Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 5:29pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lose weight and gain muscle?

Currently I am 5'8 and about 172lbs. About a month and a half ago I was around 180 lbs.

So I am definatly losing weight, but... I want to make sure that I am definatly not losing any muscle, and hopefully I will actually gain some.

I take BJJ twice a week and Judo once a week. I eat about 2000 calories in a day, and roughly 15-20% of that is protien. While I burn anywhere from 3000-3500 depending on what I do in the day (all according to fitday.com).

So my question is, how much, what and when should I be eating to still lose weight ( I hope to be around 165 by the end of summer), and still gain muscle? Is there a concern of not eating enough?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 5:47pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on dropping the weight first, then go towards your building phase. If you're dropping weight at your current level of diet, then maintain that until the loss tapers off, then cut out a little more of the diet. You'll know if you're cutting too much if your lifting/training is too fatiguing, since you don't have the energy for it

Good job on your current progress.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So your APPEARANCE might change, but your weight might not. Everything depends on your body composition. Protien is not the end-all-be-all of how your body makes muscle. Keeping a good diet that includes not starving yourself of important nutrients is key to a healthy body. Nobody is going to tell you how much protien, carbs, and calories you should take over the internet on a forum. If you are serious about it, see a professional who can evaluate you in person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Focus on dropping the weight first, then go towards your building phase. If you're dropping weight at your current level of diet, then maintain that until the loss tapers off, then cut out a little more of the diet. You'll know if you're cutting too much if your lifting/training is too fatiguing, since you don't have the energy for it
    Sounds good. I am not actively trying to gain muscle per say. I am just training and am not used to this strenious of a routine. I dont want it to become any harder than it already is and I am hoping it is going to get easier.

I have not noticed any additional fatigue than what I am used to, so I will just stick with what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So your APPEARANCE might change, but your weight might not. Everything depends on your body composition. Protien is not the end-all-be-all of how your body makes muscle. Keeping a good diet that includes not starving yourself of important nutrients is key to a healthy body. Nobody is going to tell you how much protien, carbs, and calories you should take over the internet on a forum. If you are serious about it, see a professional who can evaluate you in person.
    Well I have tried to eat healthy, 5 food groups and all.

I am not particularily serious about it. Someone made a comment to me the other day, in regards to their own diet, about compensating the loss of muscle mass while dieting by eating extra protien. So that led me to wonder...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 7:03pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll be fine with what you are doing, just keep lifting progressively and you shouldn't lose much if any muscle as long as you aren't starving yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2005 10:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    You'll be fine with what you are doing, just keep lifting progressively and you shouldn't lose much if any muscle as long as you aren't starving yourself.
    I actually have yet to do any "lifting"... I gain muscle from attempting to do the 100+ pushups in BJJ class. When your not in that great of shape, it doesnt take much :icon_redf

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    5/31/2005 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also suggest upping the protein...
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2005 6:37pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat about 2000 calories in a day, and roughly 15-20% of that is protien. While I burn anywhere from 3000-3500 depending on what I do in the day
    Why are we overlooking the simple math of this? If these numbers are accurate, that is roughly a 30-40% caloric deficit...which is WAY too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2005 2:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocrates
    Why are we overlooking the simple math of this? If these numbers are accurate, that is roughly a 30-40% caloric deficit...which is WAY too much.
    What would be a more appropriate calorie intake?

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    6/01/2005 2:52am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2500-3000 if you are burning that much...
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh