Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 10:07am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What am I pat, invisible?

BJJ, wrestled in HS, TKD tournies for forms and point fighting (god I hate point fighting) might step into the real ring..... but I'm giving up a lot to a skilled opponent in terms of the whole not seeing punches so well thingy.....

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 10:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competed in a couple of Bjj tourneys two years ago. Competing June 25 at the Carlos Machado tournament. I'll take a pic while I'm there.

Edit: Didn't think it was important, but also four years of high school wrestling. a long, long time ago. I still use some aspects of my wrestling game, especially the takedowns.
    Last edited by jnp; 6/13/2005 1:52pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Tenshi
    What am I pat, invisible?

BJJ, wrestled in HS, TKD tournies for forms and point fighting (god I hate point fighting) might step into the real ring..... but I'm giving up a lot to a skilled opponent in terms of the whole not seeing punches so well thingy.....
    Yes, I hate you!!!! Actually I was pasting on edit forever, now someone can alphabetize it maybe? There must be an easy way...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2005 1:06pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in BJJ/Submission grappling from 1996-1999 and fought in Rage in the Cage in Arizona from 1999-2001. For what itís worth I was the #1 ranked Ritc welterweight during that time period posting a 12-1 record.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 9:27am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SIGH. I've only competed once, in a local amateur rules MMA event. (Amateur to them meant that you had to wear 16 oz. Toughman gloves, which if you shucked off for grappling, then meant you couldn't hit with a closed fist to the head.) I fought a guy a lot lighter than me, and he was more of a grappler than I. He threw Thai kicks to my lead leg, I blocked, and jabbed the stuffing out of his face, walking him backwards. I couldn't knock him out with those damn pillows on, and everytime he took me down I coulda guillotined him, but I couldn't get the damn gloves off, and they got in the way. He armbarred me twice, and even got me in a trangle choke, but with one minute amateur rounds, I just refused to tap and waited the time out and got a draw. Classic striker versus grappler. Had it have been a pro match with light gloves, I would've either have knocked him out, or had to tap or get something broken. Forget about the fact that I kneed him so hard he came off his feet. Afterwards I had cracked ribs and a messed up knee that thank God healed on it's own. (With the help of vitamins and harbs and rest and stretching and exercise.) My opponent sat and held his head afterwards, I think I might've given him a concussion.

I only fought under amateur rule because I was broke, had no medical insurance, the event didn't have fighter's insurance, and there was no prize money, so why risk it with light gloves? My Bullshido conerman/ training partner told me I'd be fighting the local bounty hunter, who sucked, and I ended up fightin the promoter's personal student who was a semi-pro. If I had it to do all over again I would go light gloves. That or gloveless and just rely on palm strikes. After my cornerman stole from me later I told him off and humilated him physically, and he skipped town. I'm still broke, and have no good place to train in this dump of a town, Sioux Falls. There's a new cage-fighting event here in town, but they're a joke, and they let fighters break the rules all the time and do nothing about it. The town is gonna ban it, and the promoter tried to get me and one of my old training buddies to judge, but we want nothing to do with them now. They list that you can't kick or stomp the head while down, and then let fighters get away with after the fight's over, and don't DQ anybody. Their ref is suck a joke he can't even physically seperate girl fighters who are barely a 100 lbs. They're gonna get somebody killed or crippled, and get MMA made illegal here in SD. Not to mention that most of their fighters don't know anything and are just street toughs from a little town.

Right now I'm outta shape bad, and broke, and there's no good place to train here in Sioux Falls, SD. My onetime dreams of getting into MMA or prowrestling have gone down the toilet. RIght now I'd be happy to just fix my life; get in shape, and make some damn money. I'm thinking of selling all my stuff and moving to a big city again just to have oppurtunity to train, but we'll see. Don't take me wrong, not whining or expecting pity or sympathy, just ranting a little to vent. Thanks.

Given the chance to train again, and get in shape, I'd love to compete again. Even though I prefer arts that teach weapons and dirty fighting. My old Bujinkan instructor told me that MMA wasn't real fights because there were rules, weight classes, no weapons, one on one fights, and prior warning. My old JKD teacher told me that my real fights with drunks when I was a bouncer weren't "real" because they were against drunks who didn't know how to fight. I think they were both right.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    6/16/2005 3:57pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I boxed in college and in the army in "smokers" on Ft Bragg, some amatuere NHB, have a few sub wrestling wins, and competed in both the Beltsville Open Judo Championships (took first in my weight division, the 220lb class), and the Virginia State Championship (withdrawn after taking a thumb to the eye that left "something" from the mat in there in the third match).

Just moved to Fredericksburg, where I'll be signing up at Chad LaBrun's "Lab". Expecting a lot more competition in the BJJ/MMA arena through that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2005 10:16pm

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    Just getting back into competition (since college). I missed NAGA due to illness but will be competing in a tournament in the next couple weeks, gi and no-gi.
    I compete in ameatur MMA events, USA Ameatur boxing, and hopefully once I am able to get ranked in BJJ, I can compete in BJJ events.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678