Posted On:
    5/17/2005 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbjjplayer
    Canada? I mean seriously you guys.
    Hell, coming from Alabama, I'm surprised you can even spell Canada.

Now, go back to cruising your family reunion for a date. :badgrin:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 4:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric
    Yeah I hear Fang is brutal money wise....pay for Everything....and their webistes kinda freaKy......gives me the willeys....

Yeah I hear Therien just prac's for tournies and medals. The MT school in Ottawa is supposed to be great. So you do Judo eh? Thats cool. Judo and JJJ are pretty damned close to each other. Hey so I got a question, and I mean no insult by it. Is Judo a sport or is it a MA? Do they teach you how to fight in the ring, or use it to defend yourself on the street?

Oh and since your the only one to reply aside from that posting whore, looks like us two are the only ones in Ottawa on this sight :rolleyes:
    Therien is a horrible place. Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars to think you can defend yourself...you'd seriously be much better off with TKD.
    you're from Ottawa too, eh? do you train?

Judo was made as a more practical form of JJJ, so it can be practiced with full-intensity sparring without causing a lot of injuries and stuff, and to defeat the rival jiu-jitsu schools in Japan (which it did...handily). Judo is a martial art and a sport. It was watered down a bit when it became an Olympic sport (it used to include leg locks), but it is definately still an effective martial art. BJJ was derived from Judo...BJJ = Basically Just Judo with no takedowns and more groundwork, but depending on what judo club you are at, they might do a lot of groundwork. We also do leg takedowns (single leg and double leg). Most of the throws can adapt to no-gi training, but if you're on the street and the person is wearing a jacket or even a shirt, you can grab that. If you want to know more about the history of judo, or really anything about judo, check out www.judoinfo.com It's a wicked site
    Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax).

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 8:26pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jamboo, in your first post when your crying about how yer a fucking innocent getting ripped off in the big city, you state",Keep in mind at this time I was relatively new to martial arts with the exception of my 2 years of judo when I was a kid"

Now above you say" Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax)."

So I gotta ask, were you gifted as a child, or do I detect something not right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 4:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    Jamboo, in your first post when your crying about how yer a fucking innocent getting ripped off in the big city, you state",Keep in mind at this time I was relatively new to martial arts with the exception of my 2 years of judo when I was a kid"

Now above you say" Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax)."

So I gotta ask, were you gifted as a child, or do I detect something not right?
    i did judo at a boys and girls club in PEI when I was a kid...in like grade 5 and 6. then I stopped cause it got boring (probably because the dojo sucked...there were only about 4 people there, all considerably smaller than me).
    i got back into judo in January of this year with my university's club.

i hope that clears things up with you so I can be "a fucking innocent" again. now i'm going to my room to cry

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric
    Oh and since your the only one to reply aside from that posting whore, looks like us two are the only ones in Ottawa on this sight :rolleyes:

Actually, surprisingly enough..there are quite a few people from Ottawa on here I've noticed (including myself)

Although this is a thread on "Bullshido in Ottawa", I gotta throw in a shameless plug for my school Ronin; One of the only schools in North America sending TWO competitors to Abu Dhabi this year :-D

http://www.ronin-mma.com

Good Luck Rima and Karim.

Peace
    Mark Loft
    Ronin MMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2005 10:07am

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I have heard of Ronin. I am not a big fan of MMA but I hear its a good club. Its funny you say that there are a lot of Ottawa people on here.....maybe ill ask a broader question on whos from ottawa without asking for Bullshido clubs. And to answer the prior question, I am currently practicing Wing Chung at Heritage Martial Arts. Good club, and I like it. So come out, come out all you Ottawa people. Tell us what club you go to and if its a good school.

Jaric

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2005 2:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin is a good club with good guys.

I gave a demonstration at Heritage last April and thouroughly enjoyed the atmosphere there. The instructors were very inviting and the open-mindedness was obviously past on to the students.

Following Mark's lead of shameless plugs...

Thai Boxing Academy

306 Rideau Street
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Canada K1N-5Y5
    613-233-6981

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2005 10:15am

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I have heard very good things about your schooloctaviousbp. Only Thai school in the are to boot! I join my kwoon last August, so I must have missed your demo. Actually we just had a seminar with Sensei Hiscoe last week....damn good.....good teacher. Lots of food for thought. I have thought about adding another style to my Wing Chung practice, but I dont think I have what it takes to be a good Kickboxer. Im thinking of adding and internal style....Tai Chi Chuan, or Bagua if I can find a Sifu. Good to hear you from another Ottawa person.....come on guys.....crawl outta your holes and represent!

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 1:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone heard of 100% Martial Arts

Looking if anyone has ever heard anything about this club? Jiu Jitsu and Kick Boxing....looks like another Therien type school

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 4:11pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttershaw
    Looking if anyone has ever heard anything about this club? Jiu Jitsu and Kick Boxing....looks like another Therien type school
    10%(sorry) 100% Martial Arts used to be Therien schools until a split few years back.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast