Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:11am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are all MAs BS at SD cos of Multiple Opponents?

Just an open question... [Don't get riled... I'm not for or against this question... I'm just posing it as something for discussion :toothy9: ]

Based on recent(ish) data the incidence of multiple opponent violent attacks is quite high.

The table below shows the incidence of violent crime by category and broken down by the number of offenders.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf...ent/cv0237.pdf

Note: the proportion of cases that constitute a street fight (i.e. 'violence completed' 'done by strangers') that involved multiple offenders was 42.2%.

In otherwords 42.2% of violent attacks on people done by strangers involved more than one person.... thats getting close to nearly 1/2 off all cases.

So having said that... and since it has been pointed out on the forum before that taking on multiple opponents is very very very risky, and you're probably better off running..... is the study of martial arts worthless as a means of self defense????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:31am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thats what got me interested in weapon styles. Particularly FMA because weapons are the great evener and you could defend from a strategically advantageous position (eg. a doorway).

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:33am

Style: any

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Vallery the untrained skateboarder fought plenty of multiple opponent fights anc came out unscratched. All you need is the crazeey. You dont need training just go apeshit like jet li in Unleashed.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been discussed before.

The RIGHT type of martial arts training is useful. And by the right type I mean full contact styles that have harsh training methods and do lots of sparring. We all know this okay ? Right ?

But at the end of the day its the man, not the art that wins fights. Combat training is only as good as the person you give it too. SOme people can make it work better than others. And with the right type of training people of average ability can become better.

Put it this way - if I was in a street fight I'd feel more comfortable having been trained in martial arts than not having been trained.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 6:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadGuy
    Mike Vallery the untrained skateboarder fought plenty of multiple opponent fights anc came out unscratched. All you need is the crazeey. You dont need training just go apeshit like jet li in Unleashed.
    Yeah but from the video it looked like he picked that fight and wanted to beat them down. He also seemed to be the heaviest build and they seemed like a bunch of lanky highschool drop outs who were scared off pretty easily.

I mean it wasn't like they were a bunch of criminals out to beat him up and were appropriately tough enough to implement violence as a strategy that they felt comfortable with.

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:43am

Style: any

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea but I heard he does the same to bouncers. And Bas Rutten ebat a bunch fo boucners up once in Britain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of weapon would you use in a street fight? Like a katana or nunchukas?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A heavy stick, maybe a knife if you carry those, or anything else that might be lying about.

My sword is probably the last thing I'd venture out with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh something like a car wheel lock, a pipe, a piece of wood with a rusty nail through it, a broken bottle, sporting equipment etc.
    Last edited by Lefty; 5/14/2005 8:11am at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:38am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's one thing to talk a tough game with weapons; it's another to actually have the stones to do it and live with the consequences. "Judged by 12 ratherr than carried by 6" and all that.

Some people on BS are familiar with a recent occurrence where someone used a makeshift weapon in a barfight and received a jail sentence for it. Now they have to live with the consequences of that while in jail and afterwards, since a similar occurrence will get them back in the slammer, for even longer.

That being said, some MA's explicitly drill for multiple opponent's, like Krav Maga, but that's about as unenviable as taking on even a slightly trained knife-fighter while barehanded. You're not gonna come away unscathed.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast