Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're not as good as boxers at boxing.

Duh.

Put a boxer and an MMA "striker" in an all-strikes-allowed type of fight, and see who has a better overall showing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 11:48pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a bit OT, but I've always thought the idea that boxers are better than MMA fighters at boxing or that boxers will automatically beat an MMA fighter in a boxing match are gross generalizations. Do people forget that training boxing is a big part of MMA striking nowadays? That many MMAists log many sparring hours doing straight boxing? Is every boxer equal? I mean take a look at Friday Night Fights on ESPN or Broadway Boxing on whatever channel that is. I can definitely see a number of MMA fighters holding their own with the boxers featured in these shows.

I also doubt Manny Pacquiao is an FMA guy, unless Freddie Roach also happens to be influenced by FMA. Not impossible, but I dont see it.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 12:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    He's right about the correlation, but I think a lot of people were indepentently making the same adjustments to the style around that time period, so I don't think we can put modern boxing squarely on the filipinos.

Kind of a side point to the validity of his material, since he fights well and gameplans better.
    The comment was just thrown out there and what I take it to mean is that the European fighting strategies involving straight thrusting motions came into contact with South Pacific knife movements and it made an imprint on these fighting strategies, including on boxing wich in some fundamental respects was based on fencing movements (linear weight shifts thrusting in). Wht he particularly alluded to is the position of the lead hand wich was much more of a thrusting weapon dependent on weight and body mechanics in the old days, before the hand became turned over and more free wich we see in boxing from after the bare knuckles era.

Lets remember that his comment makes a lot of sense when you consider:

1) How it translates in reverse: I.e. the Filipino arts were influenced by the Western Fencing as well

2) You can see Western fencing concepts even in some Koryu exposed to the Europeans! again arts borrow from each other

3) A freer hand makes more sense with two handed styles wich Western fencing degenerated into dueling one handed styles that was just begging for some good ole Filipino common sense.

4) the connection between Western boxing and fencing

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 12:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    Good within the MMA framework. Not compared to boxers. Their fubamentals are wrong(i.e. keeping chin up, not enough jabs, etc.). When money gets better, will see more trained boxers in MMA...

yeah when exactly will that be? Your comparison is on the order of saying that we will build a better spacecraft when we want to fly a mission to the SAturn moonscape. To be valid you have to consider the striking ability of the average MMA guy.... Today, not against Floyd Mayweather Junior.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234