Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 2:04am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is an athlete?

I said I would post something on this a few weeks ago but just haven't gotten around to it until now.

Although hard to define I would say that an athlete is: Someone who competes in a sport using a skill set combined with speed, strength, coordination, and endurance (and any number of other athletic traits) which leads to success in that endeavor.

Some I would consider athletes (but not limited to):

MMA fighters/boxers/kickboxers/grapplers, Track and field athletes, highland games, World's strongest man, Basketball Players, football players, baseball players, gymnasts...

Some I think are kind of borderline, hard to classify as athletes, but not exactly NOT athletes(but not limited to):
    Figure skaters, Dancers (ballet, etc)

Not athletes (but not limited to):
    Powerlifters, bodybuilders, golfers, Nascar or any other race car drivers, Surfers, skate boarders, recreational weight lifters, Conan wannabe's, Ninjas, TMA guys (TKD, karate, kung fu, etc).

I'd like to start another conversation as well: Which sport has the best athletes? I ask this because I've seen people say that sport X doesn't have the best athletes for whatever reason. Yet, in my opinion, there is no way to compare one sport to the other because they involve different athletic abilities in varying degrees. There have been literally hundreds of athletic traits identified (not to mention the mental side of sports which is huge, and can make or break even a good athlete) and sports require different degrees of each. So, I say that no sport requires more athleticism than the next due to the those varying qualities.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 2:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 3:16am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You consider highland games guys atheletes, but not powerlifters or figureskaters?

You consider baseball players atheletes but not pro surfers or skateboarders?

You know who I think is a gifted athelete? The drummer from 8 Bucks Experiment. Note how he has better cardio then the singer - this is because he engages in drumming-specific HIIT training, while the singer simply jogs.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 4:19am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    You consider highland games guys atheletes, but not powerlifters or figureskaters?

You consider baseball players atheletes but not pro surfers or skateboarders?

You know who I think is a gifted athelete? The drummer from 8 Bucks Experiment. Note how he has better cardio then the singer - this is because he engages in drumming-specific HIIT training, while the singer simply jogs.
    I was wondering the same thing myself. Calling dancers not exactly athletes too is a slap to the face to all of them, as it demands "speed, strength, coordination, and endurance" as she says they need. My girlfriend is a dancer, been dancing for many years now, and just dancing, yoga, and Pilates has kept her in awesome shape. Male dancers are strong too, you ever see one of those guys pick up a woman into the air and hold her there and make it look easy? Your average Joe on the street would be hard-pressed to try that out.

And hell yes powerlifters are athletes. That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They fit your exact definition: "Someone who competes in a sport using a skill set combined with speed, strength, coordination, and endurance (and any number of other athletic traits) which leads to success in that endeavor." They need the speed to lock out a heavy bench, strength is a no-brainer there, coordination for perfect form. Endurance is probably the least for them, but still considering how they train they do have some degree of endurance as far as their lifts (e.g. doing multiple sets of low, all-out reps), mostly of the strength-endurance type. And obviously they have sport-specific skills. So how are they NOT athletes? :tard:

It's also funny that she tries taking a stab at AM and me in that as well, but then also gives props to boxers and strongmen right before. :glasses1:
    Last edited by VikingPower; 5/22/2005 9:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So now there is something wrong with posting my opinion of what an athlete is?

johnny: If you read my definition it makes more sense, especially considering that I have figure skaters as borderline. I considered making baseball players borderline as well since that sport is very highly skill dependent rather than relying as much on physical attributes.

This in no way is in concrete or anything, people are free to make arguments for those they consider athletes or what their definition is. Really I don't care, this is simply an opinion. Which is why Camus and Jekyll are blinded by their hatred for me which makes them fail to realize that their JR. high level picture makes no sense in the context of the thread rendering them idiots.

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    Which sport has the best athletes?

Hum, decathlon?

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    So now there is something wrong with posting my opinion of what an athlete is?
    You posted your own definition, then went against it and called people who possess the same traits you say dictates an athletes, were not athletes. I'm just trying to make sense of your ridiculous comments :qbluepira

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Hum, decathlon?
    I'd have to say combat sports personally: wrestlers, boxers, judoka, MMA, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, I don't think you can say any athlete is better than the next, but a decathlete can be made for a good argument, although one shortage I find is that they do a lot of events, but the skills required aren't done at the same time, i.e. in basketball you are required to run, jump, change direction, dribble the ball....all at the same time.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast