Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The SBG does have a green belt in BJJ for kids (15 and under). A green belt is as far as they can go and all it means is once they turn 16 they should be at the level to test rigth for blue belt.

'How old do you have to be to receive a belt in BJJ?

Up until the age of 15 the kids can receive children's BJJ ranks which are:

White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    So when a coach sees a child with a green belt on then we know they are ready for blue belt once they get a little older.'

http://www.straightblastgym.com/bjjtesting.htm

(* So maybe he is under 16?? *)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 7:38pm

Style: TKD, Praying Mantis, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not sure if he has a green belt in BJJ i dk my friends younger brother does BJJ there now

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 8:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by studiobuddy
    im not sure if he has a green belt in BJJ i dk my friends younger brother does BJJ there now
    "im not sure if he has a green belt in BJJ"...but his site says he does, and it's a rank for those under 16. Perhaps your friend's younger brother could check into the green belt business for us. Since your friend's younger brother is probably training BJJ under Sensei Thomas, he'd probably also be able to let us know what BJJ belt rank Sensei Thomas holds and under whom. Sifu and sensei need to clear these issues up or people will think something's not right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 8:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Student, that's the standard BJJ child ranking system. Not unique to SBG by any means.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that any kid wearing a green belt is capable of some serious asskickery, to the point where they should at the very least receive the blue by age 16 automatically and be at a high blue belt level of knowledge and technique.

To see a guy looking to be in his mid/late-20s wearing a green belt is highly suspect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 10:21pm

Style: Hung Suen Wing Chun, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    Student, that's the standard BJJ child ranking system. Not unique to SBG by any means.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that any kid wearing a green belt is capable of some serious asskickery, to the point where they should at the very least receive the blue by age 16 automatically and be at a high blue belt level of knowledge and technique.

To see a guy looking to be in his mid/late-20s wearing a green belt is highly suspect.

You are correct, Green Belt is used for kids only so no idea why a 20 or so year old would be using it. Maybe he really doesnt do BJJ, maybe the foto is misrepresented?? who knows?? Can we get in contact with the guy himself?? How about one of you guys in the US actually call the school and just ask them, i would do it but im in AUS..

Posted On:
    6/02/2005 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker1976
    Can we get in contact with the guy himself?? How about one of you guys in the US actually call the school and just ask them, i would do it but im in AUS..
    Why drop a dime when you can email him for free?

http://www.jademountain.org/contact.html

You might just want to email him this thread. Let us know if he responds.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/03/2005 12:11am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Catch me with?

Nothing. He was demonstrating a technique. I didn't feel much pressure as he was talking us through it. Next thing I know he is waking me up. Turns out I was sleeping for a couple of seconds. Felt good though. I highly endorse the Pedro collar choke! It's a ninja attack.
    Ninja mind control my friend :5eek:

You thought he was demonstrating a technique.....

In reality, you attacked him on the street, he choked you out, and raped your mind into thinking it was just a demonstration technique :rolleyes:

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/03/2005 7:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see anything wrong with that school apart from the comment on a green belt. Check out the videos section as well if anyone wants to take a look. There's footage from a "submission tournament" ^^

Any Kung fu might benefit from some regular sparring, but I can't see anything about this place that smells bullshido. BJJ ranks must be a real issue for some. If they for some reason include green belts in their school even to adults (*GASP!*) then that's their deal. Call me gullible if you want, but I see nothing wrong here.

Hell, from some of the video demos, I'm thinking this is a pretty good place if you like the Kung fu focus.
    Last edited by fanatical; 6/03/2005 7:53am at .
    More human than human is our motto.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    6/03/2005 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems pretty obvious to me. The Thomas guy is the school's grappling instructor. He's a bona fide BJJ guy, but not high ranked enough to give out BJJ belts, although he claims to be pretty competent having genuine rank himself and being a Judo 3rd Dan. The Jade mountain people want him to teach BJJ, and rather than invent a new style or something - they've simply invented a new belt colour - which I would presume is somewhere past white belt, and consistent with the fact that everything they do is green

No harm, no foul.

Of course, the obvious and non-controversial thing to have done would have been to have taught the same stuff but labelled it judo instead, but then I think the student numbers would have been much lower.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/03/2005 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Negative. A blue belt cannot give rank in BJJ. He has violated protocol and must be exterminated.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast