Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KumaOni
    About the wristlocks. Yeah, its near ridiculous to try and get a wristlock on someone stand up.. I doubt I'd every try it.
    And yet most Bujinkan schools train only against standing opponents...

But lets say buddy is going for a collar choke (on the ground), or you almost have that triangle locked, but not quite. There are a LOT of opportunities (moreso with a gi on) when you're on the ground for wristlocks. But thats true with any sub. Its easier, in my opinion, to sub on the ground than on your feet
    No doubt. I get them to work only once I secured the person on the ground. However I always prefer attacking a bigger joint or a choke instead of smaller joints like wrists and fingers. The former are fight enders the latter is more dicey.

Wristlocks can work, but I wouldnt and dont train them 80% of the time. I prefer arm bars and chokes
    If you like armbars and chokes why are you messing around with the Bujinkan? It's a rare Bujinkan school that spends any significant time doing those types of attacks, and even rarer still to be doing it against a resisting opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 1:13pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I waste my time with it because all we do is drill grappling(no wristlocks, we almost never do those) We drill things like throws that would be taught in Judo, as well as subs taught in Judo. Once a class we'll add a new move or two, usually a throw or a variation to a throw already taught. Then we spar. So... I waste my time drilling and sparring. I think thats pretty legit.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 4:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    I learned a lot of similar subs in Bujnkan too but because I rarely ever got to use them full-speed they never worked well against someone resisting you. So I use some now, but they are so heavily modified to the BJJ/Judo application that it's hardly fair saying they are Bujinkan techniques. Shrug.

Re: Wrist locks.

Wrist locks look nice but are a very low percentage move against someone standing and fighting back. I'd say most Bujinkan schools spend %80+ of their time practicing these techniques and throws that perhaps work %1- 5 of the time when fighting. I only practice these techniques rarely now to reflect their relevance when actually figting someone full-speed. IMHO.
    I agree 2with katana and that is why I teach high percentage moves 1st and then lower percentage moves. Thows that work for me are Ganseki Nage, Uchi Mata, gokuraku Otoshi especially off a failed hip throw, I even get off muso dori usually off a failed Ganseki. But i also go for Grecco trrows and double and single leg, KumaOni I also like pummeling more than jacket work, I tend to do that more than moving the guy around with the jacket.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    No, really. I read it on the bottle top of a snapple. It must be true.

http://www.koalaexpress.com.au/kangaroo%20facts.htm

learn something new everyday LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/19/2005 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    If a ranked BBT instructor who has studied extensively under the founder and his head student says that aliveness is missing in most all BBT schools should I believe him or you and some other yearling wannabe ninja?
    Read my quote again. That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. And then you get the ones like Shihan Ralph Severe who tries way too hard and teaches bastardized MMA. :confused4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2005 9:16pm

Style: Ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the DO arts were formed after Tokugawa's family unified japan, way back in the day.

arts like kenjutsu (sword), jujutsu (unarmed), jojutsu (staff) which were once the ways of war were no longer needed so they were refined and became cultural exercises, like kendo, judo and jodo.

and exception to this was ninjutsu

Since ninjutsu was not accepted by the japanese as part of their culture. thus there never was and probably never will be a nindo. and nin-po simply is, "the law of the shinobi realm"
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456