Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    19th century bare knuckle boxers used plenty of combinations, with skilled footwork and defense (including slipping, etc). The stereotype/myth that they were immobile, slogging bruisers arose because people failed to grasp that the pre-Marquis of Queensberry rule-set (that of the London Prize Ring) mandated its own set of techniques.

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 12:19am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.thraz View Post
    Interesting post. I've heard of the european fencing influence on filipino arts but not the boxing influence, of course I practice filipino weapons arts so it's no surprise. I question your statement that the europeans didn't use or contribute any footwork to filipino boxing. European fencing relies heavily on footwork and body motion it's hard to believe european boxing dosen't apply any footwork technique.

Are you saying 52 blocks is an instinctive style which everyone that shares central african genetics displays(potentially)? Or are you saying that the fighters you mentioned have all specifically trained in the 52 blocks style?

I like the idea of closed quarters stand up self defense techniques, which appears to be what 52 block is all about. The only problem is bringing unavoidable grappling and take downs into the scenario.

It seems like you've made some great speculations and assumptions in your blog; if you have sources, back it up, if not just be sure to let us know what you're speculating on. No problem with sharing your thoughts, it's when guys try to pass their ideas off as facts that things become more complicated.

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 3:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, B.C.R., Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    19th century bare knuckle boxers used plenty of combinations, with skilled footwork and defense (including slipping, etc). The stereotype/myth that they were immobile, slogging bruisers arose because people failed to grasp that the pre-Marquis of Queensberry rule-set (that of the London Prize Ring) mandated its own set of techniques.

YouTube - 52 answer.mpeg

its hard for me to believe that that combo where being throne if peter jackson, a man, who died in 1901
    is credited with inventing the 1-2.

although I don't know near enough to argue with you about what pre-Marquis of Queensberry technequies were.

Quote Originally Posted by Reason for the sleazin' View Post
    Interesting post. I've heard of the european fencing influence on filipino arts but not the boxing influence, of course I practice filipino weapons arts so it's no surprise. I question your statement that the europeans didn't use or contribute any footwork to filipino boxing. European fencing relies heavily on footwork and body motion it's hard to believe european boxing dosen't apply any footwork technique.

well then you should know of this guy.

Guro Harley Elmore.

Lacasta / Inosanto Instructor, probably a jdk guy by the look of him.

YouTube - pananatukan boxing link.mpeg

thats who I got the info from.

Are you saying 52 blocks is an instinctive style which everyone that shares central african genetics displays(potentially)?

cultural, not genetic.

Or are you saying that the fighters you mentioned have all specifically trained in the 52 blocks style?

no,

I'm saying that 52, or “rocking” as my daddy called it, is the African-Americans version of “combat- boxing” so to speak .

Taking the Marquis of Queensberry rules out of Boxing frees us to call upon movements and techniques that have cultural significance to us that the Marquis rules force out .

The “kings crown” is an empty hand version of an overhand stick block found in many central African
    stick systems and is also found in Kalinda/ Haitian machete.

“Skull & Crossbones” and “The Bank Robber” are both blocks found in Capoeira and Danmye.

Even the B.C.R. Form of rocking my father taught me has a Ginga.

All of these moves are also seen in Uprocking (the precursor to break-dancing) and in break-dancing itself .

I like the idea of closed quarters stand up self defense techniques, which appears to be what 52 block is all about. The only problem is bringing unavoidable grappling and take downs into the scenario.

I agree, I just don't know why it didn't happen on its own, there is a great wrestling tradition in central africa .
    Last edited by mr.thraz; 12/15/2010 4:16am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - 52 answer.mpeg

its hard for me to believe that that combo where being throne if peter jackson, a man, who died in 1901
    is credited with inventing the 1-2.
    I'm sorry, but that's errant nonsense. Published fight accounts and training manuals produced long before Jackson's era clearly demonstrate that the 1-2 combination was basic to the art of boxing well before he was born.

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's errant nonsense. Published fight accounts and training manuals produced long before Jackson's era clearly demonstrate that the 1-2 combination was basic to the art of boxing well before he was born.

would you please direct me to some of those fight accounts.

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would you please direct me to some of those fight accounts.

not being a jerk.

just looking for the stuff your talking about.
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677