Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside, I believe there was some Japanese wrestler that walked into a Rickson school to challenge them, his face was all jacked up when they photographed him walking out.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 7:15pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    I don't study there but I think you are being harsh.

1) Did you participate in class?
    No I didn't participate in the class. To do that I'd have had to sign-up (pay $$$) to attend a fix number of classes (minimum 3).

2) Did you talk with the instructor?
    No I didn't really talk to the instructor.

3) Did you find out if it was a beginner class?
    I know that they had the class broken into 2 groups: beginner and advanced. The advanced group was the one I passed judgement on.

4) Have you ever been to a Mcdojo?
    When I was 12 I did one-year of Zen Do Kai karate-do (as it was then called):
    http://www.zendokai.com.au/ZDK/index.htm

Its all over Australia and has 100s of suburban clubs. The instructor could kick some ass though, but there really wasn't much to it.

Many Mcdojo's have multiple instructors (just like the school that started this topic).

I think it is funny you went to a school to look at BJJ and passed judgment on the whole school.
    The head of the place was the instructor at the time. What I saw was Krav Maga, their 'core system', not BJJ. I didn't hang around long enough to see BJJ.

My opinion was formed by seeing:
    1. bad/dangerous techniques taught
    2. simple MA stuff taught but not taught with resistance
    3. no sparring
    4. little physical or mental intensity to the training
    5. looked like they focused on training 'normal people' (i.e. non-MAers) to fight less-trained/conditioned people in 'street situdations'. I have had a lot of this kind of crap from ZDK... it really does open up possibilities of coming up with 100s of bullshit scenarios and multiple opponent demos.

Now I'm not saying the whole place is crap. Just that it wasn't for me. It'd be a good place for an older person (perhaps mid-forties) that didn't want to do much exercise, but wanted to have more of a seminar and arm-chair experience. I was looking for the opportunity to learn grappling by learning some concepts but lots of sparring, and with a focus on physical conditioning.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 9:16pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blah blah blah.

How old are you?

Please also list why your opinion should matter.

It's easy to call bullshido. Prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    No I didn't participate in the class. To do that I'd have had to sign-up (pay $$$) to attend a fix number of classes (minimum 3).

I know that they had the class broken into 2 groups: beginner and advanced. The advanced group was the one I passed judgement on.

Its all over Australia and has 100s of suburban clubs. The instructor could kick some ass though, but there really wasn't much to it.

The head of the place was the instructor at the time. What I saw was Krav Maga, their 'core system', not BJJ. I didn't hang around long enough to see BJJ.

3. no sparring
    5. looked like they focused on training 'normal people' (i.e. non-MAers) to fight less-trained/conditioned people in 'street situdations'. I have had a lot of this kind of crap from ZDK... it really does open up possibilities of coming up with 100s of bullshit scenarios and multiple opponent demos.

Now I'm not saying the whole place is crap. Just that it wasn't for me. It'd be a good place for an older person (perhaps mid-forties) that didn't want to do much exercise, but wanted to have more of a seminar and arm-chair experience. I was looking for the opportunity to learn grappling by learning some concepts but lots of sparring, and with a focus on physical conditioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 9:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, again you went in for grappling and are still passing judgment on the entire school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 9:37pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, on this site http://www.gracieacademy.com/academy/pricing.shtml you can see what the Gracies charge for all their classes. Like 176.00 for 2x a week or 186.00 for unlimited training. If the Gracies only charge that much, how does a purple belt get off charging only slightly less for what is probably far less quality training?

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/30/2005 2:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit man just fins another school.

Try and find another BJJ school or at least its cheaper alternative - Judo.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    5/30/2005 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wish someone would open up a quality fucking school that was closer than 30 minutes away from my house.
    You answered your own question.
    He has the market to himself, and can charge whatever the hell he wants.

There is no law, there isn't even a rule. Charge what people will pay.
    If he has enough students while charging that much money as a purple belt, then he isn't Bullshido, he's the MAN.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2005 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Blah blah blah.

How old are you?

Please also list why your opinion should matter.

It's easy to call bullshido. Prove it.
    ****... he asked so I responded. Easy enough for ya or dont you read the whole thread before responding?

I didn't call bullshido - I've said 'perhaps I'm being a bit harsh' and 'it was light recreational martial arts'. Again, read boy, read.

I don't have to prove jackshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2005 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, again you went in for grappling and are still passing judgment on the entire school.
    Yep... they were all there training so I passed judgement on them. I've been doing MA for many years, run my own club for 3. My opinion was that I wasn't gonna pay for what they were doing. So I left.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?

3. no sparring

Having met and rolled with Rylan you have no earthly clue on how good he is! He's a Brown belt by the way not a purple belt, and he is a stud! Look on the web and you'll also find he was an awesome Wrestler in Hawaii.

He weighs around 180-190 and feels like 400 lbs when he rolls. Dude has got an awesome game. One of the tightest guards/half guards I've ever seen. He can attack from any position.

He is under Pedro Sauer via Rickson Gracie, who I think we can all agree is one of the best instructors in the world! As far as cost, I know of some gyms in Portland Oregon that are double that!

Just word to the wise, maybe try a class, and see what it really is before you bash it and the entire school. I would bet that if you rolled with him or even sat it on a class you'd see that he is more than quailified to instruct BJJ classes anywhere in the world!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast