Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 2:00pm

Style: Capoeira & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio Capoeira

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...video&n=507846

I was checking stuff out and I found a post that mentioned "Cardio Capoeira". Here is what the actor has to say on Amazon:

"Carla Ribeira

Description
    Learn this great self defence art of the Brazilian slaves from the early 1800’s. Cardio Capoeira is sometimes referered to “F lashdance” workout, as it not only will get you “ fighting fit ” , but you will have a great time doing it.

This workout is aimed at those who want to get inn the best shape of their lives and look like the men and women of Copacabana Beach.

One of the greart things about Cardio Capoeira is the sensational and energetic Capoeira music. You will love it!!!

So put on your workout gear and have some fun while learning Brazil’s only true martial art."

What the hell is that? First of all... Capoeira was around way before the 1800's, if I recall correctly it's been around for about five hundred years now. She doesn't even mention which style of Capoeira she is talking about, Regional isn't even 100 years old yet.

Flash dance? Right... if she's talking about old Capoeira (Angola) then it has no flash. The acrobatics part is new. It's Regional. Angola dancing was more of a Samba, not flips. The fanciest thing in Angola is probably the ginga.

Fighting fit? I usually take it as hard as I can in my Capoeira class and we tend to focus on conditioning during a lot of the classes (especially recently). It's still not enough to get you in the best shape of your life. I still have to run and lift weights.

Energetic and sensational music... I'll give her that, the music always adds fun and energy. I doubt she has any actual Capoeira instruments in it though.

Last but not least... Capoeira isn't really Brazilian. It originated in Angola Africa. And Brazil does have two native martial arts. Vale Tudo and some other one I can't remember the name of (not BJJ).

I still haven't watched the video and I'm not willing to pay for it. Hopefully a friend will accidently buy it (and return it) so I can watch it and give the video itself a review. Amazon has a review on it but I don't know if I can copy it or not.

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This the stuff Dustin Hoffman's character in Meet the Fokkers does?

Bernie Focker - "This is capoeira, man. This is some hardcore ****." :toothy5:
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep.
    Recent movies it's been in:
    Catwoman - Halley Berry
    Ocean's 12 - The Italian/French guy
    Meet the Fockers - Dustin Hoffman (?)

Recent games:
    Catwoman
    Tekken 3 - 5
    (Another one is coming out soon, can't remeber the name of it)

It's also been on a lot of commercials recently. A Nike one, that new Donkey Kong game, and a Fitness TV one.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's probably just as good as cardio kickboxing or combat yoga or commando clog danceing - ie a light to decent cardio workout for soccer moms.

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Say what you want about capoiera, but it's the only art I've seen where every single person is in great shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "It's probably just as good as cardio kickboxing or combat yoga or commando clog danceing - ie a light to decent cardio workout for soccer moms."

- I don't mind doing Capoeira for excersize... I don't mind any of that stuff. But what she says about Capoeira is wrong and I'm sure that she "teaches" how to do things incorrectly. I'll look up pictures (and hopefully a video clip) in a bit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn't claiming anything but better looks I haven't got a problem.

You also haven't seen the vid you can't be sure of what she is teaching. Also, just like every art there are variations.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/20/2005 5:29pm at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one of the Cardio Capoeria tapes. It SUCKS its just a cute chick swaying back and forth in a fucked up ginga, at times she trys to get funky with it, and it cuts to clips of guys doing a roda. Its absolutely worthless.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 5:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, the little I know it was African slaves but it was developed in Brazil.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it didn't. There's no Capoeira in Angola.
    I'm sure I read before that it was made in Angola Africa and then evolved in Brazil. I can't find any sources backing that up so... I'll stand corrected until I find a good source.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast