Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 1:31am

Style: Kenpo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    I don't see any shame whatsoever in tapping from fatigue when you're not an active grappler. First of all, grappling and striking take a very different type of endurance.
    Just my two cents.
    You Know....I totally agree with you on this and great point!

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastmover
    Since Kenponet deletes everything Ill repost some of my thoughts here.

Clyde you were in no position to do an armbar. First he had pulled out his left arm, and second he had you stacked fairly well. However you could have tried to pull off an oma plata with the remaining arm.

Really Clyde I know this may not be something you want to discuss; however, your experience with a grappler is interesting. Instead of throwing insults I am trying to have an intelligent conversation.

It seems as though you set off to work on the stand up game and ended up working on a ground game. Bottom line it could happen to ANYONE and like I said it has happened to me. I do not think it is a bad thing to be tapped by another fighter. I have personally learned a lot by getting my ass kicked by better ground fighters on the mat. I will tell you this however, the guys I train with see tapping because of fatigue as a cop out. You can not quit because you tired on the mat. You might be fat or skinny but when you show up to class dont quit because your tired! Now if you get caught in a arm bar or a choke because your tired...thats the time to tap. One of my training friends was just tapped at UFC by a Gullotine choke. He wasnt tired but he just got caught and I consider him one hell of a ground fighter. It happens to the best!!

Enough of that lets do this.....what was your strategy from a Kenpo stand point going up against a known grappler?
    Well John, I see you joined Bullshido just to **** with me over this vid, how immature is that. Your post here is indicative of an agenda, not a Q & A session, and there is nothing friendly or intelligent about this conversation. There's nothing in that two hour vid they took 90 seconds of that makes me out to be less or more than I claim.

And yes, we had rules, the instructor wanted his guys to get some standup experience, but he didn't want them getting hurt terribly in the process. We agreed to no knees or elbows on the shoot and if it gets to the ground we play their game. The instructor was very cool, kind, and I got some great experience from he and his students.

To answer your question, I didn't have strategy, they weren't trying to hurt me. In a real situation, I'd let the environment and target availability dictate my strategy.

And yes, I was exhausted and asked the guy I'm rolling with if he would allow me to catch my breath before he hurt me, so I suppose that's a tap, like that's a bad thing. BTW, I can say that I don't know that many Kenpo guys willing to get on the mat and roll, much less not get tapped with a submission in less than a few seconds. I like to grapple, it's great cardio-vascular exercise and builds an incredible amout of isometric resistance, but I'm not there to train in grappling, I'm there to train my own ability to remove the ground game from them by learning their methodology of attack.

Try putting your money where you mouth is, you still haven't got any vids of you on the internet do you? In fact, post it here, I'm sure everyone would like to see it now they've had a chance to see your comments about me.

Clyde
    Last edited by Clyde; 5/11/2005 7:14am at .
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 7:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The tap out:

It means you give up, it means that, you are in a position/hold/condition that you can't win the match.

Wether it be from a hold or from pain or from exhaustion, if you can't win you tap out.

Ego has no place on the training mat.

That was a pointless video.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, dude. Look at it the flip way: what do you say about some guy who never taps?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Seriously, dude. Look at it the flip way: what do you say about some guy who never taps?
    Until he wakes up, anything you want.

:glasses11

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde seems like a class act. I'm a huge believer in grappling, but posting a video clip for the sole purpose of demeaning someone accomplishes nothing.

Props to Clyde for being willing to step outside of his dojo & learn something from a different art.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm....I guess Clyde has enemies in the Kenpo world...

Not a surprise.

If that's the worst thing that happened in a two hour session, then whoopee.

Christ, if you guys saw my 'worst moments' from ANY class, I'd be embarrassed as hell.

And the sarcastic captioning made the point that the 'contributor' of this little film has his very own shiny axe to grind...

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 2:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what? I've done a light match with Clyde and he's quite accomplished kenpoist in my opinion. Clyde pulled his techniques on potential harsh techniques (snap to the inside knee, snap to the groin) and he was humble enough to say it'd be different if there were throws and groundfighting. I had fun. What ever everybody in the Kenpo world has against Clyde I can't figure it. He's blunt and to the point (redundant?) but besides that I can't see why the rest of the fobs can't get over their own egos.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde's an AK guy who actually trains hard, spars, and isn't afraid to mix it up with other people in other styles. People like him seem to be a minority disliked by the rest of the community as they're walking reminders of their defficiencies. At least that's my take on it.
    You say what about my rice?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 3:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys know how it is if you been associated with a Mcdojo art. If you go against the grain the "higher ups" insult, demean, and assault your integrity.

This is probably retaliation for his wanting to fix problems in AK.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast