Posted On:
    5/20/2005 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra
    I was making a generalization
    Which is exactly the problem. You are trying to draw conclusions based on your anecdotal experience.

they "slippery slope" to which I am reffereing has nothing to do with the quality of the art, but it has everything to do with the overcommercialization and money eventually becoming king over quality instruction.
    Supply & demand determine the price of instruction. It has nothing to do with "Mcdojoization." If the guy is a shitty instructor, people are going to find out & he is going to lose students. If not, then those students deserve to get ripped off.

So what does all that mean?
    absolutely fucking nothing, I was just bitching about a school
    Well, thanks for clearing that up.

oh,
    In case no one has told you yet,
    stfu noob, no one told you to post in my thread.
    When I start giving a **** about what you think about me posting on "your" threads, I'll be sure to PM you immediately.

Chemist

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of BJJ in the Atlanta area, off the top of my head Alliance, Tiger, Renzo, Velocity which means that they're probably all charging about the same, unless that's a lot more than Bull was charging you.

At any rate, I think it's all too expensive and the main reason why I will probably never train at a "real" BJJ school. I'd stick with Judo, the poor man's BJJ.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 4:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay Remember, Mcdojo does not equal bad.

There are signs of a school being a Mcdojo. You don't need to participate to know this about a school. You need to participate to know if the quality of the teaching is good or Bullshido (which is bad).
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/20/2005 4:16pm at .

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what Chupa is getting at.

Look at the Lloyd Irvin programme:

http://www.lloydirvin.com/adult/bjj/schedule.html

If you took out all the references to BJJ and all the names - most people would think "First Class McDojo". It's all there - the Black Belt Club, the ranks within ranks, the Little Ninjas class, the accelerated promotion scheme and so on.

But because of the BJJ link, and the presence of a lot of proven fighters, there is the tendancy to want to look over all that.

Now, I don't begrudge any professional martial artist earning a living - regardless of what style they teach (everyone has to put food on the table), it'd not a matter of money - only the attitude of the teacher and whether or not the product is good or not.

I have no doubt that the Lloyd Irvin school is a good one, but the presentation is very much in line with a great many other martial arts schools in the world, some good - but most bad.
    Last edited by Beneath Contempt; 5/21/2005 2:40pm at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 12:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chupa, forget about it.

Just forget about that place - don't go back there and find something else.

$125- a month for training ? **** that for a joke. Its too expensive. $125- a month is too much to pay. You can pay that much if you like but there is no way I would.

If its grappling that you want look for a Judo school. Or else at least another martial arts place with reasonable prices. Hit the boxing/kickboxing places and keep an eye out for any Kyokushin dojo's.You can't go wrong if you stick to those styles. There nice and easy.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 1:17am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Markets do vary hannibal - there's parts of the US where 100/month or so is the going rate.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 1:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What amazes me is you guys say this school is okay because they teach BJJ. If it was any other style you guys would slam it doen hard and cal it a mcdojo.

BJJ or no BJJ $125- a month is a rip off. Your better off training somewhere else.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chupa, that is a bit expensive for the Atlanta market for an add-on program at an assumed belt-factory run by a purple belt with 3hr/week classes. Barring an amazing purple belt that is just trying to come up and doing whatever it takes, I would think that you have better options elsewhere in Alpharetta, Marietta, Roswell, Cumming, downtown, etc for both price and quality of teaching.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where does the purple belt get his bjj training? you might just want to take lessons there if possible.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    5/21/2005 9:23am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it Omar Lira?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast