Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moving to San Francisco

Finally, it looks like all my plans have been finalized and everything is allset.

Right now, I am in the process of getting rid of pretty much everything that I own. In two weeks, I will get in my car with the remainder of my posessions (books and clothes mostly) and move my ass over to San Francisco.

I've been needing a change of scenery and perspective for a while and now's finally the time.

In any case, are any of you currently living and training there? I am looking for a Bjj/Vale-Tudo/MMA school in the city. I'm primarily interested in grappling (both gi and no-gi) but am looking to add some MMA training in the near future. The good news is that I will mostly be workng from home, so I won't have to worry about things like bruises and black eyes unless I have to fly around for meetings with clients and whatnot which should not happen too often.

I know that both Charles and Ralph Gracie have schools in the area, but I'm a bit worried about all the drama that always surrounds those two.

Ideas? Suggestions?
    You say what about my rice?

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 12:09pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure there will be lotsa guys willing to grapple you no-gi. Harday har har...
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 1:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most easy joke ever.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 1:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually thinking that most people would resist the urge to post it for that very reason. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is quite easy too. My only advice is that if you´re going to San Francisco, make sure to wear some flowers in your hair :XXhippylo

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 1:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    This is quite easy too. My only advice is that if you´re going to San Francisco, make sure to wear some flowers in your hair :XXhippylo
    You're killing my faith in humanity, I hope you know that.

U.S. Army (Reserve)

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited Ralph's school while I was in San Francisco, and it wasn't bad. Lots of good sparring partners. I don't know how you feel about the Gracie clan, but you could do a lot worse. Consider waiting until you actually move, and then check out Chinatown and Little Japan. Both are quite dense with schools. I'll be moving up for school at UC Berkley in a year, perhaps I'll see you there.

Definately ask around the Castro for sparring partners. Wear low-riders. (I had to.)

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 4:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ralph has a good team it seems. I will pay him a visit and make up my mind based on what I see. I would _love_ to train with Ceasar, but he's just too far away, I think.

Thanks for the advice.

U.S. Army (Reserve)

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best of luck. Any idea where you're going to end up living in San Francisco? My fiance's father owns a number of buildings, which may speed up your search for an apartment; I'd be willing to give him a buzz if it's needed. It can be extremely difficult to find a place your average non-millionaire can afford.

(About the Castro thing: it's actually one of the more fun areas to hang out in. Assuming that you don't freak out about people's sexuality.)

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Easy and about 10 years out of date. The neo-hippies all got driven out by the silicon valley yuppies in the mid 90's when they all realized they didn't have to live in Silicon valley to do their jobs and drove the real estate through the roof. I hope to god it's crashed since I left. The going rate for 1 bedrooms in cheaper areas like the outer Richmond was about $1400/month when I left in '99.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffer
    I visited Ralph's school while I was in San Francisco, and it wasn't bad. Lots of good sparring partners. I don't know how you feel about the Gracie clan, but you could do a lot worse. Consider waiting until you actually move, and then check out Chinatown and Little Japan. Both are quite dense with schools. I'll be moving up for school at UC Berkley in a year, perhaps I'll see you there.
    I don't know which school is Ralph's but the Gracie school that opened on Broadway was absurdly expensive. Like $180/month for maybe 2 classes/week. That was 5 years ago though. Maybe it's more reasonable now. That was a major reason I stayed away from BJJ, sticker shock.

Chinatown is "dense with schools"? Coulda fooled me. I trained there for 8 years but if ti wasn't for the Yau Kung Men or whatever they were called showing up for parades and such I never would have known there was even another single school there but mine....er...and that bagua guy who used to have an add hanging off of the 2nd floor in that building abouve the big parking garage between Sacramento and California...or was it a block north of there. But none of that is going to be MMA/Vale Tudo anyways. I expect the same for Japantown.

Best fighter around town for stand up is probably Chris Chan. I would so love to get a review of his WC school on here. The place could use a positive example. Still not MMA though.

I seem to remember a Kyokshin place or one of it's offshoots just north of North Beach.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast