Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 2:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll Add the one statistic that no one else added.

That is what seems to be missing Gwinn.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/rsarp00.pdf

"When the offender was a current or
    former husband or boyfriend, about
    three-fourths of all victimizations
    were not reported to police (77% of
    completed rapes, 77% of attempted
    rapes, and 75% of sexual assaults
    not reported)

When the offender was a friend or
    acquaintance, 61% of completed
    rapes, 71% of attempted rapes, and
    82% of sexual assaults were not
    reported.

he offender was a stranger,
    54% of completed rapes, 44% of
    attempted rapes, and 34% of sexual
    assaults were not reported to the
    police."

In other words you have a higher chance of getting away with rape if you know the person.

This is why they are "pushing" the known person. That is the flaw in anti-rape training. These people are teaching you to defend against the lowest statistical probability. We all say we could kick or kill someone when fighting. Well the same can't be said for a friend, husband, father, etc. That adds a whole new dynamic on the SD situation. It is easier to hurt/kill a nobody as compared to a friend, relative or aquaintance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 3:16pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I think we may want to take into consideration is WHEN this article was written. 1984. We have to consider how rape was being viewed at that time. Did studies exist at that time to support the fact that most rapes are perpetrated by a victim's acquaintance? Was this common knowledge at this time?

I don't know the answers as i was only 14 at the time and rape studies and statistics were the furthest thing from my mind.

Personally, I understand that the some of what the Castros were doing was flawed, but compared to many other Womens Self Defense courses I've witnessed over the years, this one at least seems to be attempting a relatively realistic and practical approach. They are not trying to teach these women a martial art, but how to carry themselves with confidence so as not to appear as an easy mark, be aware of their surroundings, and some things they can do to protect themselves in the event of an attack.

Does this program still exist?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorinjikempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    In other words you have a higher chance of getting away with rape if you know the person.
    Its really the other way around, its harder to find and charge an unknown rapist. Most of them get away with it.... Even if the crime is reported.

If the rapist knows the victim and the victim reports the crime it much more likely that rapist is convicted.

This is how it is in sweden anyway, I would quess that its the same everywere.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 5:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    Its really the other way around, its harder to find and charge an unknown rapist. Most of them get away with it.... Even if the crime is reported.

If the rapist knows the victim and the victim reports the crime it much more likely that rapist is convicted.

When I was in Sweden in 2004, I was told it had recently been voted the most gender-equal counry in the world, by the UN. One of the factors is how many rapes occur, or are attempted.

I'm a regular Sweden nutrider, and this is one of the many reasons why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 8:33am

Style: Punch-in-face do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Castros' students are taught to recognize what a would-be attacker might look like. They are instructed not to take people at face value.....
    priceless

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip
    My college offers a semester-long R.A.D. course. Two words: total bullshit.
    That's a shame, it sounded better on the internet than in real life...

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip
    As for your comments about "how many attacks are there?" - I spend hours each week just trying to learn to defend myself from a front punch and a mount. And after years of effort I can confidently say that if a motivated attacker who outweighed me by 50 pounds got me with either, I'd be in deep trouble.

A woman may be able to AVOID an attack by fighting back against an attacker and convincing him to look for an easier target, but that's very different from DEFEATING an attacker who has made up his mind that you're going to be his victim.

Women's self defense classes are pure bullshido. They make a mockery of the time I put in at the gym every week.
    Looking at the Pimp vs Karate Instructor vid gives me the idea that for street encounters knowing how to work the guard is probably irrelevant. For most people, not just women, once you are down and mounted it's over. This seems to hold true in most UFC fights.

Is anyone actually saying "defeat an attacker? I thought the emphasis was on escape.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 9:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kidpower.org/Adults.html

"I am a therapist who took your four-hour workshop with my 16-year-old daughter after a serial rapist started stalking our neighborhood. We left feeling sure that we had the skills to defuse most situations as well as to fight off an attacker if necessary. I never knew we had so much strength!"

Damn!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 9:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.awsda.org/
    This one looks better

Instructor Bio -
    Erin Weed's dear friend, Shannon McNamara, was murdered while fighting off an attacker in her apartment in June 2001. Having never taken a self defense class, Erin attended the AWSDA conference in August 2001. Soon after becoming certified to teach, she started "Girls Fight Back" women's self defense.

Instructor Bio -
    Patricia Warren is a 5th dan judo black belt; Qualified group fitness trainer; Rape crisis workshop instructor at girls high schools;

Still the concerns that have been raised... How effective is a short class? I imagine better than nothing.

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Still the concerns that have been raised... How effective is a short class? I imagine better than nothing.
    I think that's really the whole issue with Self-Defense Seminars and Rape Prevention classes isn't it? How effective is a short class?

Classes like these should teach more AWARENESS, via Gavin De Becker's The Gift of Fear, rather than techniques.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 5:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato

In your country yes. These statistics come from the US Department of Justice. Which means no in my case. The statistics already show a majority of rapes (US only) are by aquaintances and 77 percent aren't reported. So, a little over 55% go unreported for stranger, Almost 80% aquaintance rape goes unreported. How is it the other way around.

So, no, I got it right in regards to my country.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast