Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, nobody heard that old 60īs song?

Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    The going rate for 1 bedrooms in cheaper areas like the outer Richmond was about $1400/month when I left in '99.
    AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!!!! Thatīs crazy!!!!!!!

U.S. Army (Reserve)

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some pricing recently, and it's still that bad. Worse in a number of places (i.e. don't both looking in Noe Valley). San Diego isn't a whole lot better. I guess all those dot-com yuppies weren't ridden out of town on a rail.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffer
    Best of luck. Any idea where you're going to end up living in San Francisco? My fiance's father owns a number of buildings, which may speed up your search for an apartment; I'd be willing to give him a buzz if it's needed. It can be extremely difficult to find a place your average non-millionaire can afford.

(About the Castro thing: it's actually one of the more fun areas to hang out in. Assuming that you don't freak out about people's sexuality.)
    I've been to Castro a few times and I agree - it's one of the funner areas to be. Honestly, I'd live there, but it's just too damn expensive. I'll be going there... in two weeks. I have already found a couple of places that would do, but if your fiancee's father has anything availiable for June 1st, I'll send my girlfriend (who's doind all the apartment hunting) over to take a look today or tomorrow. If not, that's cool too. I'm looking for something in the city for around 1100 - 1300 a month, 1 bedroom.

Thanks a lot for the advise.

Alex
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffer
    I did some pricing recently, and it's still that bad. Worse in a number of places (i.e. don't both looking in Noe Valley). San Diego isn't a whole lot better. I guess all those dot-com yuppies weren't ridden out of town on a rail.
    Nah, it's not that that bad. I'm looking at a couple places in the 1200 a month range that are ok. I'm not after luxury, I'm after character. My perfect apartment would be in one of those Victorian houses near the rark. I couldn't give a damn about granite countertops or stainless steel refrigirators.

Also, I'm kind of a dot-com yuppie myself, so it's only fitting I find my way over there...

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scratch that, I just rented and apartment.
    Done.
    Last edited by HAPKO3; 5/14/2005 8:20pm at .

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder how much the average wages are in the USA so people can afford that prices...

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    I wonder how much the average wages are in the USA so people can afford that prices...
    Average? I don't remember, something like $35,000 per year is the median wage, I think. If you have two people in your family making that kind of money, 12000 mer month is manageble, but somewhat on the high side. This is assuming no children. With children, it becomes that much more difficult.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the really difficult things about leaving SF was knowing I would probably never ever be able to afford to move back. I had been living in a 1 bedroom flat that I paid $800/month for and the largish studio (almost a 1 bedroom) downstairs from me rented for $1100 the month before I left for China.

HOP, $1100 is still insanely expensive for most of the US. I think only maybe Manhatten is more expensive than SF.

*sigh* . . . I am sooooooo relieved that I have various family members who are actually property owners now. Not in SF but still.

Rent for my 100 msq. 2 bedroom + study in Xi'an: $100/month. :)
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Also, to add to what HOP said, those figures sound like pre-tax to me. Furthermore the "average" or more usefully, the median income, doesn't really apply to SF as SF is not an average city. It is either the most expensive or second most expensive city in the US....or was when I left. Right around the late 90's the rents skyrocketed. I mean like nearly doubling in a single year. Everyone was freaking out about it. Landlords were putting out rent ads and getting like 30 applicants in a week so they'd cancel the add and put out a new one with 30-40% higher rent on it and STILL get takers.

A lot of people would say that NY was more expensive but it really depends on how you define New York. If you mean Manhatten Island than NY is more expensive. If you include the outer burroughs then SF is more expensive.

At one point I was pulling down about 4 grand a month as a waiter in SF. Those dot com yuppies tip well. . . but not as well as what we liked to call the "d.i.n.k.s", our affectionate term for the well heeled fags which heavily populate the city.

D.i.n.k. = Dual Income No Kids.

Awsome tippers if you treat them right. They tend to even know how to order too.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 9:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Also, to add to what HOP said, those figures sound like pre-tax to me. Furthermore the "average" or more usefully, the median income, doesn't really apply to SF as SF is not an average city. It is either the most expensive or second most expensive city in the US....or was when I left. Right around the late 90's the rents skyrocketed. I mean like nearly doubling in a single year. Everyone was freaking out about it. Landlords were putting out rent ads and getting like 30 applicants in a week so they'd cancel the add and put out a new one with 30-40% higher rent on it and STILL get takers.

A lot of people would say that NY was more expensive but it really depends on how you define New York. If you mean Manhatten Island than NY is more expensive. If you include the outer burroughs then SF is more expensive.

At one point I was pulling down about 4 grand a month as a waiter in SF. Those dot com yuppies tip well. . . but not as well as what we liked to call the "d.i.n.k.s", our affectionate term for the well heeled fags which heavily populate the city.

D.i.n.k. = Dual Income No Kids.

Awsome tippers if you treat them right. They tend to even know how to order too.
    Yeah, when I wrote the above post, I forgot to mention that it was a) pretax, and b) the average income for San Francisco would be much higher. The number I pulled out of my ass is way the hell too high, by the way. I looked it up now, and it was $43,318. per HOUSEHOLD in 2003, according to About.com. There's no way one could afford to spend so much money on rent then.

San Francisco is insanely expensive, but then again all the places I've lived so far have been almost as bad. Boston >> San Diego >> San Francisco.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast