Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 8:25pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    And hey, look, an Abu Dhabi Competitor, 8 Times Brazilian Champion, 4 Time Pan Am Champion and 2 Time World Championship Medalist ! (Otavio "Tata" Duarte)

I would have to say wc boy got owned with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 10:27pm

Style: _ing _un*ducks*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

my 1/50th of a dollar?

Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    I know what Chupa is getting at.

Look at the Lloyd Irvin programme:

If you took out all the references to BJJ and all the names - most people would think "First Class McDojo". It's all there - the Black Belt Club, the ranks within ranks, the Little Ninjas class, the accelerated promotion scheme and so on.

But because of the BJJ link, and the presence of a lot of proven fighters, there is the tendancy to want to look over all that.

I have no doubt that the Lloyd Irvin school is a good one, but the presentation is very much in line with a great many other martial arts schools in the world, some good - but most bad.
    It sounds really expensive when i look at the converted rates of currency, and going by the opinions of alot of the north american people its probably at the top end of the scale for price there. That being said (and I'm trying desperately to avoid the nutrider tag), BJJ has produced the goods for years in the ring. They do a great job negating strikers, hell I've been PWNED myself. It's a great art, especially considering smaller people can get taken to the ground by a much larger person and control them with comparively little GOOD instruction and training.
    If they send people out the door with the skills to REALLY look after themselves, it has to be a good thing.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as a little upadte and clarification as to why I started this thread,

Basically I was training at a school that was run by a BB for half of what this place was charging before I went back to school last semester. classes were at least two hours long twice a day 4 days a week and once on saturday. I would go back but I am 45 minutes away from the school and the classes didn't end until 9:30 every night so that would put me getting home after 10 leaving just enough time to eat and fall asleep. I also work from 8-5 and have an hour commute both ways. so that left no time to spend with my wife or breath or do anything.

I just thought $125 was a bit to much. And the school looked and smelled very mcdojoie.
    nothing more nothing less.

It doesn't matter anyway, BJJ doesn't work on teh street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 8:00pm

Style: _ing _un*ducks*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    Just as a little upadte and clarification as to why I started this thread,

Basically I was training at a school that was run by a BB for half of what this place was charging before I went back to school last semester. classes were at least two hours long twice a day 4 days a week and once on saturday. I would go back but I am 45 minutes away from the school and the classes didn't end until 9:30 every night so that would put me getting home after 10 leaving just enough time to eat and fall asleep. I also work from 8-5 and have an hour commute both ways. so that left no time to spend with my wife or breath or do anything.

I just thought $125 was a bit to much. And the school looked and smelled very mcdojoie.
    nothing more nothing less.

It doesn't matter anyway, BJJ doesn't work on teh street.

when you put it that way, it really does suck (in terms of access) compared to what you used to have easy access to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2005 3:31pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    And hey, look, a fat BJJ black belt ! (Otavio "Tata" Duarte)
    Tata had a seminar at my school a couple months ago. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to attend, but I watched him roll for awhile and I can garuntee you he would **** your **** up without breaking a sweat.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/28/2005 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The art shouldn't have an impact, only the required training supplies. Judo is very cheap, I imagine because all that is needed is a matted floor and an instructor. Shouldn't BJJ be the same? The price is high because it's in high demand.

That given, Rylan Lizares (4th degree purple under Pedro Sauer) teaches near my college for about $25 a month. No fucking excuse for being greedy.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2005 3:57pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    That given, Rylan Lizares (4th degree purple under Pedro Sauer) teaches near my college for about $25 a month. No fucking excuse for being greedy.
    Where does he teach? What's rent like in Portland? How many a classes a week does he offer? What's he do for a living?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/28/2005 4:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Where does he teach? What's rent like in Portland? How many a classes a week does he offer? What's he do for a living?
    He teaches at Oregon Pound, they have both BJJ and TKD included in the fee. BJJ classes are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, and are 2 hours I think. He doesn't teach in portland, he teaches in corvallis. Rent here (for what you get) is **** becuase they take advantage of college students needing the space and having no alternatives.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 6:01am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I'll post this here cos it could be considered a sign of things to come. I checked out this place last week:
    http://www.sdtactics.com.au/

Because they offer BJJ:
    http://www.sdtactics.com.au/html/sys...jiu_jitsu.html

They are affiliated with John Wills. Now I'm not saying anything about him or his school whatsoever.... but this place was a real worry.

When I got there it was very low intensity training with a bunch of people doing silly things together. e.g. block-punch drills against a single jab with no follow up.... very beginner type MA. No-one was working hard... it seemed to be more to get the idea of it than anything. I didn't see a single person there that seemed to be good at MA in terms of how they moved or threw a punch or kick or blocked etc etc. Then they pulled out a weak knife defense: push the knife up with the palm of your hard (towards your head, chest etc) and kick the knee. A very dangerous thing to do: if you push a knife upwards your now open to either a stab to the chest or a cut to the hand during the push if the person retracts the knife. After that I left... I didn't hang around for the BJJ because of the light-recreational-MA nature of the club.

If people feel that I'm being overly harsh to this club (cos they actually go there) then let us know.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2005 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you said you checked it out because they offer BJJ, but then did not stick around to see the BJJ??
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast