Our Sponsors:

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 8:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's Alvis Solis' rationale for using the children's belts in adult ranking (from the link I mentioned above):

I give out yellow, orange, and green belts to my adult students as well as children. I did not feel comfortable handing out Blues or Purples when I was a Brown Belt. I needed a way to encourage my students without putting a million stripes on a white belt. I thought that I would stop this when I became a Black Belt but I haven't.
    It's a funny thing. Once I give out those yellow belts, students tend to stay longer and are motivated to get to the next level.
    They become more consistent and excited. Its as exciting to them as getting a Blue Belt. At tournaments, they compete as white belts, the belts are worn in my school only. At the green belt level, they are almost ready for Blue and need to be giving everyone a tough time, especially Blues from other schools. The quality of the Blues at my school remains high. The whites,yellow,orange, and green belts, know its hard to get that Blue Belt.

With all new students now, I have them come in twice a week for a 1 hour fundamental class for 8 weeks before they can free roll, unless they are in {cue scary music}....you guessed it....THE BLACK BELT CLUB!!! If they are in the BBC, then they can come in for the fundamental class and stay for the regular BJJ class, but they can not free roll for the first 8 weeks. So I now have guys who when they start free rolling, they have seen every basic position at least twice and have a basic game. The level in my school has gone up a notch or two. And yes, Lloyd Irvin influenced me a great deal.

When I start worrying about what other people think about what I am doing at my school (and I still do), I just remind myself that no one but me is responsible for my bills. Then I remind myself that I love my school and students and that I am providing them with the best BJJ instruction that I am capable of. I write the lesson plan every Sunday, and try to improve on student service as much as possible.

If the new belts increases the number of people staying involved with BJJ, then I am all for it.

Alvis

Alvis, do you know where Paul Thomas is now? He mysteriously dropped from the instructor roster at Katy Jiu-Jitsu/Westside MMA.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes you are posting off topic stuff that is being weeded out of MABS. As will this post shortly. The rules have changed quite a bit since you frequented the website.
    Well since you haven't jacked with my recent posts on this thread about what happened to Paul Thomas, I'll take it that that issue is still considered "on topic."

Apropos of which I very recently received a report from one of my little helpers that Paul Thomas was "evicted" from Westside MMA because of "inappropriate actions and unacceptable behavior with several of the young students." Whether said "young students" were male or female is unknown at this time.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My informant forwarded me this email sent out by Westside MMA:

-----Several weeks ago Paul Thomas was evicted from Westside Mixed Martial Arts --- the reasons for this action on our part related to his inappropriate actions and unacceptable behavior with several of the young students -- once we were informed of his actions -- it was impossible to keep him on as a coach/instructor. During the past several weeks, we refrained from any public notification or discourse as to why he is no longer part of the Westside team. However, he is now purposefully and incorrectly stating that Westside MMA LLC. has moved to a new address. --- IT HAS NOT ---- IT IS STILL AT 21734 PROVINCIAL BLVD (UNITS 200 - 240) IN MASON CREEK INDUSTRIAL PARK. OUR MISSION REMAINS THE SAME -- TO PRODUCE WORLD CLASS MARTIAL ARTISTS --- Thank You

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The email sent out by "Westside" was in itself inappropriate, incorrect and self-serving. The vision for the school and it's direction were at the heart of the issue. "Westside" voluntarily released any and all wanting to support and follow Paul Thomas from their gym contracts. Needless to say Paul Thomas has landed on his feet opening his as of yet to be named new school. All but a couple of his ranked students (youth and adult) have followed him to his new school.

"Capitalism attacks and destroys all the finer sentiments of the human heart; it ruthlessly sweeps away old traditions and ideas opposed to its progress, and it exploits and corrupts those things once held sacred. " Daniel De Leon

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my name is brandon mullins and i am replying to the above email that has been posted,that email is the second of its kind. the first had my name on it,i did not write that email,i didnt approve the email,and my name was put on it without my knowledge. please do not include me in the mud slinging and slanderous nature of the said email. to repeat,my name was attached to this email with out my permission and without my endorsement.

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoo247 View Post
    The email sent out by "Westside" was in itself inappropriate, incorrect and self-serving. The vision for the school and it's direction were at the heart of the issue.
    So this is just dojo politics, with Westside making up a story about Paul Thomas engaging in hanky-panky with younger students? If that's the case, it would appear that Paul has a good case for a libel suit.

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonmullins View Post
    my name is brandon mullins and i am replying to the above email that has been posted,that email is the second of its kind. the first had my name on it,i did not write that email,i didnt approve the email,and my name was put on it without my knowledge. please do not include me in the mud slinging and slanderous nature of the said email. to repeat,my name was attached to this email with out my permission and without my endorsement.
    I can confirm that Brandon Mullins' name was indeed one of the five names attached to the email that was forwarded to me by my informant. Of the other four names attached to the email, three belong to the instructional staff listed on the Westside web site.

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 8:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is Alex Cisne, I am posting under Brandon Mullins' account because I couldn't figure out how to create an account and post a reply...yeah I know. Not very computer savy, and not a big fan of these forums. It has come to my attention that my name was also posted on the original copy of this letter. It was done so without my consent or prior knowledge. I too would like to stay out of the drama. It is none of my buisness, and I don't want it to be.

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this is certainly interesting. I post an email forwarded to me, and I deliberately leave the signatories' names off the posted email. And now people whose names appeared on the email start crawling out of the woodwork--identifying themselves as those whose names appeared on the email when I did not so identify them--and begin repudiating the email. There were three more names on the email. Let's see if we hear from them.
    Last edited by DuckofDeath; 7/31/2010 12:51am at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris? Kenny? Aaron?