Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 5:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good one CKK,

A 50 year old student may not be able to do what a 6 year old student can do; however, he or she can and will still learn and reach the level of Black Belt. Also, we work with many students with physical limitations; therefore, the style is modified so that the student can still reach their goal of Black Belt.
    Yeah, lets create our own style so we can justify giving black belts to 6 year olds, 50 year olds and people with physical limitations. In other words we can fucking water our **** down as much as possible and nobody can tell us what to do or where to draw the line!

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks alot.I've actually been wanting to create a tread about these guys in the Sport-karate world.Just go check for yourselfs people.You will find many who do the same as Don "fatso" Rodrigues.He's not unique.It's the only world where you will find 20 years old with 3 rd or 4th Dan's.Usually ,because there the son's and daughters of self-proclaimed karate Master's.

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 9:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    Yeah, lets create our own style so we can justify giving black belts to 6 year olds, 50 year olds and people with physical limitations. In other words we can fucking water our **** down as much as possible and nobody can tell us what to do or where to draw the line!
    This is a very superficial analysis. Ive heard of one guy in Brazil who competes at regular BJJ tournaments and is quite succesful. He lacks one arm. I have no further information, so I cant provide a link. Ive heard that story from the former BJJ instructor in my gym while I and a kickboxing mate were talking to him about this friend my mate has who had a physicall disability which I cannot remmeber, but let him almost in a wheelchair. One of his legas was totally useless, and his muscles were weak, he needed lots of rehabilitation. My mate was trying to convince him to join a sport to gain strenght and self-confidence, and thought that BJJ may suit him. Teh BJJ instructor strongly encouraged him to take one day his friend and give it a try.

I think most styles can adapt themselves to individuals. Heck, Im going to say that the individual should adapt the style to his own characteristics. People with physicall disbilities need, perhaps, to do so more than people without them.

Still, I get your point and where you want to go.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the counter argument would be that an instructor teaching his own style can tailor the goals of training to each individual student. a young healthy male might end up with the training he would expect before getting his blackbelt, the 6 year old might get what suits him, the 50 year old gets what a 50 year old can handle, the handicapped students get what challenges them suitably, etc.

i ain't sayin it's happening, mind you. just that it bears consideration. it's a matter of what importance and meaning you assign to a black belt.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 12:47am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DubhGhaill
    If you learn how to box at "Al's Gym", and then you open your own place, does your gym have to be called "Al's Gym" too?

It's immoral to keep teaching it in the same order if you know it could be done a better way.
    No, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to maybe have a picture of Al around someplace, and tell people you learned from Al. It'd be kind of shitty to take what all taught you, and claim it for your own.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And those are great points guys. Any good instructor should be able to tailor towards the needs of the individual. However, Oki-ryu is just too easy to pick on: I.e.

its OKI if you are 6: you can still have a blackbelt
    its OKI if you are 50: so can you
    its OKI if you are handicapped: here try one one...

anyways, joking aside: just because the instructor tailors the needs to his students, does that mean he should make up a whole new name for his style?

How much synthesis is really going on when ppl claim to have black belts in x number of styles?

Why are there a thousand Karate styles out there, 5 kabillion TKD, 6 megatrillion kung fu schools and only a few of variations on Kickboxing (muay thai, american, french)?

What I'm getting at is that instructors are making things too complicated, by making up a new name for their style for marketing purposes. They are trying to make ppl think that they have somehow created some new way of kicking ass when, guess what? its all been fucking done before. I have a hard time believing that they have somehow conceived of even a new concept, principle, technique, motto, credo, philosophy or anything that is remotely close to original.

There I'm done, I feel better now.

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, I understood youre point and where you wanted to get, as shown in your post.

Still, I wanted to point out that everybody need to tailor the style to his physical atributes. Does heavywieght boxers and lightweight boxers fight exactly the same? No. Still they have the same style.

I also wanted to point out that physically disabled people can perfomr good at fighting, altrough they are at disavantage and probably need extra effort, that is all.

That said, one of the purposes of this site is to fight those who make themselves master of something "new" when they create an art who is exactly the same they been taught. It has to do with the "fighting frauds" part.

And I also agree with you, I found it hard to beleive that people with a zillion black belst in a zillion MAs have at least a minumun grasp of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 2:25pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    50 year olds and people with physical limitations. In other words we can fucking water our **** down as much as possible and nobody can tell us what to do or where to draw the line!
    I agree with you about 6 year olds, but I think you're being too harsh on the handicapped and the middle-aged.
    I've met 50 year old guys who could calmly beat the crap out of the average 20 year old, and I once met an _awesome_ blind judoka.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    That said, one of the purposes of this site is to fight those who make themselves master of something "new" when they create an art who is exactly the same they been taught. It has to do with the "fighting frauds" part.
    That being said lets keep our attacks on self-proclaimed masters and anyone who may have knowledge in the arts that's questionable . So say we all.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what happens when people make their own styles? Shorthand Empty Hand happens. And that makes the Baby Mas Oyama cry.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast