Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 6:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naropa is sketchy IMO.

Go to a reputable college or university. You will get up to date curriculum and requirements. Something you can't find for Bridgeport or Naropa. Plus, you have to contact them to send a packet. Which, gives them access to your address and name.

Again these could be legit colleges it is just set up so unlike an accpeted college or university.

The Indiana University is a club program. From the little I read (time to go to class). So, it is just getting certified at a university instead of a certificate from a TKD school.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/11/2005 7:01pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Naropa is sketchy IMO.
    While my gut agrees with you the do have official acredidation from a real body (which also acredited Northwestern abd University of Chicago amoung others).

Go to a reputable college or university. You will get up to date curriculum and requirements. Something you can't find for Bridgeport or Naropa.
    Actually Bridgeport does have the curriculm and requirements on their site (see the above link). They don't have individual syllabuses. And that's non too uncommon. You could level the same complaint against my current school, which is a reputable university.

Again, I still think they are sketchy... but those critiques really don't work.
    The Indiana University is a club program. From the lit

tle I read (time to go to class). So, it is just getting certified at a university instead of a certificate from a TKD school.
    Actually, from what I can tell the Indiana University certificate is far more intellectually rigorous than a standard martial art ranking. This is in part because the program that it's associated with is one for Physical Education instructors. As such they are expected to have a lot of theory as well. The function of that certificate is to demonstrate to an employer that they can teach that content.

Honestly, I think the IU thing looks rather good from a quick perusal.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 10:15pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is extremely interesting, if anybody could post more material that would be intesreting.
    I plan on opening an MMA school when I'm older and want to know as much as possible bout running a martial arts buisness..the rest I can learn in enturpenuers class in high school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 1:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These will look good on your wall. Until something changes I'll stand by my statement. They are sketchy. Now they are accredited colleges so I was wrong in that. But it is philosphy and history mainly with classes in different MA styles. They do make you specialize (Naropa). It could help in your business (MCdojo mainly) if you are attracting noobs.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12