Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 5:31am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

About my lifting routine ..

Haven't done much MMA training in a while, but lately I've been just hitting the weights and stretching [some cardio and bag work here and there] to stay fit / healthy. Anyways, my main concern is how to split my workouts. As far as core exercises are concerned, I've been doing chest and back [deadlifts] on mondays and thursdays and squatting and overhead pressing on tuesdays and thursdays. I've been getting results but I'm still wondering if there is there a better way for me to split my workouts so that it's more efficient and that I make greater gains. Any suggestions or comments?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Lee
    Haven't done much MMA training in a while, but lately I've been just hitting the weights and stretching [some cardio and bag work here and there] to stay fit / healthy. Anyways, my main concern is how to split my workouts. As far as core exercises are concerned, I've been doing chest and back [deadlifts] on mondays and thursdays and squatting and overhead pressing on tuesdays and thursdays. I've been getting results but I'm still wondering if there is there a better way for me to split my workouts so that it's more efficient and that I make greater gains. Any suggestions or comments?
    you should probably do 1 type of movement a day. ex. either bench or deads, not both. You make better strength gains that way. another thing you could try to do would be to not use the days of the week for your split and just number the days.

here is a good split for you
    day 1-deads
    day 2-bench
    day 3-squats
    day 4-OH presses
    day 5-rest
    repeat.

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are you doing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monday and Thursday
    Chest: Barbell bench. Weighted dips. Incline press.
    Back: Deadlifts. Lat pull downs or DB rows. Seated cable rows. Towel pull-ups / chins.
    Additional: Skullcrushers [recently added them].

Wednesday - Rest

Tuesday and Friday
    Legs: Squat. Lunges.
    Shoulder-related: Overhead [barbell] press, usually seated. Upright rows.
    Additional: DB raises.

Ab training (mondays and thursdays): weighted decline sit-ups. Ab wheel.

Then there's forearms, but I won't get into it. Anyways, I go for around the 5 sets of 3-5 for the main lifts. Usually the other lifts are around 3 sets of 6-8 depending on the exercise. I rest around 1-3 minutes in-between sets for the big four. The rest are 1 - 1 and 1/2 tops.

If I go by the days 1, 2, 3, etc. .. Isn't that too much time for me to rest a bodypart? I mean I'm not even doing any MMA training right now aside from some bagwork. I'm sure I'll be fresh, but anyways thanks for the help so far.

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 1:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems you are doing too much in your Monday and Thursady routine, but then again, what kind of weight are you pushing, what % of max for what reps for how many sets?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go about 75% and keep increasing the percentage as I go deeper into my sets.

So for the bench it'd be 155 for 5-8 [warm up], 175 for 5, 185 for 2x3, 195 for 2. My max is 205, bodyweight 145 if that helps. But yeah, I usually go about trying to go low reps heavy weight and push what I can. I take into consideration the percentages so that I don't burn myself out before the third set, but it's something I haven't sat down and calculated.

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 2:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Lee
    I go about 75% and keep increasing the percentage as I go deeper into my sets.

So for the bench it'd be 155 for 5-8 [warm up], 175 for 5, 185 for 2x3, 195 for 2. My max is 205, bodyweight 145 if that helps. But yeah, I usually go about trying to go low reps heavy weight and push what I can. I take into consideration the percentages so that I don't burn myself out before the third set, but it's something I haven't sat down and calculated.
    If that is the case, you are doing too much for your upper body, look at your chest:

Benching near the max, weighted dips near the max AND incline near the max.

Yet legs, squats and lunges, that's it.

You need quality over quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for the dips and incline press, they're more around 6-8. Sure I go heavy but it's no where near as grueling as the main lift. Same goes for the others. But I suppose you're right. I just do lunges and squats because I'm used to DL'ing the day before. But I guess that stunts gains too. Should I go every other day or with Chupacabra's day scheme. I'm just wondering if I'm holding myself back with bunching [in my case] for example chest / bench and back / DLs together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're talking about the upper body. I'm considering dropping the dips and keeping the incline since it has more priority. And the skullcrushers, despite being an isolation movement, are more than enough for the triceps until I cycle around to dips again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2005 9:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could cut out 75% of that program and make just as good, if not better gains.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast