Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 3:23pm

Style: Five Animal KF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've studied differerent styles of jujitsu, kung fu, kenpo and other arts. Animal forms have always been a favorite of mine. I am not so parochial as to not see the need for felling and grappling skills and I have worked hard on these, but I always return to my first love. I enjoy watching animals and making up forms as to how they defend, attack, and fight. I am currently trying to find footage of an animal called the fossa, so I can imitate its style. Over the years of putting information together I developed my own kung fu style and got a Founder Certificate from one of the associations I belong to. It was never intended to be the "ultimate system" or to impress anyone. I only share it with people who show an interest, I trust, and want some information. I just enjoyed putting it together.

If someone wants to spend their whole time training in something established, that's great. Martial arts are dead serious, but there should be a little enjoyment in being creative with something new if someone wants to. Now, if someone said that their created system was the ONLY system and all others were junk, I'd have a problem with that. The Gracies have shown what creative minds can do when people go outside the box and see a way to build a "better mousetrap". Humans always want to look for ways to either improve things or just change things for the sake of their own pleasure.
    Last edited by Won Dom Fok; 5/22/2005 3:49pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 3:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    You know what happens when people make their own styles? Shorthand Empty Hand happens. And that makes the Baby Mas Oyama cry.
    No this is what happens when A BS guy makes his own style ala AK.

Yeah there may be a lot but, if no one synthesized there own we would all be doing the same thing. There would be no GJJ, JKD, EPAK, Submission wrestling, MMA, or Kyukoshin. Just to name a few popular ones.

This is one of those questions you can't ask when you are upset. MA has to evolve, also, it should be accessible to anyone. As long as you don't have a 6 year old thinking he is an ass kicker outside of his age group. I don't agree with overly young BB but, they do bring in the money. :biggrin:

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    That being said lets keep our attacks on self-proclaimed masters and anyone who may have knowledge in the arts that's questionable . So say we all.
    And how does that contradict what I said, dickhead?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was trying to agree with you. :qleft4: **** for brains.

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I really shouldn´t post while watching TV. And my english is getting rustier everyday, along with my reading comprehension. Please, accdept this puppy as a tokken, along with an apology :XXdog:

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Sorry, I really shouldn´t post while watching TV. And my english is getting rustier everyday, along with my reading comprehension. Please, accdept this puppy as a tokken, along with an apology :XXdog:
    No don't worry.Besies my english is not that perfect.Thanks in part to a french immersion law in my home province.That's why I don't use fancy words to try to describe anything.

An appology is not needed.I'm not mad because I know how hot tempered you Latins are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 10:21pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    This is a very superficial analysis. I´ve heard of one guy in Brazil who competes at regular BJJ tournaments and is quite succesful. He lacks one arm. I have no further information, so I can´t provide a link. I´ve heard that story from the former BJJ instructor in my gym while I and a kickboxing mate were talking to him about this friend my mate has who had a physicall disability which I cannot remmeber, but let him almost in a wheelchair. One of his legas was totally useless, and his muscles were weak, he needed lots of rehabilitation. My mate was trying to convince him to join a sport to gain strenght and self-confidence, and thought that BJJ may suit him. Teh BJJ instructor strongly encouraged him to take one day his friend and give it a try.

I think most styles can adapt themselves to individuals. Heck, I´m going to say that the individual should adapt the style to his own characteristics. People with physicall disbilities need, perhaps, to do so more than people without them.

Still, I get your point and where you want to go.
    This is very very true. I can't speak for other arts but on my little brothers wrestling team there was a guy with 1 leg, his Sr. year he had an outstanding varsity record (went to the state tourney, didn't win). Another fellow I personally wrestled was blind, he took a point deduction and started in the down position and was extremely good although limited.

Assuming a person can't do something because they have certain physical limitations is just ignorant. They might very well be able to do it and have the dedication to be better at it then you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 12:23pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went into this gym that is called Robinson's Black Belt Academy and thought he was teaching all kinds of stuff like TKD and Judo and all that. But it turns out he claims he is a 5th dan in Tang Soo Do and he is really fat. I couldnt see him doing any spectacular techniques and his black belt instructors are under 14 years of age!!! His INSTRUCTORS! One is a 3rd dan. All they do is do crappy warm ups to techno music and talk about joining the XMA and when they spar its touch point crap. He was bragging about his "national champion" little girls to me and kept saying bad things about my art. Like "Well thats the limitations of your art blah blah" which was crap. He went on about some horrible way to defend against a knife and no one even practiced it they just watched.

Anyway his style is called Tae Bak Do. he says its a mix of Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do. Those 2 styles are practically the same! How can you come out with another art thats suppossed to be different? The guys a joke and he teaches XMA style forms that are all flash and none of his black belt students could even make them look decent and he was trying to impress me with them.

I dont think you should be able to create a new martial art unless you are at least a grandmaster in one art and high ranking in another or more arts and the organization you are currently with gives you the blessing to do this!! Or high ranking officials in the organization you are friends with allow you to do it. Then you should tell people exactly how you changed an art and why you did it and the history of your training. Also you have to actually be good.

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 1:21pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Andrew there is a place like that in my city too. The guy created a new style and has teenage instructors who are all extemely high ranked (like 4th dans). It's basically a baby sitting place. I talked to a guy once about places like that and he said something very interesting. He said most states have laws concerning day care facilities, like how many kids per adult, how many square feet per kid etc. He said if the place is a martial arts school those laws DO NOT apply. It's like a loophole in the law. If I had a day care place and like 50 kids and one or two teens watching them I would be shut down, fined, possibly jailed. But if I put the words 'Martial Arts' on the door and the kids 'earned' belts, it's all legal. It's rediculous.

Another scary thing is to get a child care liscense a background check is required. If I open (or work at) a martial arts school I am not required to get one by law. You wonder why you hear of child molesters and martial arts more often than you should.
    Last edited by 1bad65; 5/23/2005 1:39pm at .

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 1:28pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from an IM conversation with Reikon, and sums up my opinion on changing styles and new styles.

There is a basic human drive to create. But I feel it is better to adapt a proven system, add your own touches toit, and say that is what you have done, rather than claim a completely new system. It is what Granville did, what my instructor did, and what I am doing. Aikido was the foundation, but we adapted it to our own styles and that is what we pass on, and I hope one day, my students will change, adapt and enhance it when they pass it on.
    [
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123