Sponsored Links Spacer Image

U.S. Army (Reserve)

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personal opinion and experience is that you don't want to stick around long enough to try to win a streetfight, especially against multiple opponents. All you're asking for is joe blow's buddies to touch you up with their boots after you hit the floor (and you will hit the floor). Better to get the hell out of dodge, rather than bowing to male ego. Save it for the ring.

A foot-long knife? Are you insane?! Defending yourself effectively is one thing. Setting out to cripple/kill is quite another. Look up the statistics for how martial artists fare in court after a streetfight. You may get away clean, or they may decide that you qualify as a deadly weapon--depends on how badly (and with what method) you maul the guy.

Bringing a foot of steel into the picture virtually assures that you'll become somebody's bitch for at least a couple of years. Good news: you can work out a lot. Bad news: you'll learn to toss the salad. Manslaughter and/or assault with a deadly weapon do not look good on one's record, and they make martial artists in general look like moronic, violent assclowns. No thanks.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a 'friendly' fight with two friends once...

... and I fucked them up! Not that I'm any sort of badazz, it just worked out that way.

They came at me at the same time, but I had space to move and keep some distance with low kicks. Then my friend Lou (who knew some MA) threw a kick - I caught the kick and swept the supporting leg (by kicking his knee pretty good). Lou basically did a flying faceplant and grabbed his knee, and then Nick (who didn't know MA) tackled me. Fortunately, I submitted him with a wrist lock almost as soon as we hit the ground, and well before Lou could recover.

If I didn't know the guys, my tactics would have been different. Namely, run-like-hell.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:51pm

Style: pentjak silat/ kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually attacked by two guys once, although only one of them actually put his hnds on me. I punched him in the face a couple times, kneed him in the midsection, and then swept his back leg causing him to fall on his ass. The whole time his buddy just stood there watching me beat his friend up screaming "Dude, he was only kidding!" Had the other guy stepped in, things could have gotten really ugly, but sometimes you just have to rock n roll and see what happens I guess....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:55pm

Style: pentjak silat/ kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, had it not been for my MA training, I may not have come out on top of this altercation. All three parties involved were quite intoxicated, but this seemed like more of an impromptu attack (the guy came up to me and shoved me while calling me a '******') than a premeditated attack. Again, as I said before- had guy #2 intervened I might have gotten pwned- he was a lot bigger than I am.

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:49pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc
    I've trained for a lot of years and been in a lot of fights and more often than not I find that losing it works best in multiple situations. Your goal is to be as vicious as possible. The correct attitude is that they'll get you eventually, but you'll make them pay dearly for it. They'll stop fighting if you hurt a couple of them pretty badly.

And for weapons, anything that you can launch someone into makes a great weapon. Other retards, walls, cars, parking meters, or windows. I don't have weapons handy at work and the police would frown on me cracking some kid with a jo.

Niloc - Throwing retards in fantasy land since his imprisionment in 1998.
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 2:18am

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While multiple attackers are dangerous, wether an MA or not, it is possible to defend yourself. MA's are not useless, unless you are restricted by them. For example, if someone attacks you, and you use your techniques exactly the way you do them in the form or whatever, then you will probably get owned. You just have to be instinctive, aggressive (but calm and defensive when need be), and natural. Use logic and common sense, and your martial arts will work for you.

I once saw a Golden Glove boxer, short stout hispanic, get jumped, and beat 5 bigger African Americans. Of course when weapons are involved, then things get serious. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Martial arts are useless, it depends on how you train, and how serious you are. If you do a set of routines with no meaning, and no "aliveness" then yes it is close to useless. Remember MA's were used, and practiced against, and with weapons before for a long time. Just because arts like Gong Fu are pretty much dead, doesn't mean you can't make it work for you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123