Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 6:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    Hey, I'm sure he's a great guy. It's just that he has 3 chins, and I thought BJJ was strong on conditioning.
    I've seen some great judo fighters that look like fat bloke down the pub. In fact, they are fat bloke down the pub - they've just been training for years in between.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 7:05am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    I've seen some great judo fighters that look like fat bloke down the pub. In fact, they are fat bloke down the pub - they've just been training for years in between.
    Sure. Does that mean that fat black belts from styles other than BJJ get a pass now ?

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. Does that mean that fat black belts from styles other than BJJ get a pass now ?
    Just in case this was a serious question, and not some bitter rhetorical question hidden in a weak derailment of a thread... no one gets a pass, regardless of style. Exceptions, however, do exist in any style. I would recommend the litmus test of "can they do what they say they can and what they teach?" Look at his record, his students, and his life's work. Judge the man by the content of his character and the quality of his MA, not by what you think he should look like.

You seem a bit defensive; were you a bit of a chunky butt in grade school? I mean, I can relate; when I was a kid I had to wear jeans that were labelled "Husky". :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:51am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    Just in case this was a serious question, and not some bitter rhetorical question hidden in a weak derailment of a thread... no one gets a pass, regardless of style. Exceptions, however, do exist in any style. I would recommend the litmus test of "can they do what they say they can and what they teach?" Look at his record, his students, and his life's work. Judge the man by the content of his character and the quality of his MA, not by what you think he should look like.

You seem a bit defensive; were you a bit of a chunky butt in grade school? I mean, I can relate; when I was a kid I had to wear jeans that were labelled "Husky". :-)
    No, as the thread was about whether or not a BJJ school was a McDojo, I was pointing out that, as with many McDojos, the site had a picture of a fat blackbelt, which normally produces howls of laughter when the potential McDojo in question happens to be teaching a different MA. No checking of background is usually done before this happens.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This fat bloke gets FREE judo and ground training. My sensei chokes me and locks me out for FUN!

All I have to do is punch and kick him in the teeth a couple times and he reverts back to judo and wrestling and beats me up. Dern wrestlers.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, as the thread was about whether or not a BJJ school was a McDojo, I was pointing out that, as with many McDojos, the site had a picture of a fat blackbelt, which normally produces howls of laughter when the potential McDojo in question happens to be teaching a different MA. No checking of background is usually done before this happens.
    I would argue that everyone here would retract howls of laughter for anyone shown to be legit. He just happens to be legit, and known. You see, while we work with the assumption that black belt portliness is a bad thing, we allow results to speak for themselves. The problem comes from portly black belts who have no accomplishments to show, from lack of effort or lack of skill. This is especially true for anyone with the responsibility for teaching martial arts, you know with all that fighting stuff. Though to prevent thread derailment, I will concede that you think differently and defer the last word to you. Feel free to start a thread on this if you would really like to discuss it. There are likely a good number of opinions on the matter on this board.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 12:38pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My children's BJJ Maestre.

http://bjj.org/a/people/valente-carlos.html

I'd like to hear you say he's a fat overweight guy to his face. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 6:29pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And hey, look, a fat BJJ black belt ! (Otavio "Tata" Duarte)
    And hey, look, an Abu Dhabi Competitor, 8 Times Brazilian Champion, 4 Time Pan Am Champion and 2 Time World Championship Medalist ! (Otavio "Tata" Duarte)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats too expensive I wouldn't pay it. I only pay $50 a month Canadian for Muay Thai & MMA offered 7 days a week. When I hear some of the prices others places are charging I can't believe it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 7:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No it isn't about a BJJ school being a Mcdojo. It is about BJJ in a Mcdojo school. It morphed into BJJ becoming Mcdojoized.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    I was making a generalization, and in case you didn't notice I didn't go into a lot of detail about the school. It's not a school that is ran by a BJJ purple belt, it's a fucking mcdojo that offers BJJ.
    To me this was bound to happen. Think of any of the fad MA that suddenly showed up at the local Mcdojo. Ninjitsu, Tae-Bo, Cardio Kickboxing, NHB, it was all suddenly taught by every instructor across the US.

BJJ has resisted this quite well IMO. The only downside is that lower and lower ranks may try to instruct. Unlike Tae Bo, Cardio Kick boxing, etc., at least it is an actual BJJ teacher. Not someone who took a seminar for a weekend.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast