Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mandatory martial arts

Found this on the Philippine Congressional Website

House panel approved self defense measure for women
    15 May 2005 12:37:12 PM
    Writer: Fidel Gumawid, PRID

The House committee on women has approved a measure that mandates the teaching of martial arts to all women to protect themselves against violence.

The program dubbed MOTHER, or short for Movement to Help Eradicate Rape and Other Female Abuses, would teach basic self defense techniques to help women protect themselves in the event of imminent danger, particularly in the commission of heinous crimes such as rape.

Under the measure authored principally by Rep. Roseller Barinaga (2nd district, Zamboanga del Norte), training on self defense will be included in the Physical Education (P.E.) subjects of the students in the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.

Subject on basic self defense will also be incorporated in the curriculum of the technical and vocational courses to be administered by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).

Barinaga said female employees in both the government and private sector will also be encourage to take martial arts training to be supervised by the Civil Service Commission (CSC) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Martial arts training will also be introduced to barangay (village) level under the supervision of the local government units.

"These are extraordinary times. Rape exempts no female girls, wives, grandmother, the rich and poor," Barinaga said.

The bill outlines the role of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in conducting the self defense training of the OFWs.

Barinaga said the program could be incorporated in the POEA's pre departure and pre employment orientation seminars.

Gabriela, a women group likewise acknowledged the value of the measure in terms of equipping the female populace against possible aggressions.

"It would enable potential victims to think clearly and act accordingly instead of being paralyzed by fear," Barinaga said.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Phillipines moved to Europe? How come I'm always the last one to find out about these things?

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 6:03pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post a link?

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 8:53pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about teaching men self defense? Men get raped too. Boys get molested. I agree that everybody in school should learn martial arts. Hell, they've had weightlifting and boxing programs in prison, why not martial arts or grappling? It'd probably stop a lot of rapes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 10:01pm

Style: Not Currently Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...except that if everyone trains to fight, then those who are more skilled/determined/whatever will still be capable of owning their bitches. Ultimately, makes no fuckin' difference. Being able to fight isn't going to help you when there are eight guys who also can fight working you over.

Face it, the biggest advantage you gain from training in the martial arts is that not everyone does it, therefore there are always far easier victims for the arseholes to go for.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 12:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. The only way a 140lb guy like me would be able to kick the ass of an 180lb guy is if the guy had no fucking clue what he was doing, and I was actually good. That's why even pro MMA fighting competitions have weight classes now.

Sure, you'd have kids who didn't want to train as hard as others, but if sparring was included, then the bullies would become unstoppable noogie machines.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 4:32pm

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone has cracked the nut. A friend of some political stooge will get rich teaching some silly form or a couple of kicks, endorsed by another stooge and no one will be the wiser. The corrupt Government will pay as long as they get a kick back.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that the summer school PE course back in my second year of HS included a bunch of stupid sports like badmitton, golf and interpretive dance. I'm not making this up. Not to mention it wasn't a rich school with the kind of funding to make that interesting. By the end of the class, everyone was just begging to play basketball/soccer/ANYTHINGFUN. Anyway, apparently the second half of the class, which I didn't attend, got even more boring and included 'self-defense', which involved the famed 'push the bone in their nose into their brain' defense. I was sad to have missed that.

As has been said, somebody is just making money off this and it won't breed a whole new generation of MAs from people who are likely not even interested.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    I remember that the summer school PE course back in my second year of HS included a bunch of stupid sports like badmitton.
    Eat **** and die.

PL