Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    Honestly, I don't understand what the **** the fuss is all about. Imagine for a second that the man in the vidoe was not Clyde, but, say, Asia, Omega, Ronin, or any other people on here that have proven, in person, that they are indeed legit martial artists. They've all lost some matches, especially training ones, that could have been edited just like this little clip.

The reaction would have been just the same.

What's the problem?

****, I get my ass kicked in training all the time, on purpose sometimes.

I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't.

Again, pointless video.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    Honestly, I don't understand what the **** the fuss is all about. Imagine for a second that the man in the vidoe was not Clyde, but, say, Asia, Omega, Ronin, or any other people on here that have proven, in person, that they are indeed legit martial artists. They've all lost some matches, especially training ones, that could have been edited just like this little clip.

The reaction would have been just the same.

What's the problem?
    There is no problem except for one person. Everyone else sees it for what it is.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still thinking a solid hour of garagesale rumaging could come up with a better chair.

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That chair is old, ancient with the force, I sense much evil...dark evil...

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fist of fury
    Seemed to have disappeared from Kenponet pretty quick.....

Clyde and the hucklebuck

http://rapidshare.de/files/1679527/clyde_sparring.wmv

Hey Derek, how funny is it now? So what, you playing Kirk's butt boy now, he hates me so you have to as well? You don't know me, in fact haven't even talked to me.

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 11:44am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja
    Oh yeah, let's turn this against me - what a convenient way to deviate from the subject (the video). I'm not questioning Clyde's skill as a kempoist. I'm questioning the way this sorry clip gets a bullshido stamp of approval with a flood of excuses, whereas similar out of context video clips get passed as proof of bullshido at a regular basis.

It's because I don't live on the same continent as you do, and can't afford to travel to another country just to spar with strangers. Not that I really need to either, I get my ass handed to me in the BJJ class often enough to know where I stand. As for not expressing my opinion face to face - why wouldn't I? Should I be scared? Surely a dedicated martial artist such as yourself can handle some criticism. Why else would you even start a thread like this, unless you're just trying to save some dignity by posting it before someone else inevitably does.

You seem to have a pretty clear idea of who I am for someone who just admitted never having seen me anywhere. If picturing me as a geek whose uninformed opinions are best left ignored makes you feel better about yourself, then by all means believe what you wish. Have a great Kenpo day.

You still haven't qualified yourself, you asshole punk. I'd like to know where the **** I've gone off on a person's video. Anytime I've said anything I've been as neutral as possible. You're not on the same continent? We've had throwdowns in Europe, North America, and Australia. Instead of making an excuse why don't you put yourself out there. If you want to accuse anybody else with the "objectivity" sarcasm line go ahead but you grouped me in there. Put up or shut up IMO.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing as there was a post yesterday I only consider this mild thread-cromancy. But I do have a question about the topic that has been somewhat wondered away from.

Clyde: I think that if you want to practice your takedown defense as someone who is primarily a standing striker that little practice sessions like this would be a good idea. I guess from your responses and your willingness to spar with this guy that you feel the same way. However, you also said that you feel kenpo, as a system, contains everything you need to know. As far as learning to applytakedown defenses by doing some sparring against grapplers, like in this video, do you find you've had to add or deviate from the system?

Also, even though very little is visible on the video, I assume you were well bested positionally once you were on the ground. Now, he's a jujitsu guy so he's spent a lot more time practicing at that range than you, so I don't really think him being able to beat you on the ground means anything. It was a light practice, anyway. But, does your experience with guys like this change your view on the kenpo system or how kenpo is to be applied?

I saw something on applying kenpo principles to ground fighting on Larry Tatum's website. And, while I appreciate his athletic ability, his advice doesn't seem to match up with my experience in MMA. (Though my experience is very brief.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa
    Seeing as there was a post yesterday I only consider this mild thread-cromancy. But I do have a question about the topic that has been somewhat wondered away from.

Clyde: I think that if you want to practice your takedown defense as someone who is primarily a standing striker that little practice sessions like this would be a good idea. I guess from your responses and your willingness to spar with this guy that you feel the same way. However, you also said that you feel kenpo, as a system, contains everything you need to know. As far as learning to applytakedown defenses by doing some sparring against grapplers, like in this video, do you find you've had to add or deviate from the system?

Also, even though very little is visible on the video, I assume you were well bested positionally once you were on the ground. Now, he's a jujitsu guy so he's spent a lot more time practicing at that range than you, so I don't really think him being able to beat you on the ground means anything. It was a light practice, anyway. But, does your experience with guys like this change your view on the kenpo system or how kenpo is to be applied?

I saw something on applying kenpo principles to ground fighting on Larry Tatum's website. And, while I appreciate his athletic ability, his advice doesn't seem to match up with my experience in MMA. (Though my experience is very brief.)
    Yeah we've already had fun with that video. Actually Clyde agreed with us.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/18/2005 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa

My position of Kenpo principles on the ground vary slightly from Larry's, though we're very much on the same page, I just get around more LOL.

No, I don't have to add or lose anything, I've just learned to apply Kenpo while grounded or being taken. It ain't perfected yet but I'm still well on the way.

I'm a Kenpo guy, he's a JuJitsu guy, I held my own for much longer than most until I ran out of gas so I wouldn't say WELL bested rather than bested. And no, it doesn't change my mindset at all about Kenpo, rather it offers a unique perspective working in a 2D environment and learning how to control dimensions within those parameters with someone who has a lot more time and experience in that area. I don't cross-traink, I cross-reference. I feel no need to learn their system but rather learn how to beat it with Kenpo prinicples by training with them.

Ground game happens mostly with untrained fighters who stumble, slip, trip, whatever. Trained fighters like to stay on their feet. And unless you've got a surefire method of takedown on asphalt or other hard surfaces that won't injure you with YOUR contact with the ground, chances are, you'll try to stand and apply your grappling in a 3D environment, IMO, is a better choice. Remember, you're only half in control of that takedown with someone who resists and gives to angles of least resistance to minimize injury to themselves while falling.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345