Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ training format

I was thinking about a different way to teach BJJ. Here is the usual way I teach:

5 minutes warm up.
    Teach two or three techniques for 30 - 35 minutes.
    Do some "hole" training i.e. One person under side control for three minutes trying to escape, when he does another guy jumps on; One guy playing guard for three minutes while his opponent has to pass.If he passes then a third partner goes in the guard.
    35 minutes of rolling.

This is the way I've always been taught and seems to yield results. However if you have people of many different belt grades it means that sometimes you're teaching above or below some people's levels. Generally you only want to do 30 minutes of technique and the rest of the class is drilling or rolling.

So I was thinking about this for a class format:

Class starts at 6pm. At 6.15 pm the whitebelts get taught in one corner of the class. The rest of the mat is open mat. At 6.45pm the blue belts are taught in one corner of the class while the white belts roll amongst themselves and whoever else has shown up. At 7.30pm the purple belts and above are taught in one corner of the mat while the blues get to roll in the open mat with the whites. From 8pm to 9pm the mat is open for everyone to roll together.

Why do you think? Pros, cons?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 1:11am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When we're doing technique work, I always benefit more from practicing with someone who has more experience than I do. If I'm working on a technique with a brown belt who knows what he's doing, I'll be able to grasp it better than I would if I'm working with a whitebelt who's only seen the technique a couple times before.

Furthermore, I've been told by the more advanced practicioners that it is beneficial to them to help me with technique because they are forced to analyze it in more depth than usual. So, I think it would be a good call to teach technique to a group with a decent variety of experience levels; at least part of the time.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You only have a 5 minute warm up? Is it like I'll-fucking-rape-you-in-the-ass-sprints?

At our class, depending on the number of people, we either split up the white belts and the other belts, or do technique together. We get shown a technique, then do it a few times, then another, then drill it a while, then usually it's been 30 min and it's time for sparring.

Your format seems pretty much like ours, except that you split it into like two sections or something. Oh, and we only have 1 purple belt, so we can't have a 3rd section like that. :)

Is there anybody supervising the white belts when they do technique work/roll? Or do they just go off on their own?

I'd say it's a pretty solid format. Everybody gets to roll, and everybody gets to learn some technique stuff.

PL

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zing,
    You're right that the higher grades learn something, but the problem with that is it stops the higher grades from being able to do the techniques they should be working on. There's only so much time that most of us have each week to train - unfortunately work, relationships, family etc get in the way so I think it's unfair - and boring - for a purple belt to have to work on white belt basics when he should be working on things to improve his own game.

Poop-Loops,
    No, i don't usually do a tough warm up. I don't see the point. If people want to get fit then they can do that either by rolling or in their own time. I'd rather spend the extra time having people drill or roll or working a technique than doing conditioning work.

I was thinking that if when the blue belts are learning technique, the white belts will be rollig and there would be purple belts and above rolling or warming up at the same time. The lack of someone to watch over the whites when they roll seems to be the only flaw.

The reason I thought of this format was that it allowed people to get more time rolling. I know that for myself, I'm at the point where I'm not interested in learning new techniques, just improving my own game. I think anyone from high-purple belt and above is mostly better off rolling most of the time. By that point they should have worked out their game and so a lot of what they learn isn't going to be immediately applicable to them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this place i used to go to had 30 minutes of arse ripping exercise (occasionally someone would run off to vomit), then 30 mins of techniques and drills which i would be too exhausted to do properly, then 30 mins of rolling which i would be too exhausted to do properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 7:30am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "too exhausted to do properly" - i love it when i reach this stage i feel that it refines my technique better than when i'm still going strong

when i'm going strong, i can afford to be lazy and muscle things, when i'm gassed, i have to rely on technique, i feel that is what makes me improve the most

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 7:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try having one or two fundamentals practices during the week wherein you teach white belt grade stuff. The rest of week teach a blue belt and up curriculum. This way your whites have a night centered on their needs, the blues and up can review and help out the whites and the whites get exposed to material they will need later when they come to the non-fundamental class. Sorry for the run-on sentence, it's early here, yawn.

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 2:12pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pros seem to be more individually met needs and more rolling time as a whole. The major con I see is that when learning a technique or drilling a technique in a particular class I like to try and use that technique while rolling later (toward the end of class). That could be a preference thing, but I feel that although alive drilling is fine and dandy, that you never truely understand the nature of the technique until you have tried it sparring.

If you taught the lower belts first so that they could try their newly learned techniques later, then refresh the higher belts who aren't nessecarily learning as much new stuff, that might work out well. You're the teacher and the pro, so it's really up to you in the end. Remember that if it isn't working well you could always change it back.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    this place i used to go to had 30 minutes of arse ripping exercise (occasionally someone would run off to vomit), then 30 mins of techniques and drills which i would be too exhausted to do properly, then 30 mins of rolling which i would be too exhausted to do properly.
    We have 30min warm up, but it's not ass ripping. Not usually. ;) And I like being extra tired, that means that I have to rely on technique, not strength to get moves to work.

PL

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like it would get complicated quick and like you wouldn't be able to keep track of what all is going on since you have the class seperated.

Something similar is sometimes done at my school sometimes where during an open rank class everyone gets split. Usually teaching then has to be delegated and some poor schmuck of a purple has to come teach us white belts. This is often a limited technique session when there's lots of newbies though.
    Last edited by Dochter; 6/06/2005 2:43pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast