All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:32am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    So now there is something wrong with posting my opinion of what an athlete is?

johnny: If you read my definition it makes more sense, especially considering that I have figure skaters as borderline. I considered making baseball players borderline as well since that sport is very highly skill dependent rather than relying as much on physical attributes.

This in no way is in concrete or anything, people are free to make arguments for those they consider athletes or what their definition is. Really I don't care, this is simply an opinion. Which is why Camus and Jekyll are blinded by their hatred for me which makes them fail to realize that their JR. high level picture makes no sense in the context of the thread rendering them idiots.
    You have an opinion? That's cute. :qcheerlea

Please diagram the bolded sentence and apologize for typing it (although you need not apologize to the fellas - they'll TCB themselves), otherwise, you forever give up the right to call someone an idiot.

Moving on: Your definition of sport seems to have been written by Al Bundy - you think a baseball player is a more worthy athlete then the 'borderline' figureskater? You think basketball is 'very highly skill dependent rather 'than' relying as much on physical attributes' when the vast majority of top-level players of said sport is drawn nearly exclusively from a single body type? In the words of Jack Nicholson, "Sell crazy somplace else - we're all stocked up here"

By the way, it is my considered opinion that writing something up in an article style with a voice-from-authority, leaving it in a public forum with the obvious intention it be read and discussed, then responding to criticism of patently obvious cultural and factual hypocriscy by saying "it's just my opinion" is the very sort of thing we are against here.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, I don't think you can say any athlete is better than the next, but a decathlete can be made for a good argument, although one shortage I find is that they do a lot of events, but the skills required aren't done at the same time, i.e. in basketball you are required to run, jump, change direction, dribble the ball....all at the same time.
    But with running track, all you're doing is running. Yet you still consider them athletes. Think about professional skateboarders then: they have to balance on the board, steer, ollie up onto a bannister and land it, hit a boardslide down a rail, stay balanced throughout, and then land it on the bottom. You need speed obviously, as using your legs to propel the skateboard gets you moving. Not much strength to be honest, but coordination hell yes, otherwise you're falling on the ground. Endurance? Go skateboard for a while at full speed and you'll get a good workout. And obviously it does take some skill since not everyone can ollie, pop-shove it, kickflip, heelflip, or ride vert on a skateboard. Yet they're not athletes?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    I'd have to say combat sports personally: wrestlers, boxers, judoka, MMA, etc.

I'd personally agree, if we're going forward with this thread sans-bunson burners. I think decathletes and triathletes are more conditioned, but you aren't going to find someone with a better mix of strength, speed, endurance, and coordination, both general and sport-specifc, in too many fields.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    But with running track, all you're doing is running. Yet you still consider them athletes. Think about professional skateboarders then: they have to balance on the board, steer, ollie up onto a bannister and land it, hit a boardslide down a rail, stay balanced throughout, and then land it on the bottom. You need speed obviously, as using your legs to propel the skateboard gets you moving. Not much strength to be honest, but coordination hell yes, otherwise you're falling on the ground. Endurance? Go skateboard for a while at full speed and you'll get a good workout. And obviously it does take some skill since not everyone can ollie, pop-shove it, kickflip, heelflip, or ride vert on a skateboard. Yet they're not athletes?
    Oh, NO, and neither are surfers (find me a fat top-level surfer outside of the PI gene pool, which doesn't count against a brother, and I'll owe you a coke). But baseball players are, even though they hit a ball, run a sprint, and stand around for five minutes. If baseball is a 'sport' so is golf or bowling, come on.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 5/22/2005 9:39am at .

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, then IŽll say decathletes who were also spartan hoplites.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:51am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    You have an opinion? That's cute. :qcheerlea

Please diagram the bolded sentence and apologize for typing it (although you need not apologize to the fellas - they'll TCB themselves), otherwise, you forever give up the right to call someone an idiot.

Moving on: Your definition of sport seems to have been written by Al Bundy - you think a baseball player is a more worthy athlete then the 'borderline' figureskater? You think basketball is 'very highly skill dependent rather 'than' relying as much on physical attributes' when the vast majority of top-level players of said sport is drawn nearly exclusively from a single body type? In the words of Jack Nicholson, "Sell crazy somplace else - we're all stocked up here"

By the way, it is my considered opinion that writing something up in an article style with a voice-from-authority, leaving it in a public forum with the obvious intention it be read and discussed, then responding to criticism of patently obvious cultural and factual hypocriscy by saying "it's just my opinion" is the very sort of thing we are against here.
    Read instead of scan, it's ok, it won't hurt you (I said BASEBALL is highly skill dependent etc. NOT basketball). You guys are also focusing on whether a given activity takes any physical attributes rather than many and leave sometimes out competition. Given that definition you could make the arguement that a housewife is an athlete. None of the arguments live up to the definition I gave ( and no, powerlifters 'endurance' doesn't count).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and try this, make an argument for what YOU consider to be an athlete instead of exclusively criticizing mine. I know that leaves you open to criitcism, but it's not that bad. Take a chance once in a while.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say that an athlete is:Someone who competes in a sport using a skill set combined with *stuff*(and any number of other athletic traits) which leads to success in that endeavor.
    :crybaby2:
    Things to note:
    1)This is a semantic discussion which will not contribute anything to anyones training.
    2)Your definition is at least partial self-referential and entirely arbitary.
    3)You then apply this arbitary definition in an inconsistant way to a host of sports in acordance with your personal preducies.
    4)No one cares. I'm just typing this because I should be revising.
    Edit:Added 5) You're only an athlete if you succeed? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and try this, make an argument for what YOU consider to be an athlete instead of exclusively criticizing mine. I know that leaves you open to criitcism, but it's not that bad. Take a chance once in a while.
    Fine then. To me an athlete is somebody who has the traits needed for a particular sport (e.g. strength, endurance, agility, etc.) and trains in that sport with competing against others in mind. Simple, direct, and to the point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, then what would be considered a sport? From that discription a monopoly or poker player could be considered an athlete.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast