Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2003 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

Do you think UFC will ever truly be big like boxing ect?

I have observed many people watch it for the first time and many people hate it for its brutality or its lack off "Stand up and fight like a man"

You listen to the crowd; itís when people are going for it standing is when people cheer the hardest.

Watching people not do much on the ground is boring for 3 rounds, especially for the mass market.

MMA can be mixed.

One round stand up. (Which is what everyone wants to see.)

Then other rounds ground work permitted. Then at least people can go to the toilet and come back while fighting is still on the ground.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/14/2003 2:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its huge in Japan and Brasil, so i definetely think its possible here in N. america. Just takes time for ppl to learn what they're seeing.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Posted On:
    3/14/2003 2:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody wants to watch two romos rub their respective junk on each other, with the exception of IGBJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2003 3:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I watched the my first UFC (IV i think it was, where Royce and Dan Severn fight at the end) I thought most of it was boring. Dan Severn vs the Thai boxer was good, as was Joe Son getting his nuts punched in! I thought the Royce and Dan Severn fight was dull as hell and fast forwarded to the end.

Now I'm much more interested in MMA. Once I found out more about the technical side I was hooked. Once I found out how to do a triangle choke I thought "so thats why Dan Severn tapped!". I try and get my non MA mates interested and they love the stand up stuff but get bored when it goes to the ground. They loved Frye vs Takayama! Maybe I should just triangle them to win them over.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/14/2003 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Royce put it, "I'm not there to be entertaining. I'm there to win". As long as people want fights to look like Hollywood, MMA doesn't stand a chance.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"