223967 Bullies, 4094 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my karate class is free, other than the incidental costs (gis at wholesale, $10 a belt, i just picked us up a new first aid kit, we split big purchases like mats). bjj is - for now - similar (heck, we're learning from a pair of blue belts), but will cost money once our proper instructor gets back from brazil. i believe he is letting old students keep the old rate of $50/mo, and upping it for new students. twice weekly classes for both arts.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I charge 60 a month for unlimited.And we're open 7 days a week.
    I'd like to increase the dues but frankly, I'm scared of my students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:03pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had access to some of the places you guys spar. So far it does seem like I'd be paying the most (for quality instructions, most definitely).

For me, like I said, $99 a month with unlimited classes, but there's only 6 classes I can take a week. In addition to that, however, my class mandates I must bring my own: Muay Thai shorts, gloves, shin guards, mouthguard, cup and handwraps. Total, that runs me an additional like $200-300. So for a year, that'd cost me around $1400. $1400 a year is heftily out of my price range.

With a discount for signing up a friend and enrolling for six months, upfront I would pay around $700-800, including all required gear, which is around 116 per month in the least for the best discount I can get. So far, from looking at what you guys are posting, it seems like this is sort of pricey and perhaps I should look into other gyms (or even other MAs). What do you recommend?
    -A

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oregon Pound Jiujitsu is about 25$ a term, and it's about the same for my uni's mma club.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:12pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwood
    I wish I had access to some of the places you guys spar. So far it does seem like I'd be paying the most (for quality instructions, most definitely).

For me, like I said, $99 a month with unlimited classes, but there's only 6 classes I can take a week. In addition to that, however, my class mandates I must bring my own: Muay Thai shorts, gloves, shin guards, mouthguard, cup and handwraps. Total, that runs me an additional like $200-300. So for a year, that'd cost me around $1400. $1400 a year is heftily out of my price range.

With a discount for signing up a friend and enrolling for six months, upfront I would pay around $700-800, including all required gear, which is around 116 per month in the least for the best discount I can get. So far, from looking at what you guys are posting, it seems like this is sort of pricey and perhaps I should look into other gyms (or even other MAs). What do you recommend?
    -A
    I would recommend you not sign up for 6 months up front. Try a week or even a month and see if you like it. 600-700 is alot of money to be paying up front with no gaurantee that you'll be wanting to do it for that long.

And like you said, look around. Have multiple options and then compare and contrast them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:24pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    I would recommend you not sign up for 6 months up front. Try a week or even a month and see if you like it. 600-700 is alot of money to be paying up front with no gaurantee that you'll be wanting to do it for that long.

And like you said, look around. Have multiple options and then compare and contrast them.
    The thing is, the 6 months payment is the cheapest one. The gym doesn't allow weekly payments, only monthly payments, and those monthly payments are $99. By using the six month plan, I'd save $60.

But it's a good point - I might not like MT. So what I really want to do is find a much cheaper alternative and test it out, before I decide to plunk down a good 700 on a MA that I might end up disliking.
    -A

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:37pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $40 a month for two training sessions per week and any extra activities like tameshigiri or seminars affiliated with our dojo.

Of course, the price isn't fixed and my teacher is nice about letting us pay as we are able.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 2:27am

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $40 for the quarter as it's part of our college
    (1 quarter = 13 weeks)

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Kyokushin karate I pay $65- per month.

I go to training 3 times a week and thats plenty as far as I'm concerned.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all about how much you are willing to pay. If you are happy about the instruction and the price, then why worry about it? Here just to make you feel better I'll tell you how much I pay.

Until last month I paid $209 per month to my McDojo karate school. Now that was for unlimited classes for both me and my girlfriend, and one 30-minute private lesson for each of us. Classes are held Monday-Friday and I typically go 3 days a week so that covers about 5 hours of actual instruction in the dojo. Recently we dropped one of our privates, so our rate is going to drop $50 a month to $159.

About a month ago I also signed up for BJJ at another school in my area. $50 for one class a week, but Fridays are open mat and there is no charge, so it's more like two. I also had to pay $50 to enroll in the Rickson Gracie GJJ Association, and will have to renew every year for $35.

It's been sort of interesting comparing how the two schools operate. My karate school really is a McDojo (as in for profit, not fraudulent), mostly kids and their parents, with a lot of extra costs. Testing fees every two months, school tournaments complete with entry fees every other month. On top of that I buy every DVD my instructor makes and pay to go to every seminar he gives. I take a real active role in class, and for the past few months I feel like I've been paying him to help teach his school's classes. The thing is, most of the extras are optional, I choose to pay for them. No one is twisting my arm. Why do I do it? I like that my girlfriend and I can train together, and there is still a few good instructors and a handful of guys like me that making training somewhat worthwhile. The other thing is, EVERYTHING price wise is given up front in a handout as soon as someone asks for pricing info. Nothing is hidden, there are no surprises. No long term contracts either.

The BJJ school I train at is quite different. Classes are longer, they are more of a workout, and there are more quality training partners. All big pluses in my book. Some of the negatives? Well their pricing information is somewhat misleading. The flyer I received says classes are from 6:00 to 9:00 Monday-Thursday, but when I showed up on my first day at 5:55 I was told things really don't get started until 6:45 or so and I've found most classes end before 8:30. I thought I was paying for 3 solid hours of training, not less than two. I have $50 taken automatically out of my checking account every month, for one group class a week. Although I was told if I missed a week I could carry over the class and go to two the next, the student agreement I signed says just the opposite.

Another thing is the quality of instruction. I watched about an hour of class on two separate days before signing up. The head instructor/owner, a Rickson Black Belt, is really, really good, both in BJJ and teaching it. Since I've signed up, most of my classes have been taught by a couple of blue belts. One guy is cool, really knows his stuff, and has a knack for teaching. The other is sort of a prick, doesn't seem to know the first thing about teaching, and doesn't seem to be as good as the other guy, despite have 2 more years of training time. In my first class he was asked to show me and another newb the armbar. What followed was 30 minutes of confusion/frustration with the only guidance from him consisting of "Wrong......Wrong........I don't even know what the hell you did that time......Wrong". Even though I'm not exactly getting what I thought I signed up for, the benefits still justify the cost. I'm just not getting as good as a deal as I thought.

So there you have it, at karate I don't really feel I'm getting top value for my dollar and my BJJ school has some questionable business practices.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast