Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 12:43pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by puppy View Post
    I would suggest the ottawa traditional kung fu school (ottawa shaolin center) headed by master Ly Minh-hong. He's the real thing. Studied since childhood in vietnam. I am his friend anD I know he is good. It is a southern family based kung fu system. That is real, good for self-defense etc...
    Just how do you know it is good for self-defense?
    Just how do you know he is good/the real thing (whatever that is)?
    What martial arts training have you had previously that gives you a basis for comparison?

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: white crane kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained fujian white crane kung fu for 27 years and buck sing choy lay fut for 10 years so i can tell...the real thing is a street fight no rounds ...fight should last no more than a few seconds...
    hope that helps...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 2:55pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here we go again...

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shinjudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo was started over 100 years ago as a refinement of JiuJitsu. It was intended to be used for self-defense and unarmed combat. There was huge debate in Japan over this new Martial Art. Of course this new style Judo had to be tested and JiuJitsu was the one to do it. Jiu Jitsu was the accepted MA of the Japanese police force and Judo wanted the job so an epic battle took place.
    Four of the best Judoka of the time pitted their skills against the fifteen best Jiu jitsu practitioners that Japan's police force had to offer. This was an open weight full contact elimination tournament with no hold bared. Fifteen fights and the four Judoka won all but one of the matches in decisive victory. That one match they didn't win was a called a draw and was coincidentaly against the most powerful of the Jiu Jitsu representative that weighed in well over 230lbs (not 100% on that weight). There is also serious speculation and rumor that two of the Jiu Jitsu fighters died in the battle.
    Judo then took the place of Jiu Jitsu as the MA used by Japans police forces and was also praciced in regular schools as a form of Physical Education. Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo, developed some rules for Judo contests and began promoting Judo as a sport to grow its membership and not long after Judo was accepted as an Olympic sport.
    The Judo tought in clubs today is sport Judo and the goal of many of its techniques is to bring the opponent to his back with force and control. Lots of these techniques used in clubs today depend on the tatami to land on and a referee to end the conflict. That is not to say that sport Judo is not powerful! A throw could easily break an opponents bones and the subbmissions are the forerunners of all the submissions you see today in MMA.
    Judo as it is today is a great MA but lacks the preparation for the realities of self-defense such as facing multiple opponents and dealing with weapons in an attack. Judo does have training for striking and disarming but this is always reserved fot Higher level Black Belts and even then hard to find an instructor that has had that training.

I love Judo and it has served me well for many years wining the day in many real situations, but this day and age is different and the thugs you meet travel in packs and they have no honour and offer no quarter! I have since left sport Judo and found a new path rooted in the same techniques but is more like the Judo of old where strikes, small joint locks and leg locks are allowed and weapons disarming is an every day practice for all levels of the MA. A MA where the goal is not to win but to survive!

Look for Shinjudo in years to come. It is born out of a necessity and true life trails to deal with the conflicts of this modernage.

Cheers,

this is my first post ever... hope it wasn't a rant! lol

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shinjudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo sport or self-defense? My take on it.

:happy8:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric View Post
    Yeah I hear Fang is brutal money wise....pay for Everything....and their webistes kinda freaKy......gives me the willeys....

Yeah I hear Therien just prac's for tournies and medals. The MT school in Ottawa is supposed to be great. So you do Judo eh? Thats cool. Judo and JJJ are pretty damned close to each other. Hey so I got a question, and I mean no insult by it. Is Judo a sport or is it a MA? Do they teach you how to fight in the ring, or use it to defend yourself on the street?

Oh and since your the only one to reply aside from that posting whore, looks like us two are the only ones in Ottawa on this sight :rolleyes:

Judo was started over 100 years ago as a refinement of JiuJitsu. It was intended to be used for self-defense and unarmed combat. There was huge debate in Japan over this new Martial Art. Of course this new style Judo had to be tested and JiuJitsu was the one to do it. Jiu Jitsu was the accepted MA of the Japanese police force and Judo wanted the job so an epic battle took place.
    Four of the best Judoka of the time pitted their skills against the fifteen best Jiu jitsu practitioners that Japan's police force had to offer. This was an open weight full contact elimination tournament with no hold bared. Fifteen fights and the four Judoka won all but one of the matches in decisive victory. That one match they didn't win was a called a draw and was coincidentaly against the most powerful of the Jiu Jitsu representative that weighed in well over 230lbs (not 100% on that weight). There is also serious speculation and rumor that two of the Jiu Jitsu fighters died in the battle.
    Judo then took the place of Jiu Jitsu as the MA used by Japans police forces and was also praciced in regular schools as a form of Physical Education. Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo, developed some rules for Judo contests and began promoting Judo as a sport to grow its membership and not long after Judo was accepted as an Olympic sport.
    The Judo tought in clubs today is sport Judo and the goal of many of its techniques is to bring the opponent to his back with force and control. Lots of these techniques used in clubs today depend on the tatami to land on and a referee to end the conflict. That is not to say that sport Judo is not powerful! A throw could easily break an opponents bones and the subbmissions are the forerunners of all the submissions you see today in MMA.
    Judo as it is today is a great MA but lacks the preparation for the realities of self-defense such as facing multiple opponents and dealing with weapons in an attack. Judo does have training for striking and disarming but this is always reserved fot Higher level Black Belts and even then hard to find an instructor that has had that training.

I love Judo and it has served me well for many years wining the day in many real situations, but this day and age is different and the thugs you meet travel in packs and they have no honour and offer no quarter! I have since left sport Judo and found a new path rooted in the same techniques but is more like the Judo of old where strikes, small joint locks and leg locks are allowed and weapons disarming is an every day practice for all levels of the MA. A MA where the goal is not to win but to survive!

Look for Shinjudo in years to come. It is born out of a necessity and true life trails to deal with the conflicts of this modernage.

Cheers,

this is my first post ever... hope it wasn't a rant! lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:47am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ This is an odd post to necro this Ottawa thread with. Please read the stickies on MABS to understand what this forum us about. New members are encouraged to lurk. Please introduce yourself in newbietown.

- perhaps a mod will cull / move these posts to YMAS.

However, welcome - if you are interested in martial arts history and so forth, you are on the right boards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 7:02pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can find this is the club.
    http://www.stonelionshinjudo.com/Sto...judo/Home.html

http://www.thepioneer.com/?q=taxonom...6%2B116&page=8

New martial art being taught in Belleville
    Submitted by rwash on Fri, 2008-11-07 11:33. Sports
    By Brian St. Denis

Martial artist: Hylton Coxwell performs the kani-basami (flying scissors) throw on Palmer Stephens at the Kung Fu dojo in Belleville, a move that is banned from most martial arts.
    A fresh and unique take on a well-known martial art has arrived at a Belleville dojo.
    Hylton Coxwell and Palmer Stephens, long-time friends and alumni of the Stirling Judo Club, have drawn from over a dozen martial arts to found Stone Lion Shinjudo. The two explained they were disillusioned with the bureaucracy of martial arts in Canada and decided to take matters into their own hands.
    Shinjudo, which means “new gentle way” in Japanese, is a martial art system focusing on practical self-defense. The core is based on evading attacks and turning them against the attacker. This includes advanced tactics like disarming a knife attack, and even what to do if a gun is pointed in your face.
    “Judo the sport is really just about points, referees, matches and tournaments, and that’s not really what I think a martial art should be,” said Coxwell. “I want people to be able to defend themselves, get a lot of exercise and learn things about body mechanics.”
    Shinjudo also focuses on the mental aspect of martial arts, building individuals’ confidence and assertiveness. Coxwell said it makes the difference between walking on the edge or in the middle of the sidewalk.
    Anyone doubting Coxwell’s credentials should know he is no slouch: he received his black belt while training six days a week in Hiroshima, Japan. He’s also studied iaido and kobudo, which are both weapons-based, and aikido, which is similar to shinjudo. Coxwell and Stephens have a combined 30 years of experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 1:06pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    From what I can find this is the club.
    http://www.stonelionshinjudo.com/Sto...judo/Home.html

http://www.thepioneer.com/?q=taxonom...6%2B116&page=8

New martial art being taught in Belleville
    Submitted by rwash on Fri, 2008-11-07 11:33. Sports
    By Brian St. Denis

Martial artist: Hylton Coxwell performs the kani-basami (flying scissors) throw on Palmer Stephens at the Kung Fu dojo in Belleville, a move that is banned from most martial arts.
    A fresh and unique take on a well-known martial art has arrived at a Belleville dojo.
    Hylton Coxwell and Palmer Stephens, long-time friends and alumni of the Stirling Judo Club, have drawn from over a dozen martial arts to found Stone Lion Shinjudo. The two explained they were disillusioned with the bureaucracy of martial arts in Canada and decided to take matters into their own hands.
    Shinjudo, which means “new gentle way” in Japanese, is a martial art system focusing on practical self-defense. The core is based on evading attacks and turning them against the attacker. This includes advanced tactics like disarming a knife attack, and even what to do if a gun is pointed in your face.
    “Judo the sport is really just about points, referees, matches and tournaments, and that’s not really what I think a martial art should be,” said Coxwell. “I want people to be able to defend themselves, get a lot of exercise and learn things about body mechanics.”
    Shinjudo also focuses on the mental aspect of martial arts, building individuals’ confidence and assertiveness. Coxwell said it makes the difference between walking on the edge or in the middle of the sidewalk.
    Anyone doubting Coxwell’s credentials should know he is no slouch: he received his black belt while training six days a week in Hiroshima, Japan. He’s also studied iaido and kobudo, which are both weapons-based, and aikido, which is similar to shinjudo. Coxwell and Stephens have a combined 30 years of experience.

S
    hades of Wally Sloki! That scissor take-down was all his in the karate point matches of the sixties/seventies.

I
    n the video the BB's are using whiter-than-white belts to demonstrate shinjudo. Understanding that, it was perhaps one of the worst demonstrations of shinjudo, as well as the only demonstration I have ever seen.

In the video I noticed the mook jong (or Woodie as I call mine... and not because the arms stick out and are hard, very hard..... You kids... always a dirty mind). I believe that on the left wall in the video is one of those instructional posters that jp, the the king of fsd, plagiarized (can u plagiarize a poster???) from someone, I guess.

What's going on? What are those guys up to?(pick one, and explain)

I have however decided to get back the fsd thread with what I think will be the re-brand name for fsd that I recommend for the all the fsd franchise owners who are breaking away form jp and company and keeping the money they earned.

I present:
    "Shin Fang Shen Do"!

I hereby authorize the name quoted above, in a lovely shade of green, to be used by all and any person willing to use it. Finally a New Way of Survival.

With permission, or on my own accordance, I will re-post portions of this post in the latest fsd thread.

Old1o1
    Oh my-my! Look at me! I'm a cross-threader!

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 9:12am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by old1o1 View Post
    In the video the BB's are using whiter-than-white belts to demonstrate shinjudo. Understanding that, it was perhaps one of the worst demonstrations of shinjudo, as well as the only demonstration I have ever seen.
    I looked at the photos on the site first, and thought "well, maybe they just didn't have someone with some experience taking pics." Then I saw the video ... Man, even against totally compliant partners, and performed at slow speed, the instructor looked like some clumsy newb borrowing sensei's belt for a quick demo.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112