy007; 10/24/2007 1:39pm at .
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast