Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 11:56am

Style: BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay 185 per month. I can train 7 days a week twice a day if I want to and 2 different locations. There are 4 Renzo Gracie black belts at my academy.

They put out good fighters as well as compete themselves in the UFC/KOTC/ROC. I would gladly pay more for this quality of instruction.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** that's a lot. I couldn't afford that much. :(

PL

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 1:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Student
    you said you checked it out because they offer BJJ, but then did not stick around to see the BJJ??
    And the BJJ was taught by someone from John Will's school. John Will is a Machado BB who was one of the first non-Brazilians to get a BJJ BB. You don't judge a BJJ class on the basis of how someone else teaches a different class under the same roof.
    Last edited by DuckofDeath; 5/29/2005 1:57pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 2:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    Ok I'll post this here cos it could be considered a sign of things to come. I checked out this place last week:
    http://www.sdtactics.com.au/

Because they offer BJJ:
    http://www.sdtactics.com.au/html/sys...jiu_jitsu.html

They are affiliated with John Wills. Now I'm not saying anything about him or his school whatsoever.... but this place was a real worry.

When I got there it was very low intensity training with a bunch of people doing silly things together. e.g. block-punch drills against a single jab with no follow up.... very beginner type MA. No-one was working hard... it seemed to be more to get the idea of it than anything. I didn't see a single person there that seemed to be good at MA in terms of how they moved or threw a punch or kick or blocked etc etc. Then they pulled out a weak knife defense: push the knife up with the palm of your hard (towards your head, chest etc) and kick the knee. A very dangerous thing to do: if you push a knife upwards your now open to either a stab to the chest or a cut to the hand during the push if the person retracts the knife. After that I left... I didn't hang around for the BJJ because of the light-recreational-MA nature of the club.

If people feel that I'm being overly harsh to this club (cos they actually go there) then let us know.
    I don't study there but I think you are being harsh.

1) Did you participate in class?
    2) Did you talk with the instructor?
    3) Did you find out if it was a beginner class?
    4) Have you ever been to a Mcdojo?

Many Mcdojo's have multiple instructors (just like the school that started this topic).

I think it is funny you went to a school to look at BJJ and passed judgment on the whole school.

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 2:34pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We established a long time ago that it's not the price, but the price to quality of instruction ratio, that is one of the marks of a McDojo.

We've also established that "fat" doesn't always correlate with conditioning.

The primary criteria for being a McDojo is that you teach Bullshido, or garbage martial arts.

It's just that so many of those who teach crappy fighting skills happen to be out of shape, and unable to pull off anything remotely athletic, which undermines their credibility. Obviously not everyone's going to be Helio Gracie. But if you're in your 20's-30's and are teaching someone how to defend themselves, there is a certain expectation of the levels of fitness which you should be at.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    Sure. Does that mean that fat black belts from styles other than BJJ get a pass now ?
    Sure, if they can go actually kick ass.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 3:06pm

Style: TKD Green Stripe/karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doe's not work to good on the street. When you get 2 or more people against you. You be better off running.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey bro... you **** rocks?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 4:08pm

Style: Taekwondo-Bjj-mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ehm,makes me kind of wonder..Is it a bad thing to train under a blue bellt?
    (its not so strange if you think that BJJ only has 3 blackbelts in the netherlands and their schools are CaduBJJ,gracie Bara and Rickson gracie JJ)
    but still makes me wonder,is a blue bellt to low to teach?

(I think the school is to expensive,but thats also because america is just really expansive if it comes to MA,i pay 23 dollars a month for 3 lessons a week,30 dollars is kind of max,orelse you are labelt expansive,you cant make a living from teaching MA here)
    Like Bas Rutten said: here(in America) you can charge people 200 dollars for training Bas rutten style(or seminars even?)in the netherlands you can charge 35+- dollars or else people wont come...

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    Gracie BJJ to be exact.

Anyways It was a total fucking McDojo. I won't go into great detail, but it was.

I came in, said hello, and asked how much BJJ was a month. you would have though I asked a question about brain surgery.all I wanted to know was how much BJJ was not anything else, not what was included with it not anything. all i wanted to know was how much it would cost me to come and roll with people 2 or three times a week, that's all. After about 2 or three minutes of me not paying attention to what the guy was saying he finally said $125 a month.

Now.......
    The classes are 1 hour long
    offered 3 times a week
    and the ONLY instructor at the school is a purple.

Then on top of all that, in order to take even an introductory class, you have to go through some orientation.... no thank you.

I really want to go back to my old school but coming home at 10:00 on nights that I have to wake up at 5:00 to go to work isn't going to cut it......

Guess I'm screwed.

Oh well, just thought I'd share. To bad bjj is starting down that slippery slope, I guess it was inevitable though.

I just wish someone would open up a quality fucking school that was closer than 30 minutes away from my house.
    Why didn't you challenge the instructor? As far as I know, all Gracie schools have an open door challenge.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast